Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a terms of service writer (legal help)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a terms of service writer (legal help)

Ali1Ali1 Member
edited September 2014 in Help

Looking for an experienced writer for a simple yet thorough terms of conditions agreement, any experienced legal writers willing to take the job? PM me with your price, thank you.

Comments

• What is the estimated length of the document that you're looking for, and what industry? (I assume hosting, but just want to confirm)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

said: experienced legal writers

In most countries these are called "attorneys" or "lawyers" or "solicitors". Why are you looking for one on LET of all places?

• Bit off topic here, but is it legally ok to take someone elses TOS and modify it heavily to your services needs?

I know this is looked down upon but I'm curious. I also understand not everyone here is a lawyer so I don't expect a definite answer and will take any advice as just that advice,

• StevieStevie Member
    edited September 2014

@ATHK

Source

Copying from other sources without permission is copyright infringement and not legal unless:

>
    >

The text is public domain (which wouldn't be in this case)

>

Or you get permission (you could always ask the other site)

>

Or your use of it would be considered "fair use". (changing it and using it on your site would not be fair use)

>
    >

In the case of terms and conditions, there is no good reason to copy from another site. There >are many sites that will let you generate your own terms and conditions and then give you >permission to use them. I would search for "terms and conditions generator" or something similar.

• Thanks @Stevie, good to know!

• LowEndLawyers for $7 an hour?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited September 2014

ATHK said: Bit off topic here, but is it legally ok to take someone elses TOS and modify it heavily to your services needs?

Kind of, there are boiler plate ones out there you can lift that cover the legal stuff, like liability, look at similar services for inspiration and extra clauses.

We've had a solicitor go through our own ToS's purely because he's a close friend of my colleague, so it wasn't a costly exercise.

If you're serious about your business or have a good budget, it's something you should definitely allocate even just an hour of their time.

• @ATHK said:
    Bit off topic here, but is it legally ok to take someone elses TOS and modify it heavily to your services needs?

I know this is looked down upon but I'm curious. I also understand not everyone here is a lawyer so I don't expect a definite answer and will take any advice as just that advice,

There are some under a creative commons license, e.g. Ghost Terms which was edited from WordPress Terms. You may be able to find one relevant to your industry

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@DalComp said:
    LowEndLawyers

Haha!

• @raindog308 said:

That's what I'm asking for, these so called attorneys are only good for preparing official legal documents, I need someone who does specifically this for web hosting services.

• @Ali1: suggest you Google for "hosting tos template".

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

If you want to to get it done by a professional, get in touch with David Snead, he is very familiar with the industry. Expect to shell out some heavy cash though.

Alternative, try rocketlawyer.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Ali1 said: That's what I'm asking for, these so called attorneys are only good for preparing official legal documents,

That is completely ridiculous and untrue.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • edited September 2014

Ali1 said: these so called attorneys are only good for preparing official legal documents

You want a ToS that's unofficial and/or not legal? A business should always have an attorney prepare and/or review their agreements, contracts, etc.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • @TekStorm_James said:
    You want a ToS that's unofficial and/or not legal? A business should always have an attorney prepare and/or review their agreements, contracts, etc.

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm looking for a lawyer that understands and works with hosting providers, not just a legal terms of service writing lawyer.

• This is an easy anwser if your trying to go professional @Ali1

http://www.dsnead.com

David knows what he is doing and is a cool guy to work with. He will get the job done for you to your expect specifications and knows the industry. Just look at his client list for a quick reference and you'll see