Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Serverhub Considerations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Serverhub Considerations

I ordered one of Serverhub's low-end dedicated boxes (not VPS) late last month. I had previously had a positive experience with a low-end VPS from this provider, and we're starting to scale, so I decided to take the next step and get a dedicated server. Sadly, it's been a cluster from the start. They were very quick on the draw with invoicing and getting me into the customer system, but once I paid, everything slowed way down.

Before our server was provisioned, support opened a ticket with me to ask about justification for the additional /24 (the raison d'etre of engaging Serverhub's dedicated offering). I emailed our form in, got an email back saying it was approved internally and being sent to ARIN. I waited, finally asking about it on the 1st of October. I was told that the request had been approved and I would receive a reply later in the day with our allocation details. I called later that day about an hour before COB Nevada time to ask for an update and was told that there was a fire affecting multiple customers that needed putting out before they could get the details to me. No problem at all... I have been there many times myself. Two days later, I asked for an ETA on getting those allocation details and upgraded the ticket to High priority. No reply. That evening, I upgraded the ticket to Urgent. No reply. Saturday, I sent another reply to the same ticket asking for a credit since I had been told we would get the allocation details well before the weekend, which is primetime work hours for us (now halfway gone). No reply. Sunday afternoon, I get a different ticket opened up (which says "DO NOT REPLY" in the title) with our allocation details. However there was NO REPLY to the Urgent ticket asking multiple times for status updates. Come to find out today (when I finally received a reply to my ticket SIX DAYS after the last reply), I was replying to a ticket which they had put into the wrong queue.

Finally able to get to work (albeit in my evening hours), today I sent another ticket asking what it would cost to have the /24 routed to the second NIC instead ($100/month). That's fine, I understand the business model, but... No thanks, keep them routed to the first NIC. Well, the IPMI details which were sent to me said nothing about Serverhub's requirement of connecting over their VPN. I was only told this after opening a support ticket and asking what was broken with IPMI. Fine. I connected through their VPN using the IPMI details sent to me, but I kept getting disconnected when trying to use the web console. It took another ticket to find out that the web console was broken and buggy because of something Supermicro did. Alright. I'll use IPMIView. Well, it didn't work. "Connection Error" on both IPMIView and in the java applet initiated on the IPMI-website-over-VPN they have going. One more support ticket later, they had to reset something, and I could finally actually use the IPMI.

For anyone considering Serverhub, don't expect anything meaningful out of their client area like you can with OVH or Hetzner or really anybody else. There isn't another way to install a different OS except through IPMI. Or, if there is another way, that information hasn't been communicated to me despite asking how to install a different OS in one of my support tickets. I have the feeling that when (probably) John replies to this post to defend Serverhub, I'm going to be told that actually, you can install a different OS using some other method. But because I didn't ask specifically about that method, their support guy wouldn't tell me. It's the old game of "if you don't ask me specifically, I won't tell you" with Serverhub's support.

It must be said that I have no expectation of support beyond getting what I'm actually paying for. I do not expect anyone to hold my hand in any part of this process. But I have been sitting on this dedicated server for a week now trying to coordinate getting simple information out of Serverhub support so that I can actually use the thing. We bought two dedicated boxes with other providers elsewhere and those have been set up and running in production for a week now. I am still struggling to get things working correctly with Serverhub.

I feel a bit bad posting these kinds of things, but seriously, you're not doing me a favor. I'm paying you.

Comments

• What puzzles me is why would you have to pay $100.00/mo to route the IPs to a second NIC. What makes less sense is why would you need to do that on a "NIC" Level? Your server, and it's NICs, should on a VLAN to which the /24 is routed anyway, and you can assign the IPs to whichever NIC you want.

Thanked by 1L0j1k
  • I would definitely take advantage of the second interface, but I'm not chomping at the bit to pay one hundred United States dollars a month for them to click a mouse and start routing traffic to it. This is one of those things clearly intended to help them make their margin against the competitive dedicated server offering. That being said, I mean it when I say I'm not trying to work an angle here. I'm just putting it out there. Serverhub made good on a special offer, while a very similar-sounding offer at OVH does not mean what everyone thinks it means. However, our dedicated server at OVH has been shouldering production load for a week now and we bought it AFTER we bought this one.

• I am curious which server did you get from them and how much did you pay for it. Also how much did they charge you for the /24?

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    I am curious which server did you get from them and how much did you pay for it. Also how much did they charge you for the /24?

Over at WHT they supposedly give /24 for free with "proper justification"

• INIZ said: Over at WHT they supposedly give /24 for free with "proper justification"

Hah! With the IPv4 Shortage, I find this a bit too much. But that's just me...

• DalekOfSkaro said: Hah! With the IPv4 Shortage, I find this a bit too much. But that's just me...

Who are you with? :)

• DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited October 2014

MartinD said: Who are you with? :)

We use our own IP Allocation and we house our servers with ColoCrossing in the U.S. and RapidSwitch in the U.K.