Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Namecheap DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Namecheap DNS

SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Anyone else seeing interruptions with Namecheap's hosted DNS currently (past 20 minutes)?

That is, their domain name servers DNS[1-3].REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM

Comments

• .YES

But up now.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Glad its not just me. I hope they fix it soon.

# dig uk.monitor.x3b.org @DNS1.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
    ;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.
    ;; communications error to 208.64.122.242#53: connection reset

• Yeah i really would like to use them more, seems awesome on paper, but i tried it a couple of times and they keep having issues here and there, only have one domain using it now (not running anything important for now) and yes it was glitching a bit, seems good now :)

• I don't see why they didn't move them behind DDoS protected services after the last outage?

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

More than likely its a complicated attack, or related to total capacity. Given that alot of DDoS attacks involve DNS packets, mitigation for DNS services can be a bit tricky.

Everything seems to have calmed down now, failures reduced to only a handful every minute as of 20 minutes ago, and have stopped entirely now.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited October 2014

@SplitIce, This is one of my few gripes with Namecheap ... (that and the fact that their Whois Privacy is not free after the first year).

I had to move to other solutions for DNS on quite a few domains because of previous DDoS attacks in February 2014.

A shame, because their DNS features are great for a free service (especially their URL forwarding -- it is better than NameSilo's IMHO).

BTW, supposedly their DNS v1 (less features) seems to be less prone to the attacks.