Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM Debian tutorial
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM Debian tutorial

I'm currently experimenting with KVM virtualization on my Debian development dedi, but there's a couple things I don't quite understand. How to set up network bridging (also securing everything so machines can't use ip addresses from other machine to send traffic), how to assign multiple IP addresses to a machine and how to run a startup script on first boot.

I'm kinda looking for an all-in-one tutorial about KVM with Debian/Ubuntu. If someone has a good tutorial please let me know! :)

Comments

• I would use this: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualization-with-kvm-on-a-debian-squeeze-server

I'd highly recommend going through the API of libvirt with it's Python, Ruby, PHP, etc. implementations if you ever want to do a bit of scripting.

Otherwise, follow the above the tutorial and it'll get you started with setting up bridging! (I'm assuming you're being given an allocated amount of public IPs?)

• DennisDDennisD Member
    edited September 2014

@Kihi I have a /29 yeah.

That tutorial doesn't really explain me how to assign IP addresses to a machine or how bridging actually works, it just tells me what to do. I want to do everything from the CLI.

• @Kihi I have 4 IP addresses available for virtual machines, I have created the bridge but I'm wondering how to assign one of the 4 available ip addresses to my virtual machine. All the traffic from a certain IP address has to be routed to the correct machine.

• Nobody?