Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colo or dedicated?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colo or dedicated?

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited July 2012 in General

Hi

Would you recommend using colo or dedicated? I don't actually live close to a DC myself so wouldn't be able to go over there often at all.

It's not used for a production environment, so it's not mission-critical

Thanks

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member

Depends on how powerful of a machine you need. IMO there are points where you need colo over dedicated and visa versa.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Not production, not critical, I'd rent and get a great budget deal like kimsufi or VolumeDrive, unless it's above their quality in priority.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Corey said: Depends on how powerful of a machine you need. IMO there are points where you need colo over dedicated and visa versa.

Well, I am not really up to date in the market. I.e. I don't know where most purchase their kit from etc and I don't know if it's going to turn out cheaper or not. I was looking at JoesDC (as its not a production environment) and they have some nice deals over there (1U-4U for $50 per month).

Or there is a dedicated server, less powerful, for the same price.

@liam said: Guernsey's not that big Dominic!

^^^

@liam said: Why not visit their datacentre and kindly ask at the end what deal they can do for you, use your age?

Could do that, might give them a call actually. I've emailed them but not sure when I'll get a response. Guernsey and emailing don't go very well.

edited July 2012

Will give a ring to JT (Guernsey) and JT/Foreshore (Jersey) and see if they can do any deals tomorrow when they're open

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Sorry for being slightly off-topic.. but Joe's Datacenter.. just looked at their website.. The 1-4U Single Server Colo for $50.. is that legitimate?

Not $50 per unit..? Is it actually $50 for 4U, so $12.50 per unit?

If so then I'm tempted by this D:.

• I think that's only one server. So one server can be between 1U and 4U in size.

edited July 2012

@liam said: before you ask for a deal, sell yourself! My name is Dominic, how are you today? I'm a budding young guy who enjoys tech and servers. I found your company and I'd love to be a customer. What deal can you do etc

Yep, will do. Cheers :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@liam said: sell yourself

That's how I paid for college.

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited July 2012

^ lol

If you don't need any special requirements (like RAID) and don't have spare hardware lying around, then you'll be able to find a dedicated for a better price. Colocation becomes an advantage when you have multiple servers with special requirements. Many dedicated hosting providers have great deals for smaller servers with a generic setup.

• CoreyCorey Member

@dominicl you never stated how powerful of a machine you needed or if you had any special requirements. Of course colo isn't viable if you just need a raspberry PI with bandwidth, or an intel pentium III processor with 128MB ddr ram.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

I'd normally say Co-lo everytime, however when your friends with a commercial director of a datacentre company hardware rental tends to be cheaper than you can co-lo for!

• It depends on your plans for the future.

• do you plan to grow the amount of servers you need?
    • do you plan to keep the servers running for the full time of its lifecycle?
    • do you have the upfront cash for buying hardware?
    • do you have the upfront cash for spare hardware?

Depending on the answers to the things above you should go for colocation.
    Colocation has it's advantages over Dedicated, but it's the same the other way around.

When you want the "best" of both worlds you could look into rent to own perhaps.

• If you're planning on getting a server worth more than $1000 then definitely go with colocation. It'll pay off in the long run.

• I colo and regret nothing, but it DOES add up when things break, and they tend to break a lot.

• @bijan588 said: I colo and regret nothing, but it DOES add up when things break, and they tend to break a lot.

What sort of things breaking have you dealt with? Hard drives? PSUs?

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited July 2012

The thing that scares me the most is DDoS attacks. Taking out my whole network then all your servers are down. Scares me the most.

• @Spencer said: my hole network

whole*

• @Spencer said: The thing that scares me the most is DDoS attacks. Taking out my hole network then all your servers are down. Scares me the most.

You should patch up that holey network of yours. :)

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @Brandon said: You should patch up that holey network of yours. :)

Fixed!

• @Brandon said: What sort of things breaking have you dealt with? Hard drives? PSUs?

Switch's (twice), Router(once), and HDD(six) are the ones that have happened so far

• @bijan588 said: Switch's (twice), Router(once), and HDD(six) are the ones that have happened so far

I can say I run 10 dedi and I have only had one stick of RAM die in the past 6 months. Your just hated!

• @Spencer said: I can say I run 10 dedi and I have only had one stick of RAM die in the past 6 months. Your just hated!

Yeah, I guess I am.

Heres my setup.

3 of the failed drives were on the bottom HP server

http://gyazo.com/bc1ab91df8f53de0fb32b639de9438e0.png

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I would choose dedi unless I already own the server.
    It is much less headache if you choose a good host. Take care at the extras, such as remote management, if they dont offer anything and charge 50 dollars an hour to replug your UTP patch they unplugged by "mistake" then I would avoid them.
    If there is nothing critical, get a kimsufi, if you need reinstall a lot and remote admin, get some older HP server or supermicro, you might get a good deal at hetzner or some other place.
    For non-critical, testing, development box with no long term strings attached, definitely go dedi.
    M

• KairusKairus Member
    edited July 2012

I would absolutely go with a dedicated in this situation. It sounds like you don't own the hardware you would colo, so that's a big upfront expensive, and then shipping it to a datacenter, spare parts would be another problem. It could get costly paying for remote hands to replace the hardware (some datacenters won't touch your hardware either, or charge a crapton). Just rent and if you find you don't need it anymore you can cancel, or upgrade to a better machine whenever you want.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I find it that used hardware has lower failure rate than new and I like to put in production things that I already know are working well for some time.
    It sure depends on your provider of used hardware, but I would never go with the bleeding edge of anything into production. Only things I dared to put directly into production were Intel BX and via KT series of mobos, long ago, otherwise I consider it too risky, at least some testing beforehand is needed.
    M

• @liam said: No offence, but you do use used hardware, hence the higher fail rate?

Used Harddrives? Hell naw, I do used used servers, but the server itself has never failed on me.

• flyfly Member

@bijan588 said: I colo and regret nothing