Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to block access for domain that doesn't exist in server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to block access for domain that doesn't exist in server

I have vps and there are many requests for one domain that do not exist (Domain's nameserver point to my vps ip)

It's likely this ip used to host for that domain and previous owner do not change nameserver

How to block this type of access because there is such amount that wasting server resource and behavior is likely apache ddos to my vps

I need to block them on network level because block in webserver level still waste resource and apache slot is filled up fast and reach maxclients.

Thank you

Comments

• fail2ban with massive 404 error?

• kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited September 2014

Why not use this situation to redirect traffic to your own / any other website...

Free Traffic

• @ez2uk said:
    Why not use this situation to redirect traffic to your own / any other website...

Free Traffic

Because the problem is this type of access fill up all apache process and legit access cannot fork new one and out of memory

@bookstack said:
    fail2ban with massive 404 error?

Let me check that, thank :)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2014

I don't understand how this could be causing problems except if traffic is really massive, but anyway:

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -m string --string "Host: example.com" --algo bm -j DROP

• Contact the hostmaster to fix the broken DNS.

• I had the same problem with one of my vps.

One domain used for marketing fake ugg boots was pointed to my ip.
    I decided to forward all traffic for this domain to http://counterfeit.uggaustralia.eu/

This caused the owner of the domain to fix the dns records in couple of days :)

Thanked by 1TekStorm_James