Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutorials / info for making custom server monitor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tutorials / info for making custom server monitor

Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some great server monitoring tutorials. I'm not looking for the ones you just install as id like to learn how to do it and show it on a webpage

Comments

• Why is everyone and their dog making "server monitoring" scripts nowadays?

Your monitor is only as good as the uptime of the probing node(s) you know...

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • MunMun Member

I'm not sure if you are pointing down at me with that comment...

@ginner159 said:
    Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some great server monitoring tutorials. I'm not looking for the ones you just install as id like to learn how to do it and show it on a webpage.

Google around for php and how to get load, disk, network etc.

Then create as you like.

If you want something to look for code to start picking though then try out:
    https://github.com/mojeda/ServerStatus

Hope that helps. C=

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited October 2014

@Mun said:
    I'm not sure if you are pointing down at me with that comment...

If you meant me, no. I'm just seeing loads of server monitoring scripts and service lately, NodePing, ServerStatus, and all the likes; as well as many scripts. It's like reinventing the wheel over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

• GoodHosting said: I'm just seeing loads of server monitoring scripts and service lately

Not just lately, it's been a popular activity for years.

GoodHosting said: It's like reinventing the wheel over and over...

True, but by reinventing the wheel you learn a lot about how wheels work.

• GoodHosting said: It's like reinventing the wheel over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Some people are just looking for an interesting project, not everyone requires enterprise-type monitoring, or maybe they have an existing system that needs to be integrated with.

• I am also trying out a server monitoring script, not because something existing does not fit my need.. but because I wanted an interesting project to learn python.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

GoodHosting said: It's like reinventing the wheel over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

If that would be the case we would only have one brand of cars.

• @MikHo

lol that was a nice statement I agree , but there is another point of view why not use your knowledge to improve an existing script ?? handcoding everything from the scratch is not always the only option left to try.

• @MikHo said:
    If that would be the case we would only have one brand of cars.

It's called a fork.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@GoodHosting said:
    It's called a fork.

Are you telling me I'm driving a fork ? :)
    Same reason why people want to do something their own way. To adapt to their working environment.

Thanked by 1Brad
  • @MikHo said:

No, you're probably driving a Swiss Army Spork by now.

• @GoodHosting said:
    It's called a fork.

Thought it was a spoon?! Lol

Just purely for personal gain as I'll be using my home raspberry pi as a monitoring station. Ooh the blinkey lights!