Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with simple table in WordPress 4.0 (past in from Excel 2010)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help with simple table in WordPress 4.0 (past in from Excel 2010)

myhkenmyhken Member
edited October 2014 in General

Hello.

I have used Excel to maintain a table for my Top20 list on my review site for years now.
Just do the work in Excel, and then copy and past the table in to WordPress.

But with WordPress 4.0, you can't past tables from Excel any more. So currently I'm using a screen shot (picture) of the table.

Do anybody know about a plugin or any other thing that make it easy to maintain a table in WordPress?
Since I edit the table from time to time, and have to move things down and up, it has to be easy to use.

Any advice on how to get this into a workable table in WordPress 4.0?

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

WordPress does have a built in tables system. Is this not suitable?

• It did not work like I needed it before, but it's years since I tried. Maybe it has gotten better?

• How about TablePress plugin ?

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @myhken said:
    It did not work like I needed it before, but it's years since I tried. Maybe it has gotten better?

Simple, convert the table to HTML and add it to WordPress.

I believe Excel has built-in functionality for this, but there are many sites that offer this functionality.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • wychwych Member
    edited October 2014

WordPress has functionality for tables, not sure why you'd need a plugin for tables.

• I recommend TablePress.

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited October 2014

@wych said:
    WordPress has functionality for tables, not sure why you'd need a plugin for tables.

Because before WordPress 4.0, I could copy and past tables direct from Excel 2010 into wordpress, and it worked 100%.

After they upgraded WordPress to WordPress 4.0, you can't past tables into Wordpress anymore.
    And it's more easy to work on a top20 list in Excel, then in normal tables, since I'm moving stuff all the time, and it's lots of work without Excel.

• edited October 2014

Try installing tinyMCE, then turn it on to replace wordpress' default editor and try copy/paste that table again.

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited October 2014

@khuongcomputer said:
    Try installing tinyMCE, then turn it on to replace wordpress' default editor and try copy/paste that table again.

Tried this, did not work in WP 4.0

• wychwych Member
    edited October 2014

@myhken said:
    Because before WordPress 3.9, I could copy and past tables direct from Excel 2010 into wordpress, and it worked 100%.

Go to 4.0, just tried it on my blog and it pulled the table in fine; however it didn't pull in the cell shading/colours.

It also works just in code view but gave a more csv kind of styling to the table.

• @wych said:
    It also works just in code view but gave a more csv kind of styling to the table.

Sorry, I have Wordpress 4.0 so it's there it's not working. and I'm using Office 2010, and I see you use Office 2013, so I think it works with office 2013 but not 2010.
    Maybe I have to upgrade Office to 2013...I hate it, but maybe I have... :D

• @myhken said:

Will try it on 10 when I get home, I doubt there is that much difference between them as I know it works in Office 07 too.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • As I told you all, it worked fine with every WordPress version since 2010 (when I started reviews.myhken.com), but now, after upgrading to Wordpress 4.0, this is what I get if I past in the same table from Excel 2010 as I always have used on my website:
    Edit:
    Now it worked again...WTF. Two days I have had this issue, and now it suddenly start working again. Thank you for all the help.

• @myhken said:
    Edit:
    Now it worked again...WTF. Two days I have had this issue, and now it suddenly start working again. Thank you for all the help.

Sounds legit, glad its fixed!