Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Hosts! Why can't you be a bit more honest & knowledgeable?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Hosts! Why can't you be a bit more honest & knowledgeable?

Well 99.99% of hosts in this industry do lie a little bit like "We don't oversell", "We have 24/7 support with 2 minute response time" etc & they also advertise things which don't make sense for marketing purposes but recently I am seeing this trend in new hosts that they they lie blatantly & so much which can't even be covered by further lies. For example:

1. A new host who have their VPS nodes with OVH tells me they use "Hardware Raid 10" & have Xeon 16xx CPU with 64 GB RAM on node. Now anyone has been through OVH website even once knows there is no OVH entry level server with 64 or 128 GB RAM where you can setup RAID 10 as OVH offers maximum 3 drives. You can have 4 or more drives on HG or BIG HG server but they cost 4 to 5 times as compares to entry servers. Only entry level server which allowed you to have 4 drivers in Software RAID was Big Data 8T which is not available anymore since months. Anyway I was pretty sure they use RAID 0 from the high amount of disk space they were offering with their KVM servers.

2. Then there are those who are openly saying in their offer threads that they use Software RAID 1 & only want to put "60 VPS max" on the node. That means you didn't calculate that you would run out of I/O or CPU much before that.

3 .Some are even advertising "DDoS Protection" in their offers but when asked via PM or a sales ticket their DDoS protection is "Instant & Automatic Nullroute"

I think 3 examples are enough for now. Purpose was only to tell the new hosts to be a bit more knowledgeable before entering the industry & lie less so that you can build your trust among your customers & other people.

Comments

• I can find you lots of old and very big hosts that do the same as well. It's like this in virtual world. If you don't buy something physical on the internet, you are most likely getting lied to.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • I can name a lot of "enterprise" and "top" providers here that do exactly the same.

Most of the things you listed aren't even problems, nullrouting does protect the other clients from your service getting attacked. It may not be DDoS Protection for your service, but it's still technically DDoS protection.

What the important point to note here is:

It's all just marketing fluff.

• @GoodHosting said:

Most of the things you listed aren't even problems, nullrouting does protect the other clients from your service getting attacked. It may not be DDoS Protection for your service, but it's still technically DDoS protection.

Yes it is DDoS protection for their server, infrastructure & other clients but according to a layman's understanding advertising DDoS protection means you are providing it for the service purchased by that particular client. So it is blatant lie unless they mention instant nullrouting.

• It's all just marketing fluff.

Bad & stupid way to market your products if you are advertising nullrouting as DDoS protection.

• That awkward moment when you see "24/7 Support" but the host's business days are Mon-Fri. I've seen those..

Thanked by 2Shoaib_A HyperSpeed
  • @GreenHostBox said:
    That awkward moment when you see "24/7 Support" but the host's business days are Mon-Fri. I've seen those..

I find it ironic that the "issues" mentioned here are in your signature.

• @pcfreak30 said:
    I find it ironic that the "issues" mentioned here are in your signature.

What issues?

• @GreenHostBox said:
    What issues?

At a glance, "Auto Null Route DDoS Protection". I have not looked at anything else yet.

• GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited September 2014

@pcfreak30 said:
    At a glance, "Auto Null Route DDoS Protection". I have not looked at anything else yet.

So what is the issue with that?

• @GreenHostBox said:
    So what is the issue with that?

There is no issue. I just find it funny that your sig matches to an extent what the OP is referring to.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@GreenHostBox said:
    That awkward moment when you see "24/7 Support" but the host's business days are Mon-Fri. I've seen those..

I know of more then a handful companys that claims that since their support desk is available 24/7 to submit a ticket. The work days are Mon-Fri and will be handled there unless a weekend support contract is signed, which most often are expensive as hell.

• dammuglydammugly Member
    edited October 2014

or how about sub hour response time blatantly posted on the site
    yet 14+ hours and no response to a ticket as to wtf is going on with ip not able to deliver mail to hotmail meanwhile when i check the vps ip it comes back clean from spamlists :(

• @MikHo said:

That's why they outsource support on the weekend.

• @dammugly said:
    yet 14+ hours and no response to a ticket as to wtf is going on with ip not able to deliver mail to hotmail meanwhile when i check the vps ip it comes back clean from spamlists :(

You setup spf/dkim?

• @dammugly said:

Microsoft have their own blacklists. You may use this form to get it removed.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited October 2014

I will just mention this:

I have stopped supporting most providers on this site that do not offer KVM or Xen virtualization as 90% of the OpenVZ providers are either dishonest in what they are selling (by overselling, not being honest about node specs or try to pass OVH with geo-located ips off as having multiple locations) or do not even seem to be knowledgeable in what they are selling. The best example of this recently was the post I saw where they said they had 15 locations and were instead using OVH geo-located ips.

This kind of junk service has seemed to become the standard here, to the point where I think it takes away from the quality providers that are available and advertised here. As well it seems that a bunch of these crap companies come here and advertise, then when they are called out on their bull they turn to DDOSing either other reputable providers or LET because they didn't get their way and/or were pissed about some honest review of their services.

Some examples of higher quality services might be RamNode, Prometeus, Luna Node and a few others which you can obviously tell are stand up businesses. Then you have your 'companies' which come here and have used a fly-by-night incorporation company in the US to register a company name, use private whois and sell cheap OVH/CC servers as their platform with crap or non-existent support and oversell their servers to death just to make pennies.

Overall this doesn't surprise me though, I guess, as 90% of ColoCrossing's business on this site is to promote these type of providers, especially a large portion of the hosts that advertise on this forum that are using their network. GVH, CVPS, UGvps, 123systems and WLS, to name a few, are a good example of such providers they are supporting. Cheap, oversold, ill supported OpenVZ containers on a widely abused network with a revolving amount of listings on SpamHaus; sounds about right.

I am not sure if others have taken notice, but the days of good, reputable start-ups in this industry has seemed to have become virtually non-existent. Now a days, it seems the only ones trying to start business in this sector are high school students or teenagers who are just getting into VPS/Virtual Services industry and use their 'allowance' to buy a cheap OVH/Hetzner/CC server, WHMCS and SolusVM and call them selves a business.

Hate to say it, but Mao was right, this year has been a lot different than the last few for this industry and niche. The technology may just be too main steam now or maybe people have found it just isn't profitable, either way the time of the great, reliable and serious new LE* providers seems to have all but passed.

Cheers!

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2014

@TheLinuxBug

I agree with what you are saying, however the consumer has created the demand for Student, teen, money for a months service after which it will disappear type services.

Names that you mention such as RamNode or Prometeus have back stories, they did not just come along with no prior experience or knowledge so it is no surprise they have done well.

But equally though, those that have done well have tended to move away or are moving away from the Lowend market. You must, there is only so long and so much profit to be had from $7. And there is only so long you can associate yourself with it as your main market before it becomes a burden.

That leaves you with new starts and those that are not supporting themselves solely from being a VPS provider. Both are likely, more more likely to fail than not at the moment.

The drivers behind LET/LEB are those that are willing to base their buying on price than experience, service or quality. Hence you have the likes of G*H doing well but ultimately surviving only to manage abuse and pay the bills, hardly making enough or any money to make it worthwhile. But people buy because of the resource vs price point.

So prometeus, Wable, RamNode, BuyVM and others can afford to pick the right hardware in the right locations with DDoS protection, IPV6, great support and whatever else because their offering to cheaper markets like this are not make or break for them. It's a source of cheap marketing to maintain interest and gain momentum.

For others your entry to market at a high price point is going to be a major uphill struggle to get people on board, so aiming at the LET/LEB market is a good start, for some. Maybe you will get a good name quickly and rise up, maybe you wont.

The downside is that in order for you as a new start in the market you choices are limited, Colocrossing in the US, Rapidswitch in the UK, OVH, Hetzner and so on. Using any could make or break you depending on the consumer crud you aim for, but equally either of those service could do just fine.

The person that thinks they can come to any market with a cheap product and simply expect it to work or expect the consumer not to expect much for the price, will fail in time.