Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Storage VPS for BitTorrent Sync
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High Storage VPS for BitTorrent Sync

Hi all,

I'm thinking of setting up two geographically and provider diverse VPSs with high storage to install BitTorrent Sync on for data backup.

I'm looking for something with at least 100GB storage, substantial traffic, low RAM (256-512MB would be sufficient)... but the aim is to keep it under $20/y for each box.

Is this too ambitious? Any suggestions as to what providers would meet this requirement?

Cheerio.

Comments

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited September 2014

How much is "substantial traffic"? You can take a look at our promo here in Amsterdam, New York & Los Angeles:
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/34687/iniz-100gb-20-yr-amsterdam-new-york-los-angeles-offers-ipv4-ipv6

• tsangktsangk Member
    edited September 2014

Thanks Patrick.

Hmm... substantial is probably a relative word there. But I'd say ~1TB would be enough for now... just enough to sync up and down (and across servers).

Those plans do look good :) but I have spotted one from Crissic for $15/y 100GB, 2TB traffic and 512MB RAM... so I'm grabbing one of those. Will consider that offer though :)

edit: link to Crissic offer (via LowEndStock) - https://my.crissic.net/aff.php?aff=058&pid=45

Thanked by 1ndlong75
  • wychwych Member
    edited September 2014

i-83 Custom Plan or Double Up?

• wych said: i-83 Custom Plan or Double Up?

i-83 might be a bit out of my reach. I like the geographical separation from US but it doesn't look like pricing for 100GB would work for my budget.

• I have the one from crissic without any complaint

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

$20 per year for that much traffic, disk space and system load generated by the constant BitTorrent process... I'd definitely recommend that you confirm with the web host and their terms of service before signing up.

• tsangktsangk Member
    edited September 2014

Thanks for the suggestion - I will check with the provider.

edit: Crissic's AUP states that BitTorrent Sync is allowed - looks like I'm in the clear :)

1TB traffic is on the safe side for the first sync and mirror to the other servers. After that, the traffic would be in the low gigs, not terabytes. I simply don't have enough bandwidth at home to sync that much data anyway.

The use of the disk space is a given. But the bysync-daemon has been counting a 0.3 load at sync and 0.1 load at idle, OS + daemon uses around 100MB of memory. It's not as resource intensive as I had imagined:

top - 02:44:21 up 17:07,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00
    Tasks:  15 total,   1 running,  14 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    %Cpu(s):  0.0 us,  0.1 sy,  0.0 ni, 99.9 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
    KiB Mem:    524288 total,   122344 used,   401944 free,        0 buffers
    KiB Swap:   524288 total,        0 used,   524288 free.    93652 cached Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND                                                                                                     
     4997 btsync    20   0  569800  17748   3620 S   0.3  3.4   4:57.20 btsync-daemon   

• @tsangk are you using Crissic as an encrypted peer? Because I would like to know if the load goes considerably up when syncing to an encrypted btsync daemon. From my understanding it shouldnt, because encryption happens on client side.

• chrisp said: are you using Crissic as an encrypted peer?

@chrisp: No, I think I'm just running it as a regular peer. The data gets decrypted back on the Crissic server. Allows me to provide external links to the files if needed. :)

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited September 2014

348MB RAM

100GB Disk

10TB BW

NAT Only (extra $3 for static)

KVM

$12 a year

• @TarZZ92 said:
    348MB RAM

100GB Disk

10TB BW

NAT Only (extra $3 for static)

KVM

$12 a year

Thanks @TarZZ92 - I'm interested... Any details on server location? :)

• tsangk said: Thanks @TarZZ92 - I'm interested... Any details on server location? :)

For these type of prices. as cheap as possible so OVH.

• Hi

@TarZZ92 said:

OVH France or Canada?

Anyway, any order link?

Cheers

• OVH EU

PM for Link

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@TarZZ92 said:
    348MB RAM

100GB Disk

10TB BW