Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostedmunin.com (Free hosted munin, no more munin master on the LEB?)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostedmunin.com (Free hosted munin, no more munin master on the LEB?)

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited July 2012 in General

Hosted Munin monitoring

>

Welcome fellow sysadmin. This is the hosted munin (munin-monitoring.org) service.

>

You install munin-node, we do the rest.

>

We are currently in open beta. `

How much does it cost?

Not decided. Current plans involve recurring monthly payments with paypal, with a discount for buying a year at the time. >There will be a cheap personal/startup plan, a business plan (< ~30 servers) and some enterprise offering for needs above that.

In the beta period, everything is FREE! :-)`

I've signed up, after some trouble with Munin and IO problems. Works quite well for just the monitoring. Are there more people who have experience with this service? How is it?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Been wanting to see more LEB crew hopping on this to drive down server monitoring service costs.

• this sounds interesting :P

• DamianDamian Member

Indeed, I was thinking about offering the service to our users (since we have a standalone system that does munin, amongst other things), but wasn't sure how to effect user access control. Then again, I haven't progressed very far with the idea :)

• Sorry for the topic gravedigging, but just tried them out but they seem to have some capacity issues as the site is down like half of the time or slowly loading. Anybody knows the memory requirements for the munin-server part, so can I run it on my spare 128mb OVZ from BuyVM ?

• Munin is very IO heavy :)

• Been using it for like 6 months already, does what it says it does.

Wouldn't even mind paying once out of beta period :)

• We run the munin-server on an Atom with a single hard drive, monitoring 20 systems... no issues with it.

• I think you can make it so that the graphs are generated on-demand so that it doesn't suck up IO so hard. I just let my munin abuse my cheapo 128mb yearly though. Monitoring ~10 sites.

• @Wintereise said: Been using it for like 6 months already, does what it says it does.

Wouldn't even mind paying once out of beta period :)

Seems like I was too soon to judge, just received an very nice email from the Developer of it like only a few hours after this post:

Hi Daniel.

>

I saw your comment on lowendtalk tonight. I don't have an account
    there so I can't reply in the thread there.

>

There isn't a capacity problem as such, but at some earlier occations
    I've seen that the site loads slowly.
    Back then it was some sort of thread/connection pool issue between the
    user interface and the database.

>

I've been debugging it before, made some changes and haven't seen the problem
    for a while. Since you got bad service times today, this obviously
    wasn't fixed back then.
    It does not affect the data collection in any way, but of course this
    is less than optimal.

>

I'm sorry if this made a bad first impression for you. Let me assure
    you that I'll have another look at this as soon as possible.

>

--
    With regards,
    Lasse Karstensen

To be honest, I was quite happy with this news. He doesn't even need to look into it, but he does because he still stands behind his own service. I think I'll stick around with the service :)

• @djvdorp I've also hade good conversations with the (wo)?man, Lasse. Nice guy, knows what he is doing, should create an account on Lowendtalk :P.