Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the latency between west coast and Hawaii?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the latency between west coast and Hawaii?

Was researching about latency between Hawaii and west coast, but couldn't find any numbers. Does anyone have this information?

Comments

• Depends what ISP from Hawaii

Hawaiian Telcom for example has great ping to California, Not sure about the other regions in the west however with my ISP in Maui, I get around 90-110MS.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited October 2014

@nexmark said: ...Hawaiian Telcom for example has great ping to California, Not sure about the other regions in the west however with my ISP in Maui, I get around 90-110MS.

Interesting. Seems pretty slow to me, only marginally better than Tokyo. Would've expected something on the order of 60-70ms.

What kind of latency do you get in the other direction - say to HK or Tokyo?

• When I lived on the Big Island I had Oceanic Time Warner cable I would get 60ms to Los Angeles

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • acidpukeacidpuke Member
    edited October 2014

It always went to the Mainland then back out, I never seen it go from Hawaii directly to HK or Tokyo..... it would be around 120ms to 140ms to Tokyo

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited October 2014

Last time I checked Time Warner had the best connectivity (in terms of performance) from Hawaii to Los Angeles

• @MarkTurner said:
    Last time I checked Time Warner had the best connectivity (in terms of performance) from Hawaii to Los Angeles

Hawaiian Telecom Fiber gets 55MS or lower

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Anyone in Hawaii or have a test ip there so we can run some tests?

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @acidpuke said: It always went to the Mainland then back out, I never seen it go from Hawaii directly to HK or Tokyo..... it would be around 120ms to 140ms to Tokyo

Hmmm... this in turn seems a bit too fast to go round via West Coast... have you ran a trace route showing it goes around?

• @aglodek said:

For 150ms it can reach Tokyo and back.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited October 2014

@concerto49 said: For 150ms it can reach Tokyo and back.

Have you ever flown across the Pacific? Its really a looong one! Like flying East Coast to Europe and back ;) Anyways, LA to Tokyo is >100ms. Add to that 60ms to Hawaii and the math doesn't add up (120-140ms Hawaii to Tokyo via West Coast?).

• @aglodek said:
    Have you ever flown across the Pacific? Its really a looong one! Like flying East Coast to Europe and back ;) Anyways, LA to Tokyo is >100ms. Add to that 60ms to Hawaii and the math doesn't add up (120-140ms Hawaii to Tokyo via West Coast?).

I live in Hawaii, Give me an IP I'll traceroute and ping

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • aglodek said: Have you ever flown across the Pacific? Its really a looong one! Like flying East Coast to Europe and back ;) Anyways, LA to Tokyo is >100ms. Add to that 60ms to Hawaii and the math doesn't add up (120-140ms Hawaii to Tokyo via West Coast?).

I have flown. Have you not read the cable maps? There's a landing point in Hawaii. It's the 1/2 way point for some cables. Also over PC-1 Seattle->Ajigaura is only 80ms.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited October 2014

@concerto49 said:

Sorry, misunderstood your post. Thx for the info :)

@nexmark said: I live in Hawaii, Give me an IP I'll traceroute and ping

Try: hk.edis.at (158.255.208.1). Thx.

• @aglodek said:

Sorry, Little late

Ping

Traceroute

Thanked by 1aglodek