Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So do you still believe that site design is what it takes to lure customers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So do you still believe that site design is what it takes to lure customers?

So recently I've seen quite a few reviews about 123systems , BoltVM , ChicagoVPS , GVH.

I've also seen people at other boards talking about this clouds4india / vpsraidsolutions and quite a few others saying they have ripped TOS / site design from others and such allegations.

What exactly do you think now matters the most ? Support/Service a company provides or the site content they rip from others just for the sake of letting you know they are on web.

Its like people get lured to beautiful looking service providers and when they F*** you up you start reviewing shit about them. Most of the genuine providers here could've served you better if you hadn't wasted money on fancy looking providers rather than hardworking entrepreneurs.

Then again its only my opinion not to offend anyone in particular but just had to let you know that the saying " DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER " is still valid in the 21st century.

Comments

• -_- why mentioning me here ? ( although I did rip when I was using clouds4india ) the present one however is from comforhost.net since I have my server there

• Different people will make their decisions based on different criteria.

For some, lowest price is all they look at.

Some want a large, reliable, long-established provider.

Some are looking for specific technical requirements.

• Being a solid company with fair prices, simple packages and friendly support will get you far.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

If your service and product is solid, you shouldn't have to rip someone's design.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • @ztec said:
    Being a solid company with fair prices, simple packages and friendly support will get you far.

But people tend to look at the design of our site as he said , I've experienced that criticism here and on vpsboard forum. No matter how good your hardware is and where is co-located people tend to get first impression from the website you host. For most part I agree there but not always , even providers with worst eye appealing web front can provide you awesome customer support prioritizing customer relations. But people don't realize that.

• I never did like continuum's website but I liked their service.

• @Fliphost said:
    If your service and product is solid, you shouldn't have to rip someone's design.

Money used on site can be spent on improving the hardware capacity and performance dont you agree? Site serves the only 1 purpose i.e. to show what you can offer and at what price you can offer and various locations you can offer

• @VPSRAIDSolutions said:
    But people tend to look at the design of our site as he said , I've experienced that criticism here and on vpsboard forum. No matter how good your hardware is and where is co-located people tend to get first impression from the website you host. For most part I agree there but not always , even providers with worst eye appealing web front can provide you awesome customer support prioritizing customer relations. But people don't realize that.

The website needs to show your most appealing sides in the best possible way. Of course your website matters, but not for the reasons most people think.

You can't ask your customers what they want either. It helps to know what they have to say, but they're not running your business. If Apple implemented new features based on what their customers had to say they wouldn't be successful at all.

Split test if you have to make a decision. Don't just change random things and see how it goes.

• Got too tempted to post this here - http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/

• @ztec said:
    Split test if you have to make a decision. Don't just change random things and see how it goes.

thanks for the tip I'll surely follow it

• Form should follow function, not the other way around :)

All too often, hosting providers acquire a template and start shoe-horning bits of content into it. What am I going to put in that giant slider at top? How can I fill in all those links in the footer?

It's just the wrong way to do it IMO. Instead, I think you should write your content first -- in notepad, or Word or whatever. Key messages, product/service descriptions, company background, staff, support services, TOS, etc., etc.

Don't even think about an HTML tag untill it's all complete, checked and polished.

Then make it pretty.

• I think we all want or at least me hehe to look at beautiful websites, but of course ultimately it's about functionality but hey wouldn't it be nice to have both? :)

• It is not only the unique design but also the easy navigation

• Some people call it judging a book by its cover, but a website often says a lot about a company and its business approach.

At the very least the site should be functional (no broken elements/links, loads fairly quickly), has well-structured and well-written content, and include product documentation (unless the product is so simple anyone without experience can use it). This requires some time and effort, and shows the company cares enough either to make sure things are in place (in-house development) or invest in resources to get it done professionally. Such a provider is likely to extend the same level of care to their products and support. It helps reassure visitors they can trust the provider with their data for the long haul.

Of course, an attractive appearance would be great, it makes return visits to check new products/offers more pleasant too. For starters, though, the basics should be in present. As an example, yesterday I was looking at a vps provider website (unmanaged servers) and couldn't find the virtualisation type mentioned anywhere on the site. It's not the first time I've seen this with provider websites, maybe they think customers don't need to know. Some people won't bother to send an email to ask and will just leave if they can't find what they're looking for (it's why some sites have live chat/embedded IRC).

In short, while a website isn't all that it takes to lure customers, it's an important part of the process.

Thanked by 2Admiral_Awesome ucxo
  • ucxoucxo Member
    edited October 2014

souen said: For starters, though, the basics should be in present. As an example, yesterday I was looking at a vps provider website (unmanaged servers) and couldn't find the virtualisation type mentioned anywhere on the site. It's not the first time I've seen this with provider websites, maybe they think customers don't need to know. Some people won't bother to send an email to ask and will just leave if they can't find what they're looking for (it's why some sites have live chat/embedded IRC).

In short, while a website isn't all that it takes to lure customers, it's an important part of the process.

Precisely!

I also like the ones that announce that they have recently added VPS templates for Ubuntu 11.10. :)
    (I encountered one of those about three weeks ago.)

Edit, just to ensure clarity: I won't keep anyone from using Ubuntu on a server if they feel they have to, but using a non-LTS version (.10) from 2011 (in 2014) would be troubling. I assume hope the provider just didn't bother updating the website when they updated the template...

• Jade_GJade_G Member
    edited October 2014

Your website is the first thing a potential customer sees, which is going to make or break their decision on buying from you in my opinion. You can have great hardware and a great network but what's all of that without a decent website.