Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any recommendations for a programmable DNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any recommendations for a programmable DNS?

Does anyone have experience with either a free programmable DNS service or an easy to use programmable DNS software? Some searching online brought me to Atomia DNS, but I don't know much about it.

I have a good number of domain names that I'd rather not manually enter and manager into my DNS service if I can help it.

Comments

• Atomia is good, we use it for 2-3 brands. It needs some hardcore tweaking but it is robust.

I think NSOne is another and there was French product that I saw a few months back.

Thanked by 1sumo
  • Thank you. I'll check out NSOne for my immediate needs and look to Atomia for future needs.

• +1 for NSOne, they're fantastic :) Plus, their support is top notch!

Thanked by 1sumo
  • Use powerdns. Since it is using Mysql backend easy to manage zones through sql queries and replicate to multiple slaves.

Other option is Rage4 they are very good and reliable with API for most functionality

Thanked by 1sumo
  • @praveen said:
    Use powerdns. Since it is using Mysql backend easy to manage zones through sql queries and replicate to multiple slaves.

Other option is Rage4 they are very good and reliable with API for most functionality

I'd agree with @praveen

Either use Atomica and it's SOAP-API. Or simply use pDNS which is entirely in MySQL and create bindings to it through any programming language that has a mysql library available.

Thanked by 1sumo
  • I've started using Google Cloud DNS for DNS purposes. It's not free, but it's ridiculously cheap in comparison to other DNS services, and it's easy to manage via its API.

• @zeitgeist The pricing looks good. Does google support GeoDNS functions? I'm currently using Route53 but wouldn't mind an alternative.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@mikeyur - if you need GeoDNS try Rage4

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited September 2014

@gbshouse not off to a good start.. http://i.sprk.co/140928-0251-6pxqv.png

So you charge 1 eur per zone but the first 250k requests are free. Do I pay that 1 eur and get 250k included, and then after that it's 1 eur per million - are those prorated or is there a 1 eur monthly minimum there?

I'll be honest, amazon is looking more affordable at the moment. It's $0.50/zone and then like $0.70 per million geo requests, and they're prorated. So on some domains I pay $0.50 + a few cents, and some others I pay $0.50 + a couple bucks.

• @mikeyur said:
    gbshouse not off to a good start.. http://i.sprk.co/140928-0251-6pxqv.png

Simple issue there, his certificate only has a CN for secure.

@gbshouse said:
    mikeyur - if you need GeoDNS try Rage4

Consider installing SSL properly for .domain and www.domain , or *.domain (more expensive.)

edited September 2014

It looks like one of the rewrite rules failed after we added new load balancer. Use without www. .

@mikeyur, @GoodHosting - fixed now

• Any pros or cons with respect to NSD DNS - anybody?

@mikeyur - you pay only when you exceed the free usage tier

• @gbshouse I was clicking the link in your sig which is www.

Re: 1 eur per zone.. If it's free and I only pay when I go over the free tier, how many zones am I allowed within the 'free tier'? If I go over the 250k requests do I then pay 1 eur for that zone + 1 eur per million requests.

Also: if I use say.. 450k requests, am I paying 1 eur or 0.20 eur in overages over the free tier?

mikeyur said: if I use say.. 450k requests, am I paying 1 eur or 0.20 eur in overages over the free tier?

2€ (1€ for 1 million requests + 1€ zone)

• Just keep this thread in mind: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/32675/question-collection-agencies-worldwide/p1

Not everybody shares the same moral principals, but to some, intentionally offering a paid service without requiring payment information upfront, just so you can trick people into racking up a bill and then giving their details to a collection agency, is not the kind of company I would like to deal with.

• @gbshouse said: 2€ (1€ for 1 million requests + 1€ zone)

Hrmm. Interesting, but I can see that adding up really easily.. Route53 is nearly half priced. I'd rather pay for usage from the start at a lower price than get a $2.50+ surprise per domain.

@mikeyur - it depends from the set of features - if you are using non-AWS locations Route53's GeoDNS will not work as it should

• @skybucks100 @praveen @Kihi

Thank you for the recommendations.