Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best USA location for speeds from the UK
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best USA location for speeds from the UK

Hey,
I have a VPN with RamNode at the current moment but it does seem a tad slow,
I'm wondering what the best location would be for VPN speeds from the UK.
Thanks

Comments

• Possibly New York ?

• Look at the east coast - New York, New Jersey sort of places......I would say Buffalo at a push :)

• New York / New Jersey / Atlanta / Florida

First two being the best bet.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited September 2014

@catalystium said:
    New York / New Jersey / Atlanta / Florida

First two being the best bet.

^This. @Adisan, NYC/NJ should win. Possible additions: North Carolina, Pennsylvania. Also within Florida there will be slight differences between Jacksonville, Orlando, and Miami.

• New York, New Jersey tend to be 'decent' however I've had a good connection (faster than New York's Colocrossing) using Crissic's Jacksonville DC

• Skip buffalo and get the real new york or new jersey stuff (aka at choopa for NJ).

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @Adisan said:
    Hey,
    I have a VPN with RamNode at the current moment but it does seem a tad slow,
    I'm wondering what the best location would be for VPN speeds from the UK.
    Thanks

Where is your VPS located?

• AdisanAdisan Member
    edited September 2014

@Falco33 said:
    Where is your VPS located?

My current VPS is located in Atlanta, and thanks, i'll have a look at NYC/NJ

• @Adisan said:

Give their NY location some pings etc:

http://lg.nyc.ramnode.com/

• About 40-50ping more on my Atlanta VPS, so it would hopefully be better in NYC

• @Adisan - Montreal is better then buffalo and is real good, but North Jersey-New York is your best bet.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited September 2014

New Jersey.

I get 82ms, and 102ms for Buffalo, NY

• I'm going with NYC as my current VPS has about 6months left and they'll transfer me to NYC for free. :)

• Nicely done :-).

• I'd say that New York and the DC area are definitely the best bets.

• New York - I get a ping on 90ms from Wales via BT to RamNode NYC

• 88ms to ramnode NY, 121ms to CC's 'new york' from the UK! 99ms to Crissic in Florida I think, could be another choice.

• What do you mean by "seem a tad slow"?

Are you talking about normal use or when you benchmark server performance?

Personally, I really doubt you would notice a difference between Atlanta and New York in normal use, and likely the reason it seems slow is either the VPS (inc. the software setup) or your internet connection.

• Why don't you give the NL location a try? :)