Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

some noob questions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

some noob questions

jboogiejboogie Member
edited July 2012 in Help

Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a cheap VPS mainly for tinkering and learning
network stuff. First thing I'd like to do is setup openvpn on it.

So, I have some noob questions - first, are there some cheap lowend VPS I can buy not for a full year,
but just for some months?

Second, what happens if I exceed the bandwidth limit that the VPS offer has? Will I be
locked out?

Third, what happens if I accidentaly lock out myself (block ssh access with iptables for
example)? Will the company reinitialize/reformat the system for me so I'll be able to do a
clean install?

Comments

• @jboogie said: So, I have some noob questions - first, are there some cheap lowend VPS I can buy not for a full year,

but just for some months?

Sure there are, there's plenty if you check on the providers' websites or through the LowEndBox offers.

@jboogie said: Second, what happens if I exceed the bandwidth limit that the VPS offer has? Will I be

locked out?

Depends on your provider; you may be charged for overages, so it's best if you check their Terms of Service beforehand.

@jboogie said: Third, what happens if I accidentaly lock out myself (block ssh access with iptables for

example)? Will the company reinitialize/reformat the system for me so I'll be able to do a clean install?

You can access your VPS through a remote console in SolusVM, so, no-matter what, you should be able to get in.
    I should also add, you can reformat your system at any time you choose, it's pretty much fully automated.

Good luck!

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@ElliotJ said: SolusVM

That is if the provider you go with actually uses solusVM, or a similar control panel. As there seems to be some who are going through the "manual" approach.

• @ElliotJ said: Sure there are, there's plenty if you check on the providers' websites or through the LowEndBox offers

ok, but some examples? buyvm, prometeus are out of stock of the cheapest options, hostigation costs too much for my needs, and securedragon would be ok but it was not clear to me (though it seemed not to be possible) from the site if I can buy a 32mb or 64mb ram VPS only for a month or a quarter

• @jboogie

IPXCore still have their $0.50/month deal going on - Granted, you have to pay quarterly, but $1.50 isn't a huge wad of cash to blow :p

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • What price are you aiming for?

• wow, the ipxcore offer seems interesting! I'd like to pay less possible of course ;) something like 10-15€ yearly or equivalent monthly would be ok

• jboogiejboogie Member
    edited July 2012

of course I need very little resources, as I said this is not for anything serious

• DamianDamian Member

@jboogie said: I'd like to pay less possible of course

The offer allows you to pay bi-annually and annually too; just choose the option on the first page of the shopping cart.

• jboogiejboogie Member
    edited July 2012

Damian, thanks! I bought the offer, hope to have some fun with it

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

The lowest payment plan we have for our O32 and O64 would be quarterly. Sorry for any confusion.

• yomeroyomero Member

@jboogie said: hostigation costs too much for my needs

$4 is too much? o_O
    Well, have fun with the ipxcore one n_n

• IPXCore one is great.

I personally just used a ssh tunnel through putty for my "VPN" / "PROXY" connection. I obviously need to get OPENVPN running too. But that's an idea.

• Its my understanding that OpenVPN requires more than 64mb of ram (I tried to get it running on the IPXCore one). I'd say at minimum 128mb ram (its recommended actually).

If you get OpenVPN installed on a 64 mb ram server then let me know!

• @jboogie a little off topic but your avatar makes me think of Borgore ;p

• yomeroyomero Member

@HalfEatenPie said: If you get OpenVPN installed on a 64 mb ram server then let me know!

My VPN servers use less than 20MB RAM

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @djvdorp said: Borgore

YES.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • upfreakupfreak Member
    edited July 2012

@yomero said: My VPN servers use less than 20MB RAM

Mind sharing the setup? I tried OPenVPN AS on the 32MB IPXCore, it installed well, but started to max the memory and had issues with iptables. didn't have time to play further..

• @yomero TEACH ME YOUR SECRET

Thanked by 1upfreak
  • He said that it uses 20mb RAM, not that he installed it on a 32mb server.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited July 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: TEACH ME YOUR SECRET

LOL! There isn't a secret

• @yomero said: $4 is too much? o_O

Maybe I didn't look well, but the cheapest seemed 30$ a year... then again I probably misunderstood the whole quarterly thing, when I saw "payment type: quarterly", like on securedragon, I presumed you pay quarterly but you're obliged to pay for a whole year, when instead this wasn't the case.

the avatar, yes that is a funny hat ;) Borgore, I don't know him

haven't had time to play with openvpn still, will let you know my progress

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jboogie said: but you're obliged to pay for a whole year

There is no such thing as obliged for the future to pay something in this market. Some ppl push ahead overage of bw or cpu or whatever, but it is not working very well otherwise we would see more of that and fine print ToSes all over the net.
    You can't really go after the average Joe 10 k Km away in a totally different jurisdiction to force him pay 10$ for the last quarter, as such, ppl can only be enticed to pay in advance for a longer period in exchange for a hefty discount and ppl are reluctant because of scammers.
    M

• Going to play with one of my test VPS's with OpenVPN.... Really wanted it working for a while :']

• CekoCeko Member

You have plenty of options from companies offering low end vps deals.

If you get locked out of your own ssh you can always change your password or just reinstall your vps through SolusVM interface.

If you exceed your allocated bandwidth then you shall have an option to upgrade your vps plan or just buy some extra bandwidth.

Regards