Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you be interested?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you be interested?

Would you all be interested in a Windows VPS for $2 or $3 a month?

Key Points

ProxMox is being used, keeps the costs down low.

• Custom Windows XP Installation (MicroXP)

• Extremely light version of Windows XP

• $2 = 100MB RAM, $3 256MB RAM

• Full 100Mbit Unmetered Port

Screenshots

This image here shows the specs of the VM We've been using to test and play around with

Here's task manager

My question is, Would you all be interested in a Windows VPS for $2 or $3 a month?

And What's the legality of doing this offer, I'm not some legal expert but perhaps i'll contact a few lawyers and see what they think

Comments

• catalystiumcatalystium Member
    edited September 2014

Not even sure that this would be legal at all unless you can come up with some XP licenses (even then I doubt it).

• @catalystium said:
    Not even sure that this would be legal at all unless you can come up with some XP licenses (even then I doubt it).

I'm almost sure, this breaks Microsoft's EULA because I've seen somewhere that you're not allowed to run desktop versions of the OS on a server environment/ Virtual environment.

• you can use .edu email and use FakeNameGenerator to get free Windows 2000 Server license for 5 users. Beside, this is in general section and it is exposed to public, should have moved this thread to offtopic section to secure it from public searches.

• Concept is new and cool, However I won't be doing it for legal reasons.

• You cannot legally run desktop-based versions of Windows (i.e. Windows XP, Windows 7) on a server/production environment. Production environments must be running a server-based edition of Windows such as Windows Server 2008 or 2012.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Also was not aware that Windows XP is stable with only 100MB of RAM.

• @BrianHarrison said:
    Also was not aware that Windows XP is stable with only 100MB of RAM.

The XP he was/is using is a stripped down version made by someone/group called microxp.

• why not. low end xp :D

(on a side note you cannot run windows xp or windows 7 or windows 8 on a server) however you could run windows server 2003 (which is xp server) and install desktop themes.

• Closed at the request of the thread starter.

This discussion has been closed.