Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlantic.net offering $0.99 SSD servers!! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Atlantic.net offering $0.99 SSD servers!!

Comments

• @Ree said:
    Looks like they dropped the call requirement?

They asked for id copy or recent card statement

• @netomx said:

Looks quite slow.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@velayer said:
    Looks quite slow.

for $0.99/m? nah

• ReeRee Member

@lelf said:
    They asked for id copy or recent card statement

Wonder if it's only for certain countries or something. There was no extra validation to get my server online.

• The support told me they're about to launch a London location :)

• I'm simply amazed how well the server behaves for 0.99$. If they open up a EU location, I might move some VPS towards them.

• @sandro said:
    The support told me they're about to launch a London location :)

if this is true I will instantly buy one :D just need a friend with a cc^^

• LeeLee Veteran

There is certainly a bit of a war going on for so called cloud services. But all good for the consumer.

• @Blanoz said:
    I'm simply amazed how well the server behaves for 0.99$. If they open up a EU location, I might move some VPS towards them.

+1 i will maybe also to this if they open europe location

• trexos said: if this is true I will instantly buy one :D just need a friend with a cc^^

Yup... no ETA though.

Thanked by 1trexos
  • cppgohancppgohan Member
    edited October 2014

price confused, if 256MB for 0.99/mo, 512MB should be 1.99/mo, not 4.97/mo

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

cppgohan said: price confused, if 256MB for 0.99/mo, 512MB should be 1.99/mo, not 4.97/mo

Sure thing, you are greath at maths. Now, can you understand what a promotional price is?

• I personally suggest Conatbo has any one any eaxperience?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Etutorialspk said:
    I personally suggest Conatbo has any one any eaxperience?

If you're suggesting them I assume you would.

• @sandro said:
    The support told me they're about to launch a London location :)

relevant to my interests.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • cppgohancppgohan Member
    edited October 2014

@Nyr said:
    Sure thing, you are greath at maths. Now, can you understand what a promotional price is?

I didn't see any words like "promotional" on their site (https://www.atlantic.net/), so I consider it as normal plan non-special offers, I just compare it with DO && linode && vultr.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@cppgohan said:
    I didn't see any words like "promotional" on their site (https://www.atlantic.net/), so I consider it as normal plan non-special offers, I just compare it with DO && linode && vultr.

Okay, then it's usual to sell you KVM with SSD and 1 TB of bandwidth in Canada or the UK for $0.99/month.

I can't argue with your logic anymore then, they probably created this crazy pricing scheme to make you confused.

Thanked by 3Nekki xDutchy user123
  • I signed up for the $0.99/vps this morning and I didn't have to go through any phone calls or anything like that, received an email in less then 5 minutes with my account details and my VPS was ready to go as soon as I logged in.

• @mp99e99:

Thanks!

• @Blanoz said:
    mp99e99:

Thanks!

My box got crushed too! I was sad :(

But honestly the "I love speed" is so ironically funny xD.

@mp99e99 Thanks!

• I wish they sold those shirts cause I find the I Love Speed quite funny as well. Love my 99cent VPS.

• I was going to post the uptime - which was around 50 days. Then saw it took a reboot 3 days ago.

• Up 77 days here, and still not bothered to do anything with it :)

• They still don't accept PayPal :'(

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • their 'fraud prevention' process is very annoying but well for 99 cents/month I guess it's worth the trouble

• I think you'll get what you are paying for. A host just cannot deliver servers at this price, and deliver a good service. Such provider only want to get more and more money while decreasing the quality. I would avoid this.

• lsb_release_alsb_release_a Member
    edited December 2014

anyway : can you run a OS for real with only 256 mb of RAM? What if you boot your pc with only 256mb of ram just for testing? I remember in 1992 i only needed 256 Mb and i was very happy. Today, you can't do anything on a server with less than 1Gb of ram :)

You may be able to boot, that's pretty much it :P

I mean : this just seems to be a catch... ...they know their customer will want to upgrade to 1-2 Gb of ram when going in production.

...and they are asking more than many other hosts : you'll end up by paying $19.94 for 2Gb of ram to run Wordpress / Drupal nicely. Atlantic.net may just turn to be more expensive after very little time than any other web hosts.

...now i finally understood how they do :P They accept to loose money on the 256Mb and 500 Mb vps, because they know you'll upgrade soon and pay more, anyway :)

• Also : what they are calling "Cloud" is in fact no more than a regular flat VPS.

You won't get a real Cloud a this price. :P

• @lsb_release_a

But for sure a Linux server works with only 256mb ram. I already had a VPS with only 128mb and it worked too and when hosting with nginx you would be even able to host some websites on it.
    That wouldn't work on your PC because of the desktop, the gui.

Today, you can't do anything on a server with less than 1Gb of ram :)

Ehh, what? Please define "something".. Most things work with less than 1GB on Linux.. And even if not: in emergency, there's also smth called a swap..