Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Close it] Need to know something.... Datacenter reps invited for this discussion
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Close it] Need to know something.... Datacenter reps invited for this discussion

edited September 2014 in General

So, I've rented a server with a DC ( wont't mention the name just yet )

so I've ordered the following spec server

Dual L5639

72GB Ram

4x1TB HDD RAID-10

61 IPv4

10TB @ 1GBPS

Dallas,TX.

The issue starts when I experience low write speed about 260 mb/s on node ( thats avg i would get on that )

Ordered for an upgrade to SSD drives 4x512GB SSD

Paid on 4th sept ( The rep asked me 1 week time to do it , ofc i was impatient so contacted him within 5 days ) He later postponed it to the next week Saying parts haven't arrived and we have a few orders to full fill so can't allocate you drives until new stock arrives.

Today is 17th sept thats 13 days post payment excluding weekends would make it 9 days

Scheduled time was 16th sept 11 pm CDT , but he said something urgent came up and re-scheduled to 9 am CDT now its 1 pm CDT no reply from him .

Now heres the important part since its a fresh replacement of drives , i paid for ssd + upgrade setup fee , he asks me 35$ to actually reinstall OS and setup partitions and when i asked him why did i pay the setup fee he said its for replacing SSDs and re-setup of raid.

Okay... we had a few arguements i pissed him off ! so at 9 am CDT i contact him, he replies 31m later and says we are going through our list and will get back to you SHORTLY and its been 3h 15m since he said that.

Now this service is unmanaged i agree but what is this support??

Comments

• 260 MB/s on RAID 10 HDD's sounds fine to me? Did they all finish syncing?

• said: Okay... we had a few arguements i pissed him off ! so at 9 am CDT i contact him, he replies 31m later and says we are going through our list and will get back to you SHORTLY and its been 3h 15m since he said that.

I'll assume the box has IPMI/iKVM, and that you are able to re-install the OS yourself. If this is the case, you should kindly tell this individual that you're able to do this, and don't require that particular service. Aside from that, 3 hours isn't a very long time, even with him stating shortly. The services you requested do require physical labor, and sometimes these things can take some time. I do agree, though, that the initial setup time of 13 days, or 9 business days, is pretty significant for a drive upgrade. Did you agree on a setup time when you ordered the upgrade?

Also, 260MB/s write speeds aren't bad for SATA hard disks. The solid state drives would give much better results, though.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • He promised me 9 am CDT he will start and the setup will take 1 hour , now its 4 hours

It does come with IPMI and i agreed to do so but this delay is not generally accepted

Its a direct replacement i didnt ask them to sync anything

• Their network and uptime is just awesome i didnt have any downtime / network outage since the day i bought i am really happy with their service although this has been letting me down....

• Who are you renting your Dedi from ? and wow that's pretty weird and yeah 260 is fine by my ? and by my knowledge why does he require 35$ to re-install a OS doesn't that take 1 button ?

• VPSRAIDSolutions said: Its a direct replacement i didnt ask them to sync anything

As in was the array resyncing when you did the speed test?

• OS install should always be automated and always be free. I know some providers charge for it, but its a rip off. It doesn't cost must to setup a PXE server and allow customers to self install.

A disk swap assuming the equipment is proper kit with hotswappable drives, 5 minutes for 4 disks. Just power off, pull disks, insert disks. If its some cheapy thing with internal disks, then an hour or so to do it is probably reasonable.

For any form of disk upgrade like that, you need to agree a cutover point - so on X day you'll have the disks and they'll be installed between these hours.

Thanked by 1Corey
  • linuxthefish said: 260 MB/s on RAID 10 HDD's sounds fine to me? Did they all finish syncing?

Even on a SW Raid, 260 MB/s is a bit too low... Also it depends on the the type of drive. Seagate Barracuda's and some newer WD's would be much faster than this.

• Hi?

DalekOfSkaro said: Even on a SW Raid, 260 MB/s is a bit too low... Also it depends on the the type of drive. Seagate Barracuda's and some newer WD's would be much faster than this.

Not really true. Most of it caching if you got a BBU, which with some usage gets back to this real number.

• I understand being impatient but maybe something else happened? I am sure the DC will give you some kind of credit for the wait or downtime.

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    Seagate Barracuda's and some newer WD's would be much faster than this.

7200RPM is 7200RPM is 7200RPM no matter who makes the drive.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Sounds like a G

• Microlinux said: 7200RPM is 7200RPM is 7200RPM no matter who makes the drive.

Still 260 MB/s is way too low. This is VPS Level write speed.

• DalekOfSkaro said: Still 260 MB/s is way too low. This is VPS Level write speed.

4 drives isn't going to do more. The rest sadly is caching and illusions.

• Well, true, if he's getting 260 w/ oflag=direct then this makes sense, if it's without it, then it's slow. But that's just me :)

• I did mention that 260 mb/s is the avg we'd get on them , my issue wasnt the hdd drives int he first place..., its the time which would be taken for the upgrade

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited September 2014

DalekOfSkaro said: Well, true, if he's getting 260 w/ oflag=direct then this makes sense, if it's without it, then it's slow. But that's just me :)

Uh, not really.

Why don't you take a look to understand how raid 10 parity works? It's not rocket science, the values you get can all be mathematically derived.

Normal values will all run around 200-250 MB/s without caching, regardless of the raid card configured.

Secondly, /dev/zero is a piss poor and predictable data source -- and is unfit for actual benching / testing. You want to simulate real world hardware load.

direct, contrary to its namesake, is still not free from every kind of paging operation.

Thanked by 1Corey
  • VPS4CheapVPS4Cheap Member
    edited September 2014

I read you facebook post , you should not have spam there support and as they said you where having too many abuse complaint also so they decided not to continue any service with you and refunded your money.

Regrading server upgrade i am with IOflood since one year having multiple nodes with them and totally satisfied with there support . Ram upgrade or disk upgrade take less than 40 minutes to do .

• edited September 2014

Please delete the pics those are not meant to be shown here

• DC name removed as per request .

• What just happened?

• Setup IPMI or request KVM and setup the RAID and partitions yourself.

• @nexmark said:
    Setup IPMI or request KVM and setup the RAID and partitions yourself.

No need now, looks like they have been shown the door for not addressing abuse tickets and excessive support requests.

• @VPS4Cheap said:
    DC name removed as per request .

Everyone here knows who Harry Chan is.

Thanked by 2orak dnwk
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2014

I don't see the problem with charging $35 to swap some drives and re-set up a raid array, seems cheap to me, do you work for free when someone asks you to do work for them that was caused through no fault of your own?

You buy a server without remote access idrac/rilo/ipmi etc then expect them to work for free because you fucked up and ordered the wrong spec?

Get serious please....

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Harry is one of the best providers here. All our Dallas deployment is with them. Regarding remote hands price, 35 usd is ok for os reinstall, you can do it your self via IPMI if you dont wish to pay.

If you ask me, no real problem here.

Thanked by 1Awmusic12635
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    I don't see the problem with charging $35 to swap some drives and re-set up a raid array, seems cheap to me, do you work for free when someone asks you to do work for them that was caused through no fault of your own?

You buy a server without remote access idrac/rilo/ipmi etc then expect them to work for free because you fucked up and ordered the wrong spec?

Get serious please....

You can't really expect some 19 year olds to be as serious and as mature as you are. :)

I used to come to this place for 80% of learning VPS knowledge and 20% of drama/entertainment, now it is 20% of learning and 80% of entertainment.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • AnthonySmith said: You buy a server without remote access idrac/rilo/ipmi etc

System actually has full IPMI (DRAC) access.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited September 2014

DalComp said: Everyone here knows who Harry Chan is.

Guess I'll reply then :) People know me these days? I mean this in a very sincere and innocent way. I still think we're small and not well known. So thanks!

MattKC said: No need now, looks like they have been shown the door for not addressing abuse tickets and excessive support requests.

He closed the abuse ticket himself (it's all public now so I'll talk about it that much). However the complaint is still there - we're still having abuse reports flood into our system and it's been very confusing. We all know how our spam guardian friends work. They'd block all our IP ranges if it keeps up.

nexmark said: Setup IPMI or request KVM and setup the RAID and partitions yourself.

AnthonySmith said: You buy a server without remote access idrac/rilo/ipmi etc then expect them to work for free because you fucked up and ordered the wrong spec?

IPMI is provided free of charge. It's in a working condition. As to whether they want to use it or why they don't. I don't know - or rather shouldn't comment further.

drserver said: Harry is one of the best providers here

Thanks!

drserver said: Regarding remote hands price, 35 usd is ok for os reinstall, you can do it your self via IPMI if you dont wish to pay.

Yes, it's really not about it being automated or not.

MarkTurner said: A disk swap assuming the equipment is proper kit with hotswappable drives, 5 minutes for 4 disks. Just power off, pull disks, insert disks. If its some cheapy thing with internal disks, then an hour or so to do it is probably reasonable.

It's proper hotswappable. I'm not sure if you run a business and a facility or not. But let's go through proper processes.

Ticket received.
    It goes in a queue.
    Engineer has to take in and read the ticket.
    Engineer has to locate the cabinet and server.
    Engineer has to get the drives.
    Unlock cabinet and replace the drives.
    Engineer puts the replaced drives back in the storage.
    Ticketed invoiced.
    Report back to client about work done.

A lot of people might just see the meat and forget the rest of the overhead around it. Communication is key. During this process the client might have extra instructions or things haven't gone the way they should etc. Who knows.

Shivam said: Who are you renting your Dedi from ? and wow that's pretty weird and yeah 260 is fine by my ? and by my knowledge why does he require 35$ to re-install a OS doesn't that take 1 button ?

IPMI is provided. The server is self-managed. 1 button or 2 buttons and process above applies, it's more we've empowered the user with the ability to self-install (and Mark I agree some extra help is nice, which we'll add) and the charge is there to enforce the self-management model. We do provide management services.

MarkTurner said: For any form of disk upgrade like that, you need to agree a cutover point - so on X day you'll have the disks and they'll be installed between these hours.

That was it. Honestly, maybe I didn't hold his hand enough so it's my fault. I'm not sure how much has been floated on the Internet and how much more I can talk about.

Gist is:

• It was a sales ticket. I'm no longer even sure which ticket is what. He replied in ticket A and then suddenly we shifted to ticket B.
    • Not all staff see sales tickets. So if sales shift ended (which is only business hours) it's a bit hard.
    • We advised him many times to raise proper tickets per request and end it when they do, e.g. need a reboot then close the ticket once done. However the same ticket gets bumped and...
    • We were getting constant ticket updates. The initial tickets were worse. I often wrote half a reply and then the next ticket came in. I adjusted the reply and the next one came in yet again.

Thanks for the support those that did!

Whilst we're here, have some amazing Los Angeles dedicated server and colo specials!

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited September 2014

@concerto49 said:
    Whilst we're here, have some amazing Los Angeles dedicated server and colo specials!

Open a sales ticket I'm guessing? :)

This discussion has been closed.