Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

help - how to move kvm vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

help - how to move kvm vps

corpuscorpus Member
edited July 2012 in General

Hello
I have a kvm vps in EU uning it as a web server and i wand to transfer it to another kvm provider without loosing anything
I am wondering if there is an easy way to do this. The vps has been partitioned to 8 partitions. I dont really care to keep this partition sceme. Please make some advices
Thank you

Comments

• TazTaz Member

Rsync everything over?

• rsync, ask for an image, etc.

• TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited July 2012
    dd if=/dev/sda of=diskimage.img 

This will give you a full disk image of /dev/sda ... however you need enough space for said image. Then you can scp the image over and

dd if=diskimage.img of=/dev/sda 

to restore

• corpuscorpus Member

Rsync:
    So i have to install a base debian, create same root account with same password, create partition table in the new vps and then rsync everything. Then fix some things as /etc/networks. Is it safe? Does anyone here done this without probs?
    without problems? Do i have to pay attention in something?
    Image:
    I have read here in LET that in OV you can transfer the container. Is it possible with KVM somethin like this?
    @TheHackBox this sounds easier way
    Thanks

• yomeroyomero Member

@corpus said: and then rsync everything

Rsync your data, not everything.

@corpus said: Then fix some things as /etc/networks

Most providers have DHCP, I guess.

@corpus said: this sounds easier way

Yes, if the disk isn't mounted or writing stuff. You can do it booting from a recovery CD

Also, you can do a dd over ssh if you don't have enough space:
    http://library.linode.com/migration/ssh-copy

• Maybe you can ask your old provider to give you the disk image and then ask the new provider to upload it but i wouldn't count on it.
    Whatever you do, make sure you have a backup of your important data before you attempt anything.