Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's Windows 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• LOL. What happened to 9?

• Sooooo.... Where did Windows 9 go to?

• @rds100 said:
    LOL. What happened to 9?

Obviously skipped, internally probably still NT 6.x (unless the decided to go NT 7, we'll see). The build number is 9841.

For desktops at least the start menu seems to be back, as already previously hinted.

• Looks like merger in user interface of windows 7 and windows 8

Thanked by 1Corey
  • jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

• @ftpit said:
    Looks like merger in user interface of windows 7 and windows 8

Too early to say anything yet, but they might be on the right path.

• alessio said: Too early to say anything yet, but they might be on the right path.

Yes win8 is bit confusing for new users

• A bit more insight

• @joodle said:
    Sooooo.... Where did Windows 9 go to?

7 ate 9 :)

• ditroneditrone Member
    edited September 2014

Maybe since Apple currently is on version 10.9 Mavericks and is going to update to version 10.10 Yosemite this fall they want to keep up number wise?

might be just a marketing/psychological thingy.

i mean look at nVidia VS AMD..

• @joodle said:
    Sooooo.... Where did Windows 9 go to?

Windows 9 was "to good". Phah! Windows and good? What year is this...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ftpit said: Yes win8 is bit confusing for new users

I guess though I think a 60-second demo makes it obvious.

For all the talk about Win8 having a split brain between metro/desktop, etc. it all works very nicely - I love it on my Surface 2 because I like having the ability to run both desktop apps when working in laptop-ish mode and full-screen/split-screen when working in tablet.

It's fine for a traditional laptop/desktop as well, though I find having the quick launch bar there convenient.

I think the "whoa, Win 8 is so radically mind-blowing" is overstated in the media.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

From some of the screenshots I saw today, it looks like Microsoft might be back on the right path to redeeming itself after the Windows 8 fiasco, regardless if its called 9, 10 or whatever. Then again, it's Microsoft and they could drop the ball again...

• I don't mind Windows 8.1 since the update it's been a bit more user desktop friendly..

With the addition of - http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

It's perfect.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @ATHK said:
    I don't mind Windows 8.1 since the update it's been a bit more user desktop friendly..

With the addition of - http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

It's perfect.

then I think you'll like Win10 more :)

• @wcypierre said:
    then I think you'll like Win10 more :)

Possibly.. it's not all that different from what I've got running..

I read lifehacker here in Aus and it outlines some things - http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/10/all-the-new-stuff-coming-to-windows-10/

The Start Menu Is Back

Got that..

Modern Apps Come to the Desktop, in Windowed Form

Windows 8.1 does that

Improved Multitasking and Multiple Desktops

Fences by StarDock does this (which I have)

An Updated Command Prompt

Totally awesome, you can now use ctrl+v to paste..

For me, the frontend .. won't really change too much if at all..

• Not bad, the min requirements haven't changed much...

If you want to test the Windows 10 Technical Preview on your PC, here’s what it takes:
     Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
     RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB)
     Free hard disk space: 16 GB
     Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
     A Microsoft account and Internet access
    The Windows 10 Technical Preview can be installed on PCs meeting system requirements running Windows 7 or newer

• I personally hate the start menu in Windows 95 - 7. Never needed it, never used it - just took up room and looked horrible. The charms menu was great - a nice looking UI for search. Key combinations are the way to go.

upfreak said: The Windows 10 Technical Preview can be installed on PCs meeting system requirements running Windows 7 or newer

They took out the CPU extension requirements? That's odd. Windows 8 required the PAE, NX, and SSE2 extensions, and would hard block the install if they didn't exist. Windows 7 didn't have these requirements.

• I heard M$ wants people to pay for Windows yearly subscription. Just like their shitty Office 365.

• Looks shit. Guess I'll be using Windows 7 for many more years.

Thanked by 1ad0
  • @Chuck said:
    I heard M$ wants people to pay for Windows yearly subscription. Just like their shitty Office 365.

I am not quite sure why it was necessary to introduce foul language and substitution characters, which werent even "cool" or appropriate at their time 20 years ago, to this thread but yes, the entire industry attempts to move to a subscription model (which obviously hasnt reached the customer market yet, or only partially -> Netflix, Google Play) but "having heard" is never a good foundation to build upon one's opinions. There have been some rumours something subscription-like could be introduced, just as there have been rumours about a free entry-level edition.

@hostnoob said:
    Looks shit. Guess I'll be using Windows 7 for many more years.

Apart from the same remark about foul language as above, I guess that the UI will be a very subjective matter. Some will like it, others like you less. I, for one, do like the new UI and am looking forward to Windows 10 .... and if it is only for the non-UI improvements they already introduced with Windows 8.

But then, this is an early preview. Certain elements about the UI will most likely be changed and refined.

• TLDR: Microsoft can't count!

• I think it looks much better. And they are releasing stuff pretty fast.

• @virtualizor said:
    I think it looks much better. And they are releasing stuff pretty fast.

I don't think so..

Windows 8

The operating system was released to manufacturing on August 1, 2012, and was released for general availability on October 26, 2012.

Most of what you see would be Windows 9 anyway which they've been working on for years so I really don't see any fast progress going on..

Thanked by 1Noerman
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited October 2014

So, to sum up things, MS skipped Windows 9 and introduced Windows 10 as a new innovating big thing, that just disabling Windows 8 changes and getting back this OS to Windows 7 version? What really new does this version have, that deserves a whole presentation?

P.S. To me, desktop changes cannot be featured as new version of an OS, while Linux versions can wear any desktop flavor / settings you want to make them look as you want...

P.S.2: As of kernel changes, Linux shows to MS the way...

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2014

Every second windows version (combine updates & versions released in the same year) usually sucks.

• Windows 98 SE = Good
    • Windows 2000 & ME = Crap
    • Windows XP & SP2 = Good
    • Windows Vista = Craptastic
    • Windows 7 = Good
    • Windows 8 & 8.1 = Arguably Crap
    • Windows 9 = Would have been good?
    • Windows 10 = Crap?
  • @jvnadr said:
    So, to sum up things, MS skipped Windows 9 and introduced Windows 10 as a new innovating big thing, that just disabling Windows 8 changes and getting back this OS to Windows 7 version? What really new does this version have, that deserves a whole presentation?

P.S. To me, desktop changes cannot be featured as new version of an OS, while Linux versions can wear any desktop flavor / settings you want to make them look as you want...

P.S.2: As of kernel changes, Linux shows to MS the way...

I always liked these back to the past big innovations like this:

• alessioalessio Member
    edited October 2014

jvnadr said: So, to sum up things, MS skipped Windows 9 and introduced Windows 10 as a new innovating big thing, that just disabling Windows 8 changes and getting back this OS to Windows 7 version? What really new does this version have, that deserves a whole presentation?

I am sorry, but you obviously did not have a look at the actual presentation, respectively summaries, at all. Otherwise you would have noticed that they are not simply reverting to the desktop, but merged desktop and touch. And from the looks (of course still too early for a definitive statement) this time successfully.

jvnadr said: P.S.2: As of kernel changes, Linux shows to MS the way...

This is supposed to mean? Microsoft made leaps from XP to Vista, 7 was another nice step forward and 8 added further improvements. Its not only all about the UI as certain people want to make it look like.

SplitIce said: Every second windows version (combine updates & versions released in the same year) usually sucks.

Ohh please, not the same old myth. Not only does this list wildly mix release dates and architectures (DOS and NT) but now even includes speculated versions.

This list has never been true and wont ever be.