Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN speed issue's
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN speed issue's

ahmiqahmiq Member
edited September 2014 in Help

Hi ,

I have setup a openvpn server by the nyr's script. Works perfectly , but have issue with the speeds. I am running it on a tcp port ( as the udp wont work through the http proxy ).

When i directly upload a file to the server via sftp or ftp ( to the same server as openvpn is running on) , i get speeds about 100 mbps up/down. But when i connect through the openvpn , my download speed is limited to about 20 mbps and upload to 5 mbps. Is there any way , to remove such limit?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Not sure what you mean. For a given port, you can either use TCP or UDP because TCP/UDP is a protocol. You should be using UDP. Also try to remove MTU from the config files.

• What server are you running this on?

• @black said:
    Not sure what you mean. For a given port, you can either use TCP or UDP because TCP/UDP is a protocol. You should be using UDP. Also try to remove MTU from the config files.

The openVPN server is listening on a TCP Port. I cannot use UDP as i have to use a proxy to use internet. this proxy only let's tcp connections go through ( somehow ).
    I will try to remove MTU from the config's and see if it makes any difference.

@kcaj online.net 2 euro dedi with debian on it.

without the proxy i can ftp a file to this dedi with 100mbps up/down , but with the openVPN , 20 mbps down and 5 mbps upload to it. ( openvpn is running on this same dedi)..

• Check the CPU usage of the server whilst you're sending traffic via it.

• may be proxy doing some throttle or speed issue.

• @kcaj said:
    Check the CPU usage of the server whilst you're sending traffic via it.

i do seem to notice that openvpn process has the highest usage of the CPU when i put on traffic via VPN . Can the CPU be bottleneck here?

• ahmiq said: I cannot use UDP as i have to use a proxy to use internet. this proxy only let's tcp connections go through ( somehow ).

Oh I see. That makes sense. Let me know if MTU does anything.

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

By any chance is this on the Vultr network? I recently did setup a VPN on one of their servers using nyr's script and faced similar issues. However, it worked flawlessly on another DO droplet.

• @Host4Geeks said:
    By any chance is this on the Vultr network? I recently did setup a VPN on one of their servers using nyr's script and faced similar issues. However, it worked flawlessly on another DO droplet.

He said it's a €1.99 Online.net

• @ahmiq,

Why don't you try downloading a static file from the server through this proxy without OpenVPN? In situations like this you need to try and isolate the cause. I've used OpenVPN through TCP and while it's not quite as fast as UDP the performance was not anywhere near what you're describing.

Thanked by 1ahmiq