Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare down?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare down?

I just checked and ONLY my sites behind cloudflare are inaccessible by me and an associate at a remote location.

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited October 2014

PM me an URL if you want me to check, but LET is up and thats behind CF.

https://www.cloudflare.com/system-status is showing all green.

• On my site i am seeing lots of errors on just getting to my cloudflare ip address.

• wych said: PM me an URL if you want me to check, but LET is up and thats behind CF.
    https://www.cloudflare.com/system-status is showing all green.

Must be cloudflare Dallas then?

• @wych said:
    PM me an URL if you want me to check, but LET is up and thats behind CF.

I'm seeing colocrossing IP on LET so probably not behind CF at this moment?

Thanked by 2Corey netomx
  • Corey said: Must be cloudflare Dallas then?

Their Twitter was updated recently:

CloudFlareStatus @CloudFlareSys · 8m 8 minutes ago

We are investigating upstream network issues in North America.

• Seeing errors at LET all day. Now it's routed to colocrossing IP and all is fine.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Same as @Profforg. LET has been up and down like a yoyo today.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2014

Their twitter is updated more than the status page, see https://twitter.com/cloudflare (they're having issues in NA)

Profforg said: Seeing errors at LET all day. Now it's routed to colocrossing IP and all is fine.

This is most likely due to DDoS/Flood, i'm sure @jbiloh can confirm

• Routing leak, like when @VolumeDrive broke the internet.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

We should register: webroketheinterwebs.ovh and list all such providers.

Thanked by 2netomx strex
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Combination of attacks and cloud flare issues caused the problems on leb/let today. Sorry about that guys.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • jbiloh said: Combination of attacks and cloud flare issues caused the problems on leb/let today. Sorry about that guys.

Did you bypass the CF system or was that actions of CF?

• I hate cloudflare, when they show no connection with the server error... First reaction of the customer is to blame the hosting for downtime ....

P.S. Currently LET headers show clear nginx not cloudflare nginx thing it is paused at the moment...

Thanked by 1eLohkCalb
  • coolice said: I hate cloudflare, when they show no connection with the server error... First reaction of the customer is to blame the hosting for downtime ....

P.S. Currently LET headers show clear nginx not cloudflare nginx thing it is paused at the moment...

It could be anything since the clients local CF PoP makes the connection to the origin server.

• It's a route leak. Someone announced CF's ip. Check CF's twitter

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited October 2014

Edit: Wrong thread. fml.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2014

https://blog.cloudflare.com/route-leak-incident-on-october-2-2014/

This downtime was the result of a BGP route leak by Internexa, an ISP in Latin America. Internexa accidentally directed large amounts of traffic destined for CloudFlare data centers around the world to a single data center in Medellín, Colombia.

I can only imagine how much DDoS traffic they pointed at themselves with that gaffe :-)

Thanked by 1strex

Really concerning how often that is happening these days.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jbiloh said: Really concerning how often that is happening these days.

Been very frequent the past 6 months or so.

• Revolting engineering practices abound, the Internet is a keystroke away from disaster on any given day.

Thanked by 1netomx

We're considering doing away with cloudflare as most recent outages and hiccups have been because of them.

• @jbiloh said:
    Really concerning how often that is happening these days.

I think you can put a digital signature on your BGP route

• @jbiloh said:
    We're considering doing away with cloudflare as most recent outages and hiccups have been because of them.

http://www.maxcdn.com/

• jbiloh said: We're considering doing away with cloudflare as most recent outages and hiccups have been because of them.

Weird - this was the first issue I had seen with them.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @jbiloh What @Corey said. First issues I've had.. Are you sure all the caching, page rules, security and such are setup properly?

There's been numerous more isolated issues they don't broadcast on Twitter or on their status page. No one is perfect after all.

• MunMun Member

@jbiloh said:
    There's been numerous more isolated issues they don't broadcast on Twitter or on their status page. No one is perfect after all.

LOL coming from you after you went after me for saying your DCs are "excellent".

On a side note, most of the issues on LET are also because of the cluster lowendtalk uses in the backend. If I am not mistaken they are using multiple geo-diverse locations with a front end + mysql. These sort of setups can be very damaging. Not to mention, Cloudflare doesn't have a good round robin system in place.

With the amount of money you make, you should be able to get to a paid tier and get tons better performance as well, and get https:// in the process, but that makes to much sense......

Mun

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited October 2014

mikeyur said: @jbiloh What @Corey said. First issues I've had.. Are you sure all the caching, page rules, security and such are setup properly?

CloudFlare is good, but not perfect. I've seen a lot of problem's with them last year. I can't tell all of them because some of them are very serious and related to private discussions with them, but here's a little:

1) Issue with rocket-loader, if it's at 'auto' or 'manual' mode there are a chance, that all your scripts ('auto' mode) or the ones which have attribute 'data-cfasync' ('manual' mode) will not be loaded. The problem here is that this problem is very hard to detect and report. I detected this accidently, one of my clients starts to lose half of revenue from advertising every day - that prompted me to make deep tests and this way i've found that only at one domain, there are such issues with Rocket Loader, no errors reported - just scripts is not loaded.

Solution: disable Rocket Loader

2) Resource limits. While they said, there are no limits - there are. If you plan to have CloudFlare in place of high-traffic website, be ready to have all of your resources usually uncached. The problem is that if there are many static resources loaded at the moment, only a few of them will be cached. So, if we're talking about 1000 new images (for example) per second - most of them will not be cached. Only a few or little % will.
    Also about traffic - if you have more than 100 TB traffic per month, they'll insist you to go Business plan. So be ready that if you rely on CloudFlare, you'll need to pay, or to move away.

Solution: Disable CloudFlare [proven it helps] or pay 200$ per month [no proof that it helps]

3) Scammers use CloudFlare. The internet is built on trust. If you don't trust IP, you ban it. At CloudFlare, there are hundreds of websites on one IP. It leads to the problem of IP banning. Many CloudFlare IP's is banned at blacklists. Also, in Russia, many CloudFlare IP's is blacklisted by recently-invented global blacklist (just like China firewall). Because of it, you can lost big % of your visitors and you'll not know about it.

Solution: Disable CloudFlare

4) Completely crazy "Interface customization". It inlines all external resources which makes it impossible to use any tracking / analytics systems inside these pages. Also you need update them all the time when you change something. You can't just add external resources here and update this external resource. Also i saw few errors with it inside their control panel, which make it a bit of pain to work with it.

Solution: Not exist

5) WAF blocks real users. It's really a shit. WAF is blocking 35% of real users (even myself) while i visit simple pages. And this is at light mode (may be called "unsecured").

Solution: Disable WAF

6) Even little Layer7 DDoS and you will go to CloudFlare-disabled state.

Solution: custom set up (will not publish it)

7) Always online really rarely works correctly on free plans. Usually no pages are cached by Always Online. Sometimes only the main page cached, but all other is not.

Solution: Not exist

8) Polish & Mirage image optimization / Mobile optimizations - it usually slow down performance for PC (computers) and make it sucks. Because it loads images async, even little bad javascript make your images to load after 5-10-20 seconds after initial page overview to come. So if your website is based on images - with these enabled, your users will hate you. But if your website is not based on images - this feature is useless for you (will not give much speed up).

Solution: Disable Polish & Mirage image optimization / Mobile optimizations
    Alternative Solution: Suggest CloudFlare to make an ability to bypass Polish & Mirage image optimization / Mobile optimizations for non-mobile devices.

I don't blame CloudFlare. I just state the facts.

and get https:// in the process, but that makes to much sense......

About https - it's not easy to make all links protocol-free. At LET, many links are forced to be http:// and this is why inventing of https:// is not the best idea. There are less ways to rewrite code to use relative URL's and i don't know any way which is highload-friendly.
    To use https now, they need just to change SSL mode to "Flexible" inside control panel, but website will not work correctly with HTTPS mode - visitors will need to click "Load untrusted content" at Chrome. At other browsers, you may not be able to load pages correctly.

With the amount of money you make, you should be able to get to a paid tier and get tons better performance as well

I doubt that LET make much profit :) There are only static banners and it's selled via buysellads, which have own commissions :) I guess even Google AdSense will give more money than that. Just a guess, i don't know real numbers, so can't be sure :)

If you mean CloudFlare PRO plan - there are very little difference. It can help, but only in some specific cases.

On a side note, most of the issues on LET are also because of the cluster lowendtalk uses in the backend. If I am not mistaken they are using multiple geo-diverse locations with a front end + mysql. These sort of setups can be very damaging.

There are no way to deliver 50+ uncached pages per second without cluster. Cluster set up is required to have adequate performance at peaks even if your website is not very big.

If it is geo-diverse, then yes, it's a stupid way. Much better to use local cluster nodes.

Thanked by 1badpatrick
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I can attest to some of the problems reported by @Profforg and many others too.

CloudFlare can be great at marketing and some innovation but the technical side has some trough edges, to say at least.

Also, would be nice if they provided trully redundant nameservers. They use exactly the same routers and upstreams for each primary and secondary, which is simply delusion to many of their users.

• Do paid users experience the same issue as what the free plan users experience here? I have tried CF's free plan, but I can't say if paid users are experiencing the same thing because I haven't tried it.