Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS to use as remote desktop running chromium-browser
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS to use as remote desktop running chromium-browser

I want to purchase a Linux VPS which will let me set up a small footprint desktop environment. In this environment I would like to use the Chrome browser (chromium-browser). I have read that this isn't possible on an OpenVZ VPS. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this?

Comments

• ucxoucxo Member
    edited October 2014

You can run Chromium on an OpenVZ VPS by using the parameter --no-sandbox.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited October 2014

Just curious, but did you consider configuring your VPS as a VPN server (say, with OpenVPN) and running a browser from home? You would get much better performance than with a remote desktop.

If you need to keep everything completely separate from your home system (e.g., browser cookies, etc.), then consider installing your small desktop on a virtual machine on your home computer and connecting securely from the virtual machine through your new VPN server. You can encrypt the virtual machine if necessary. (Or think about TOR or Tails if you need true privacy and anonymity - https://www.torproject.org, https://tails.boum.org)

Perhaps there are other reasons why you want a remote desktop. Do share.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@emg said:
    Perhaps there are other reasons why you want a remote desktop. Do share.

Access the desktop from anywhere.

• Thank you all for the feedback.

My reasoning is this; I work in a restrictive IT environment and would set up VNC on the VPS on port 80 or 443. These are the only ports that are open to the outside world from my office.

From my Windows 7 machine at home I already have a similar set up but I rather not leave my home machine on all the time. This is why I would like to go for a cheap VPS solution where I can do all of my browser based tasks (mainly e-mail and browsing sites that I shouldn't browse from work).

@emg: I have thought of your idea of just running a browser and not a complete desktop but often I need to save files from a website and then include them in a Facebook chat message or attach them to an email on GMail. So I would like to have a full desktop to have access to my directory structure.

• @HHBiJung said:
    Thank you all for the feedback.

My reasoning is this; I work in a restrictive IT environment and would set up VNC on the VPS on port 80 or 443. These are the only ports that are open to the outside world from my office.

From my Windows 7 machine at home I already have a similar set up but I rather not leave my home machine on all the time. This is why I would like to go for a cheap VPS solution where I can do all of my browser based tasks (mainly e-mail and browsing sites that I shouldn't browse from work).

emg: I have thought of your idea of just running a browser and not a complete desktop but often I need to save files from a website and then include them in a Facebook chat message or attach them to an email on GMail. So I would like to have a full desktop to have access to my directory structure.

why not use Windows? I wonder.

BTW: if there's a method to edit VNC's port to 80 quote me

• Because I like Linux. ;-)

I already did a test with TightVNC and I had changed the port to 443 and it worked. Have a look here.

• nitram11nitram11 Member
    edited October 2014

@HHBiJung said:
    Because I like Linux. ;-)

I already did a test with TightVNC and I had changed the port to 443 and it worked. Have a look here.

I understand you like Linux, but what about KS-1 (5.99) or if you have Online.net 1.99 deal, install Windows 7/8 (if you have license), and use ThinRDP (http://www.cybelesoft.com/thinrdp/) - or you can use VNC as well, it will run on 443 and if you use "modern" browser it will run under it with no plugin needed (HTML5)

• I still want to go for Linux on a VPS but I might just try ThinRDP on my Windows machine at home. How much better is it than normal RDP performance-wise?

• This app works also for vnc, so you should be fine. speed is alright, best is the compatibilitywith html5 and it pass through company restrictions...