Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does resetting password via SolusVM re-enable keyboard interactive login for root if it is disabled?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does resetting password via SolusVM re-enable keyboard interactive login for root if it is disabled?

KVM server passwords can be changed via booting into a rescue disk, chrooting, and changing the password and the sshd_config if root login is disabled.

With OpenVZ and Xen if keyboard interactive login via SSH is disabled, and you forget the password to your encrypted SSH key how do you set a new key?

Does the SolusVM password reset form enable password based login in the sshd config automatically when it is used?

Comments

• The question there is incidental to the main topic. This is the Help subforum and it is why I am asking it here as well. I also want the question to be seen by those who actively interested in the contents of this subforum and may be able to give authoritative response to the question as a result of a deeper working knowledge of SolusVM.

• I routinely disable SSH password login, as well as disabling login from root.

In an emergency such as a firewall misconfiguration, all of the OpenVZ VPSs I have used include a Serial Console, which can be activated to allow a root SSH session. There is a "Serial Console" button in the main SolusVM page.

I do not have any experience with Xen.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • After you reset the root password in Xen, you can login via the console and edit SSH bits!

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • I tested the console and realized that it is not affected by the server's own ssh configurations. Thanks

The next question is how do you disable password based login and enable key based authentication for root, but allow both password based and key based authentication for normal users?

• @rchurch said:
    I tested the console and realized that it is not affected by the server's own ssh configurations. Thanks

The next question is how do you disable password based login and enable key based authentication for root, but allow both password based and key based authentication for normal users?

You can specify the username in SSH configurations, as well as the HOST .

Check the manual of ssh_config here: http://man.cx/ssh_config

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited September 2014

@rchurch said:
    I tested the console and realized that it is not affected by the server's own ssh configurations. Thanks

PasswordAuthentication yes
    PermitRootLogin without-password