Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Euro 5.99 server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Euro 5.99 server

Online.net had released some 40 nos of 5.99 euro yesterday will it be of any use in buying them? We already had one but cancelled before some time, had they improved?

Comments

• @programer said:
    Online.net had released some 40 nos of 5.99 euro yesterday will it be of any use in buying them? We already had one but cancelled before some time, had they improved?

Same boxes. But a hefty setup fee now.

• vampireJvampireJ Member
    edited October 2014

same cpu as the 1.99euro promo but bigger hdd it seems
    http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-scg2

• Yes but will they really work? Can it be used for production purpose?

• programer said: Yes but will they really work? Can it be used for production purpose?

Yes you can :) any server can used for production, but think twice before

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

programer said: Yes but will they really work?

Yes this is really a server and it really works.

Can it be used for production purpose?

Depends on what you "produce".

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • programerprogramer Member
    edited October 2014

@rm_ said:
    Depends on what you "produce".

We need the site to be up without downtime. What was asked is will this be used for live websites rather than be used as testing servers

• LeeLee Veteran

@programer - There is no reason it can't be used as a production server, ensure you have an adequate backup strategy in place as you would with any other production service.

• Kimsufi still beats them with cpu/setup fee/price.

• @sandro said:
    Kimsufi still beats them with cpu/setup fee/price.

No extra IPs though, if that's important to you.

• LeeLee Veteran

For a production server though you are better with the support from online.net, you could wait days for an issue to be resolved with Kimsufi.

• They should really lower that setup fee then. If they offer more support but lower cpu power for €1 more they can't ask that hefty €20 setup.

• I'd take Online.net's support over a box with KS anyday in production.

Granted the setup fee is a little kick in the balls.

Thanked by 2tarasis Amitz
  • wych said: I'd take Online.net's support over a box with KS anyday in production.

Granted the setup fee is a little kick in the balls.

I am not a big fan of setup fees. I would rather pay a bit more per month then those fees no matter how much they happen to turn out to be cheaper in the long run.

I may only keep the box a couple months if it does not work out as planned then you have those fees involved. Seems like a big waste of money from a consumer's perspective. I understand why provider's do it, but still it may turn a lot of legit customers like me off sometimes is all.

• AuroraZ said: I may only keep the box a couple months if it does not work out as planned then you have those fees involved.

Well, that's sort of exactly why companies charge setup fees. They don't want customers who are going to cancel after a couple of months.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • DalCompDalComp Member
    edited October 2014

Ideally, they could setup both options for the customers to choose. One with setup fee, another without but higher monthly pricing. Like seflow.net or incero. Good flexibility for short-term project needs and allow new potential customers to try and test. But maybe they think or they know that there is more than enough demand to their servers so they decided to filter their customer base, i.e. long term ones only.

• @DalComp said:
    Ideally, they could setup both options for the customers to choose. One with setup fee, another without but higher monthly pricing. Like seflow.net or incero. Good flexibility for short-term project needs and allow new potential customers to try and test. But maybe they think or they know that there is more than enough demand to their servers so they decided to filter their customer base, i.e. long term ones only.

Or no setup fee with a minimum term contract?

• @kcaj said:
    Or no setup fee with a minimum term contract?

Certainly possible. Like SYS which frees setup fee on 1 year purchases.

• @DalComp said:
    Certainly possible. Like SYS which frees setup fee on 1 year purchases.

Which company it is?

• @programer said:

SYS = SoYouStart.com ~ Part of OVH

• DalComp said: Certainly possible. Like SYS which frees setup fee on 1 year purchases.

That would make sense and would probably be interesting for them commercialy...

Those servers aren't too bad for the price.. even compared to the 1.99 offer they had... :)

1. What does "IPKVM: On demand" mean?
    2. Is it easy/possible at all to install from your own iso?
  • lelf said: What does "IPKVM: On demand" mean?

You get KVM over IP on demand, it has to be requested via a support ticket rather than it being instantly available 24/7.

• kcaj said:
    You get KVM over IP on demand, it has to be requested via a support ticket rather than it being instantly available 24/7.

And it's only guaranteed for 12 hours. After that, they'll disconnect it when the next customer needs it.