Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net now charges €20 Setup Fee - Dedibox lowered price: €5.99
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net now charges €20 Setup Fee - Dedibox lowered price: €5.99

Seems like Online.net has a €20 Setup Fee on all of their Dedicated servers now. However, they have lowered the price of the Dedibox SC to €5.99 (Was €9.99).

The setup fee is higher than a Kimsufi now, would you still buy from Online.net?

Thanked by 1Janevski

Comments

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited September 2014

They have also lowered this price as I currently have one at the higher price (19.99)

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc

Edit:

@OnlineJulien - Will this new price be applied to current servers, like the XC/SC?

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited September 2014

The setup fee looks to be higher/no setup fee at all on some dedicated servers.

• If they would have lowered the classic 2014 v2 by €5 also then I'd've taken one

• I guess they finally got fed up with people sign up and cancel and sign up and cancel and sign up and cancel....

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2014

Wut, 40EUR Setup Fee + VAT? Jesus.

But you can still order the old E3 gen2 without Setupfee, 23 left.

• The price cannot be used on current servers.

I'm sorry but no, this is another offer, if you want this one, you will need to take this offer to get this price

• wychwych Member
    edited September 2014

Honestly, not liking some of the latest changes coming from online.net, guess I may have to look at other options for my new platforms now.

Also what bright spark changed OutOfStock to VictimOfOwnSuccess, half the lineup now shows it.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

Adding a setup fee while lowering the recurring prices is an OK decision, though I feel 20 EUR is too much. Should have been 10 EUR like OVH. Or if they decided on 20 EUR, then why not at least go 4.99/14.99 recurring.

And of course the 40 EUR setup fee is insane, you could argue OVH charges 50 EUR on SoYouStart, but the 30 EUR SYS server provides so much more value for the price than Online.net's one.

...and gosh it must suck for all the existing customers happily paying 9.99 and 19.99 EUR. You can get a monthly discount which will justify itself in 5 months, but you need to cancel your current server, pay the setup fee ordering a new one, migrate your data, likely have some downtime in the process, get all new IPs -- doesn't this all sound just so lovely.

Thanked by 2tarasis edan
  • Interesting change... START range memory increased and price too... hmm.

Non-Recommend now. Or new servers and thats why they need setup fee. Who know....

But still best support + hardware. Remember.. you not get desktop server. Its real Dell and HP servers So... Who know :)

I got 2 eur offer dedicated and its great.

• Its mildly annoying they've done this about 2 weeks after I signed up for an XC. As I was planning to stick with them I'm going to need to order another XC + pay setup fee, transfer my data across from the old one and then cancel the old one. Otherwise after 5 months I'm just throwing money away ... hmm or I wait 5 months and see what their current offers are then, and then switch machines.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Seems nice

• @rm_ said:
    Adding a setup fee while lowering the recurring prices is an OK decision, though I feel 20 EUR is too much. Should have been 10 EUR like OVH. Or if they decided on 20 EUR, then why not at least go 4.99/14.99 recurring.

And of course the 40 EUR setup fee is insane, you could argue OVH charges 50 EUR on SoYouStart, but the 30 EUR SYS server provides so much more value for the price than Online.net's one.

...and gosh it must suck for all the existing customers happily paying 9.99 and 19.99 EUR. You can get a monthly discount which will justify itself in 5 months, but you need to cancel your current server, pay the setup fee ordering a new one, migrate your data, likely have some downtime in the process, get all new IPs -- doesn't this all sound just so lovely.

Who provide better quality & support? Onlne.net or soyoustart? So i mean which company do you start a bussiness :)?

• @tarasis said:
    Its mildly annoying they've done this about 2 weeks after I signed up for an XC. As I was planning to stick with them I'm going to need to order another XC + pay setup fee, transfer my data across from the old one and then cancel the old one. Otherwise after 5 months I'm just throwing money away ... hmm or I wait 5 months and see what their current offers are then, and then switch machines.

I'm thinking the same as I have an XC from before the price change, I've asked if there's any way to move to the new pricing even by paying the set up, but no reply yet.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

ZweiTiger said: Who provide better quality & support? Onlne.net or soyoustart? So i mean which company do you start a bussiness :)?

Not sure about that:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/34653/clueless-online-net-support

• To be fair to them, other than that one problem, I've never had any problems with their support, they are normally very quick to answer and friendly.

• Month fee little higher than kimsufi, setup fee much higher than kimsufi, performance is lower than kimsufi. What advantage Dedibox SC has when compare to KS-1?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

iKeyZ said: To be fair to them, other than that one problem, I've never had any problems with their support, they are normally very quick to answer and friendly.

That was my only experience with their support. Escalation doesn't work either, so if you get a clueless tech, you are fucked.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • @iKeyZ said:
    I'm thinking the same as I have an XC from before the price change, I've asked if there's any way to move to the new pricing even by paying the set up, but no reply yet.

If they let you know, please post here. Many thanks.

• If you don't need the support then OneProvider is a great choice, and they have paypal also.

• @linuxthefish said:
    If you don't need the support then OneProvider is a great choice, and they have paypal also.

Huh? Don't they just resell at a higher cost?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

cppgohan said: What advantage Dedibox SC has when compare to KS-1?

A /48 IPv6 subnet, SSD-hybrid HDD instead of a plain one, and guaranteed 150 Mbit b/w vs non-guaranteed 100 Mbit at OVH. But yeah the CPU will be massively slower compared to the Atom N2800.

• @tarasis said:
    Its mildly annoying they've done this about 2 weeks after I signed up for an XC. As I was planning to stick with them I'm going to need to order another XC + pay setup fee, transfer my data across from the old one and then cancel the old one. Otherwise after 5 months I'm just throwing money away ... hmm or I wait 5 months and see what their current offers are then, and then switch machines.

And the new plans shows up after the 20th, so even if you decide to switch, you have to stay at least another month at the higher monthly pricing.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @tarasis said:

Nope

I'm sorry again, but it's not possible You can't get your server with the new price even if you pay with the set-up' fee the only way is to get the new server and put your data on it

Thanked by 1tarasis
  • Looks like they finally realized the churn rate was way too high and unsustainable.

• Cheers @iKeyZ thats unfortunate. That leaves a slightly sour taste, in what otherwise has been a very positive experience with Online.net (admittedly only 16 days thus far). Hopefully @OnlineJulien will pass on our disappointment to his bosses (assuming he isn't one), though I imagine they won't really care.

• berkayberkay Member
    edited September 2014

I'd be okay with a setup fee, however €20 is too much, at least for me.

• @tarasis said:
    Cheers iKeyZ thats unfortunate. That leaves a slightly sour taste, in what otherwise has been a very positive experience with Online.net (admittedly only 16 days thus far). Hopefully OnlineJulien will pass on our disappointment to his bosses (assuming he isn't one), though I imagine they won't really care.

Exactly what I was thinking. I closed the ticket with my comments on the matter and I will see if they respond.

I do not really want to start all over as I have a lot set up on this server.

• They really need to re-visit their business esp for the low end boxes. I am not sure how much setting up is needed for a Via Nano €6 system for €20. So for someone who might not have used it before, the cost to find out is €26 for the 1st month. The setup fee for the avoton is more digestable, but the kimsufi offers seem more attractive at lower setup fee.

For the €30 + systems, when you compare to SYS - SYS has an option of just paying €10 fee per month for 6 months instead of full setup fee in 1st month . So with SYS effectively, you reduce the risk of a new customer, who wants to try out the system for 1 month just to find out if it works for them or not. For my first SYS system, I chose the €10 setup fee option. For my second SYS system, I paid the fee upfront, as it was a duplicate system.

As far as support is concerned, clearly online.net is better than yelling out publicly in a public forum (kimsufi) . My experience is that I generally dont need support beyond the first setup and in the months that I need support, I wish providers added a €5 per incident fee for fast support rather than no option for support at all or higher monthly dedi prices even though no support is needed.

Hopefully someone from online.net is reading these comments.