Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review of Vultr
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review of Vultr

I've been using Vultr for 4 months now, not persistent usage but for testing things/running VMs which don't need to be powered up 24/7. Recently though I have chosen Vultr to run a server for me on a permanent basis.

CPU performance is fantastic, 3.4Ghz cores make things fly. It would be nice if CPU details weren't masked..

root@209:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 60
model name      : Vultr Virtual CPU 2
stepping        : 1
microcode       : 0x1
cpu MHz         : 3491.930
cache size      : 4096 KB

Network performance can be pretty decent. I've managed to sustain 700Mb/s throughput for several minutes at a time without a problem. I found performance in NJ to be a iffy sometimes, only ~100Mb/s transferring files between Vultr and other servers in the US.

The client area is a little lacking and plain. The snapshot feature doesn't always work. I've had no problems creating snapshots but find it can completely fail trying to restore sometimes. I've left instances for 3 hours previously attempting to restore a 15GB snapshot with no luck, it just does nothing. It would be nice if snapshots could be stored in specific DCs like DO offer, having to wait for a snapshot several GB in size to transfer from a remote server is tedious.

I'm really disappointed with the singlehomed network in London and how Vultr have handled my concerns/complaints regarding the matter. The website advertises multihomed connectivity but it's evident from use that they're linked with Level3 only.

Vultr only seems interested in deflecting their deceitful practices. No excuse/reasoning for why this isn't already in place seeing as it is advertised on their website.

Thanked by 1DaveA

Comments

• Why are you in soooooooooooooo belligerent about the whole multihomed stuff? You are paying $5/m with something that is 10ms away from you, I would say that is a fantastic deal. Routing is not always logical.

Thanked by 2jar Brad
  • J1021J1021 Member
    edited September 2014

@Spencer said:
    Why are you in soooooooooooooo belligerent about the whole multihomed stuff? You are paying $5/m with something that is 10ms away from you, I would say that is a fantastic deal. Routing is not always logical.

It is advertised, not delivered - That bothers me. If Vultr weren't singing 'Multihomed' over their homepage there would be no problem here.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited September 2014

Great review, what would your final score out of 10 be?

Spencer said: Why are you in soooooooooooooo belligerent about the whole multihomed stuff?

They advertised something that they didn't deliver. They could have just said that the datacenter in question didn't have such a network - rather they beat around the bush. That would lose points alone for me.

Multihoming refers to a computer or device connected to more than one computer network. It can be used, for example, to increase the reliability of an Internet Protocol network, such as a user served by more than one Internet service provider.

That's a sound definition provided by Wikipedia.

Spencer said: Routing is not always logical.

Routing is logical - boolean arithmetic. You can't have non-logical routing without some technological marvels.

• Silvenga said: Great review, what would your final score out of 10 be?

Somewhere around an 8.

Thanked by 2Silvenga haphan