Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

File storage service that supports webdav etc. ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

File storage service that supports webdav etc. ?

Hi!

I will recieve around 2 to 3 TB of files soon and would like to have a server/service in where I can store them like it is my own windows harddrive, I think that this is called webdav? - it must be accessable as an harddisk in my pc (that i can select it as storage device in an application.)

My budget is 50 euros/m and traffic prefferly unmetered - as location the EU is preffered.

It would be really great if one of you knows a service/provider that provides this.

Thank you!

Comments

• What about CIFS? Obviously like with Webdav, you will want to do it over an encrypted tunnel. Any server with Samba will work.

Or something like SSH-FS?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @MarkTurner said:
    What about CIFS? Obviously like with Webdav, you will want to do it over an encrypted tunnel. Any server with Samba will work.

Or something like SSH-FS?

Encryption sounds good. will cifs and samba be mountable like webdav in windows?

Thanks.

• Yes CIFS is what windows uses for native file sharing

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • And you can put some distributed file system under that. Like glusterfs. Get some kimsufi 1tb.

• If you use something like expandrive your choice of solutions is opened up a bit. I'm successfully using it with Hubic from my PC. Opendrive also do an unlimited storage plan available by webdav for something like $10 a month but I found it really slow when I tried a while ago.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @abat said:
    If you use something like expandrive your choice of solutions is opened up a bit. I'm successfully using it with Hubic from my PC. Opendrive also do an unlimited storage plan available by webdav for something like $10 a month but I found it really slow when I tried a while ago.

expandrive works great!!

• Sadly, Expandrive isn't OSS.

@abat said:
    If you use something like expandrive your choice of solutions is opened up a bit. I'm successfully using it with Hubic from my PC. Opendrive also do an unlimited storage plan available by webdav for something like $10 a month but I found it really slow when I tried a while ago.

• abatabat Member
    edited September 2014

@tehdartherer said:
    Sadly, Expandrive isn't OSS.

No it's not but it does work pretty well on Windows at least.

• I bought a dedicated server with 2TB hdd from worldstream.nl to use with Expandrive, ontop of that ill install http://aria2.sourceforge.net on the server to execute direct downloads from an webgui. That should make it a decent fileserver.