Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are you using for email and are you using a GUI - if so what?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

jeromezajeromeza Member
edited October 2014 in General

What are you using for email?
  1. Postfix33 votes
    1. Postfix
      78.79%
    2. Exim
      18.18%
    3. Qmail
        3.03%

Comments

• Postfix, yes. PostfixAdmin as a GUI, yes.

• Postfix + Virtualmin as GUI/CP.

• Postfix - didn't know there was a GUI.

Thanked by 1tux
  • Zimbra - which uses postfix internally.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited October 2014

@Silvenga said: Postfix - didn't know there was a GUI.

Not in Postfix, no. PostfixAdmin is a separate app, so is Virtualmin, of course. I went with Virtualmin because: 1) it installs and sets the whole MX up for you and 2) it works with text files, so no need for a MySQL back end.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Postfix + Webmin

• Postfix+Dovecot+Spamassassin+Hastymail2 as a Webmail GUI. No configuration frontend.

• Exim w Roundcube

• Previously: Exim + Spamassassin + Horde (Webmail + a couple of other bits)

Current: Postfix (PostfixAdmin for adding mailboxes) + Dovecot + Dspam + Clamav + Greylisting + Roundcube for webmail (which I don't use often)

Soon to be: Not sure ... probably Postfix + Dovecot + Roundcube again. Not sure about the other bits. Not a huge fan of Spamassassin or DSPAM (esp as its a largely dead project, and currently failing after working well for a year odd).

• Axigen/postfix (w postfixadmin + roundcube)

Since then, I've moved to mxroute/zoho to reduce the amount of work that goes into maintenance.

• @StellaEV said:
    Since then, I've moved to mxroute/zoho to reduce the amount of work that goes into maintenance.

Cheers for mentioning MXRoute, didn't know about them. I should go that route, I really should, but I'm not quite trusting enough; I'd rather be the one holding the keys to my email. Though $15 a year is pittance ...

• Currently using Yandex mail.

• tarasis said: I should go that route, I really should, but I'm not quite trusting enough

MXRoute is great. The service itself is solid -- 'Set it and forget it,' as the old Ronco commercials used to say -- and @Jar is probably one of the most trustworthy people on the forum.

Thanked by 1jar
  • ucxoucxo Member
    edited October 2014
    • 2×Postfix* (as MTA)
    • 2×Dovecot* (as MDA and IMAP server, with master-master replication)
    • 2×Rainloop (webmailer, replicated via GlusterFS)

Redundancy FTW!

* Configured via the config files, of course. ;)

I should probably set up SpamAssassin eventually, but I couldn't be bothered yet. My Sieve rules are doing the job reasonably well so far.

• Postfix + Dovecot. Didn't even know there is a GUI for them, why would you need one? :)

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited October 2014

@Crab said: Postfix + Dovecot. Didn't even know there is a GUI for them, why would you need one? :)

Convenience. As much as I enjoy the power feeling shell gives you, keeping track of things and making mundane changes in text files using the likes of nano or even WinSCP is much less fun. Enter Virtualmin. Login, select host, select/add/modify/remove mailbox. And another and another, if need be. Click, click, all done in under 30 seconds to a minute at the outside ;)

Not to mention the option of mailbox users to change stuff by themselves - passwords, email forwarding, vacation messages and what not...

• I was using SmarterMail, now I'm using Google Apps, and I'm currently setting up Open-Xchange. I like Microsoft Exchange alternatives, idk why :-)

• @cassa said:
    I was using SmarterMail, now I'm using Google Apps, and I'm currently setting up Open-Xchange. I like Microsoft Exchange alternatives, idk why :-)

Where did you get Open-Xchange to set up for yourself :O

• @0xdragon said:
    Where did you get Open-Xchange to set up for yourself :O

This should help you out

http://oxpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=AppSuite:Main_Page_AppSuite#quickinstall

The appsuite is quite nice imo, only the search function is utter ****

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @xDutchy said:

Thank you so much :D

• @xDutchy said:

Jep, that one :-)

• @xDutchy said:

I've used appsuite before and it's really nice, though it was on top of my current mail server setup. Does OX have its own mail server system or do you always have to have it on top of postfix and dovecot like setup?

• Install is done :D

@CFarence said:
    I've used appsuite before and it's really nice, though it was on top of my current mail server setup. Does OX have its own mail server system or do you always have to have it on top of postfix and dovecot like setup?

Nope, it doesn't have a mailserver included.