Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick way of selecting closest Ubuntu repos mirror
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quick way of selecting closest Ubuntu repos mirror

SurgeSurge Member
edited July 2012 in General

Maybe it's common knowledge, but this was news to me.

Just putting the following on top of your /etc/apt/sources.list will pick the closest mirror

deb mirror://mirrors.ubuntu.com/mirrors.txt precise main restricted universe multiverse

deb mirror://mirrors.ubuntu.com/mirrors.txt precise-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb mirror://mirrors.ubuntu.com/mirrors.txt precise-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb mirror://mirrors.ubuntu.com/mirrors.txt precise-security main restricted universe multiverse

It works by using http://mirrors.ubuntu.com/mirrors.txt which is generated to have the closest mirrors to your IP. (Don't forget to edit precise if necessary).

Thanked by 1FieldMoose

Comments

• ShamliShamli Member

great.....thanks...

and "ununtu"...??

• SurgeSurge Member

@Shamli said: and "ununtu"...??

Oops. Fixed.

• yomeroyomero Member

n00buntu!

Interesting, how they have implemented PPA, and I didn't know about this.
    I am used to the netselect-apt stuff for the best mirror, which, IIRC is deprecated or something...

• It doesn't pick the closest one, it just gives you a list of mirrors in your own country and one will be used randomly.