Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What distro for a VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What distro for a VPS?

When you need a VPS, what distro will you usually pick? (Or you'd like to pick but it's not offered by providers)

I need to collect some data so I know which distros I should offer in VirtKick cloud panel by default.

Thanks.

What distro do you usually choose for a VPS?
  1. Ubuntu154 votes
    1. Debian
      64.29%
    2. CentOS
      27.27%
    3. Fedora
        0.65%
    4. openSUSE
        0.00%
    5. CoreOS
        1.95%
    6. Arch Linux
        3.90%
    7. FreeBSD
        0.65%
    8. Slackware
        0.00%
    9. Gentoo
        1.30%
    10. SmartOS
        0.00%

Comments

• I want Ubuntu but I can't select it, so I'll choose Debian.

• Ha ha, seems broken. Okay, can be Debian. There's no doubt that these two are a must, so whatever.

Thanked by 1julfo
  • Windows.
    OS X.

• Ubuntu LTS

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Chuck said: OS X.

Licensing :O

• SymlinkSymlink Member
    edited September 2014

Wow it looks absolutely gorgeous. Kudos to your UI guy Jodel.

As for the poll I'm assuming this is just to drum up publicity for the panel because you could have just visited a few hosts and see what templates they offer.

• JohnJJohnJ Member
    edited September 2014

Why no ubuntu :(

• k0nslk0nsl Member
    edited September 2014

I voted 'FreeBSD', but I often pick just Debian for my VPSes. Maybe you could include kFreeBSD? ;-)

[edit]

And yeah, your design rocks!

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Option "Upload your own ISO and wget your own ISO".

• Debian.

• @Symlink Wow it looks absolutely gorgeous. Kudos to your UI guy Jodel.

Thanks, will pass it on to him!

@Symlink I'm assuming this is just to drum up publicity for the panel

Nope, most lowendtalkers already know about VirtKick. :)

@FtpIt_Radi Option "Upload your own ISO and wget your own ISO".

That's planned. But providing some default distros out-of-the-box is a different thing.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2014

Centos-5-x86, Centos-5-x86_64, Centos-6-x86, Centos-6-x86_64, Centos-6-x86_64-minimal, Centos-7-x86_64-minimal, Debian-6.0-x86, Debian-6.0-x86_64, Debian-6.0-x86_64-minimal, Debian-7.0-x86, Debian-7.0-x86_64, Debian-7.0-x86_64-minimal, Fedora-19-x86, Fedora-19-x86_64, Fedora-20-x86, Fedora-20-x86_64, Scientific-6-x86, Scientific-6-x86_64, Suse-12.2-x86, Suse-12.2-x86_64, Suse-12.3-x86, Suse-12.3-x86_64, Suse-13.1-x86_64-minimal, Ubuntu-12.04-x86_64-minimal, Ubuntu-13.04-x86, Ubuntu-13.04-x86_64, Ubuntu-13.10-x86, Ubuntu-13.10-x86_64, Ubuntu-14.04-x86_64-minimal,

To this list I add:

FreeBSD

All TurnKeyLinux flavors you can find

Gentoo

Slackware

• Centos or debian minimal

• CentOS minimal.

• @Nowaker You pretty much covered everything here. Some of us may be interested in Turnkey Linux images since Jumpbox is not free.

• i always seem to go centos.. I guess because I've never had any issues with it.. untill then, ill probably keep on using it, I'm also not that experienced, and find it very easy to use.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Normally I would install Debian as my default option for any VPS regardless of resources, but now with OpenVZ's minimal templates spanning pretty much every OS option I try to stick with CentOS whenever possible.

• +1 debian.

• CentOS

• I started with Ubuntu, was pointed towards Debian.. and have never left. I deal with some cPanel servers so I'm somewhat familiar with CentOS, but I know Debian fairly well and it works great for me.

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

debian

• +1 debian

• Debian > Ubuntu > CentOS for me.

I usually choose Debian because it's what I'm most familiar with, Ubuntu next since it's similar to Debian. CentOS would be a last resort: I've never had a positive experience with it and managed to kill a few installs with rpm (somehow.)

• IceCreamIceCream Member
    edited September 2014

Gentoo, Arch, FreeBSD, openSUSE and Slackware.

• CentOS and Debian

• Debian for me.

Also, I love your website. Minimalistic, simple, straight to the point. Hope you get a bunch of sponsors.

• I'm sure CentOS, Debian, and Ubuntu are must haves.

• CentOS or Debian. Occasionally Fedora for fun.

• Debian > Ubuntu > CentOS for me.

+1

• If its OpenVZ, I'll usually install CentOS 6.5 (regardless the amount of RAM). If its KVM or XenHVM, I'll install FreeBSD if there's no more than 512MB RAM or CentOS 6.5 if there's more.