Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you terminate for 50k pps for a few seconds?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you terminate for 50k pps for a few seconds?

I'm currently with a provider that automatically suspends me every time I hit 50k pps for a few seconds. I sometimes use the box to download and extract some stuff, most of the time it just idles.

From a providers point of view: Is it okay to peak 50k pps for a few seconds?

Regards

tr1cky

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

No if it's legit and only for a few seconds.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

few seconds is ok I would still question it though as I really cant see any good reason a download alone would unavoidably create 50k pps

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • sorry my dumb question, what is pps? thanks

• @ndlong75 said:
    sorry my dumb question, what is pps? thanks

Packets Per Second

Thanked by 1ndlong75
  • @ndlong75 said:
    sorry my dumb question, what is pps? thanks

Packet per second, as far as I know a good network card can handle ~300k pps without troubles.

@AnthonySmith said:
    few seconds is ok I would still question it though as I really cant see any good reason a download alone would unavoidably create 50k pps

It's 5 parallelized downloads, no other way to hit anything close to 1gbps on the box.

Thanked by 1ndlong75
  • WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited September 2014

Hitting close to a gig on a gbit node is also a massive no no, for any amount of time. Even if you saturate it for 20 seconds, that means 20 seconds of packet loss for that direction for other clients on that node.

Cap yourself to 500/600 mbit and you'll probably be fine. What kind of dl is this, though -- 50kpps seems to me like a horrendous abuse of threads.

Thanked by 1Spencer
  • @Wintereise said:
    Hitting close to a gig on a gbit node is also a massive no no, for any amount of time.

Cap yourself to 500/600 mbit and you'll probably be fine. What kind of dl is this, though -- 50kpps seems to me like a horrendous abuse of threads.

I'm not even hitting close to a gbit, I hit 50k pps with ~300mbit, it's 5 downloads, each of them have 1 thread.

• 50k pps of maximum size (1500 byte) packets is 600Mbps. So if the provider is advertising and promising you a gigabit, they should up the pps limit to say 80-90k pps.
    If they want to put 50k pps limit they should not advertise it as a gigabit since there is no way to use the gigabit.
    On the other hand 50k pps limit is reasonable for a 100Mbps port.

• @rds100 said:
    50k pps of maximum size (1500 byte) packets is 600Mbps. So if the provider is advertising and promising you a gigabit, they should up the pps limit to say 80-90k pps.
    If they want to put 50k pps limit they should not advertise it as a gigabit since there is no way to use the gigabit.
    On the other hand 50k pps limit is reasonable for a 100Mbps port.

Not sure on that one to be honest, not all of the internet runes on 1500 MTU. All of our blades for example, right out to the internet; use 16K MTU. Our local mirror, a lot of download mirrors (CentOS, EPEL, etcetera.); thus can be accessed over the full 16K MTU. The brunt of the hit is taken once the packets reach our internet switch, only then must they be split out into 1500 byte packets for the rest of the internet (which is an outbound rule on the outermost switch.)

That being said, we've yet to see any of our clients pushing more than 10,000 packets per second without doing something absolutely stupid like ping -m or ping -a, etc.

• rds100 said: If they want to put 50k pps limit they should not advertise it as a gigabit since there is no way to use the gigabit.

There actually is never a way to use the full gbit on shared vm systems. Either way, < 600m is still decent enough, I'd say.

• This is really what makes the differance between some of the better providers and the lower end ones. As a provider the first step should be to open a ticket letting the customer know that they are using lots of network. By the the time they check again it would have ended. You would reply with reasons and so on. If they find them legeit then you can talk about it. Also the provider has the option to install a virutalswich on the node and then limit your traffic to 40kpps or what every they feel is with in the limits.

• @GoodHosting with path mtu discovery TCP will automatically fall down to whatever is the lowest mtu between the two endpoinds. Normally it's 1500. Just do a tracepath to some random destinations and you will see that it's not 16k mtu to the internet. It's 1500 to 99% of the internet.

@Wintereise fine, but advertise it as "200Mbps VPS speed limit on a gigabit node" or something like that. Advertising gigabit and terminating anyone who tries to use 600Mbps is not right.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2014

Router: Mikrotik 1016

Net: 200Mbps = 40.000 PPS

CPU = 10%

all Ok

• You are not the only one on the node, and yes I would suspend. Many providers here see upwards of 50K PPS as the start of a DDOS / DOS attack and are suspending to help stop it before worse damage happens. Usually it is an automatic script.

Thanked by 2Wintereise ryanarp

tr1cky said: It's 5 parallelized downloads, no other way to hit anything close to 1gbps on the box.

Ok but again, why?

in a bridged environment that can cause issues.

• It's not my intention to hit 1gbps but it's also not my intention to hit only 100mbps, if I download something and I don't download stuff all the time. My current bandwidth usage is 400GB, that's not even close to the limit of the box.

well ok, obviously not something you want to share so I wont push, stressing the box because you can though is just not good eh.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2014

But a simple "wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test" could reach 600Mbps and exceed this 50k pps limit. If you are going to put such a limit at least make sure that the customer can't reach it with normal use, i.e. by shaping his speed to something safe below this limit - like 200, 300, 500 or whatever Mbps.

• @rds100 said:
    But a simple "wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test" could reach 600Mbps and exceed this 50k pps limit. If you are going to put such a limit at least make sure that the customer can't reach it with normal use, i.e. by shaping his speed to something safe below this limit - like 200, 300, 500 or whatever Mbps.

It can reach over 50K PPS for 2 seconds. It can't for more than 5 seconds which is likely the limit of the host here.

While I acknowledge the the fact that PPS limit should be more than that for 5-10 seconds, I doubt the host terminated the VPS for one time occurrence.

Did you have a discussion about the limits before the termination? Was it the first time occurrence?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Why does the thread title say "terminate" but the post says "suspend"... they aren't the same thing so I suggest clarifying if your host is suspending you or terminating you as it will change the context of this thread.

serverian said: While I acknowledge the the fact that PPS limit should be more than that for 5-10 seconds, I doubt the host terminated the VPS for one time occurrence.

This, frankly it is not even likely a host would even notice such a short burst which is why I was trying to find out what the actual score is.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:
    This, frankly it is not even likely a host would even notice such a short burst which is why I was trying to find out what the actual score is.

Exactly my point, looks like we are missing something here since since a few seconds of burst would go practically unnoticed in most circumstances.

• @Nyr said:
    Exactly my point, looks like we are missing something here since since a few seconds of burst would go practically unnoticed in most circumstances.

It would since the host run automated script, which will trigger automated suspension immediately after the VPS go over certain threshold the host had set. I think nodewatch does something like this.

• Well speaking pps, yesterday some hacker logged onto SSH on vps, put a rootkit script and booted script and he started using my vps for ddosing some sort of Chinese telecom.

Lol he sent over 1'000'000 pps.

• @vladka24 said:
    Well speaking pps, yesterday some hacker logged onto SSH on vps, put a rootkit script and booted script and he started using my vps for ddosing some sort of Chinese telecom.

Lol he sent over 1'000'000 pps.

Sigh, and you think that is funny :((((((

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Kinda... My host helped me stop before shit hit the fan.

@Mun said:
    Sigh, and you think that is funny :((((((

• After this occurred for the first time, I had a script running every second to count pps, that's the output just before suspension (actually don't know the difference between suspension and termination) :
    TX venet0: 14830 pkts/s RX venet0: 43944 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 9878 pkts/s RX venet0: 27999 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 4997 pkts/s RX venet0: 12582 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 9056 pkts/s RX venet0: 25772 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 14546 pkts/s RX venet0: 39591 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 8945 pkts/s RX venet0: 21475 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 11055 pkts/s RX venet0: 35928 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 14987 pkts/s RX venet0: 40606 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 9378 pkts/s RX venet0: 24043 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 10124 pkts/s RX venet0: 26155 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 11378 pkts/s RX venet0: 31730 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 14771 pkts/s RX venet0: 39664 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 18245 pkts/s RX venet0: 42181 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 16698 pkts/s RX venet0: 41917 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 14829 pkts/s RX venet0: 40617 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 13020 pkts/s RX venet0: 32928 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 13082 pkts/s RX venet0: 34363 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 11222 pkts/s RX venet0: 27230 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 15472 pkts/s RX venet0: 31192 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 10226 pkts/s RX venet0: 22666 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 9774 pkts/s RX venet0: 26008 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 10990 pkts/s RX venet0: 31566 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 10437 pkts/s RX venet0: 32715 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 7198 pkts/s RX venet0: 16729 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 8023 pkts/s RX venet0: 20436 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 10905 pkts/s RX venet0: 28625 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 9360 pkts/s RX venet0: 29492 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 8675 pkts/s RX venet0: 29373 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 14374 pkts/s RX venet0: 42511 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 13125 pkts/s RX venet0: 38514 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 13628 pkts/s RX venet0: 40633 pkts/s
    TX venet0: 13669 pkts/s RX venet0: 39683 pkts/s

• What the hell are you downloading, I do not understand what you would need 250+ Mbps for.

• @Mun why would anyone need more than 56k dialup? saying you don't need more than 250Mb is ridiculous when technology is ever evolving. people (including myself) pay for gigabit (burst) capabilities. I can hit 900Mbps on both vultr and dotvps (or whatever it's called today) without issues - really useful for backups.

• @udk said:
    Mun why would anyone need more than 56k dialup? saying you don't need more than 250Mb is ridiculous when technology is ever evolving. people (including myself) pay for gigabit (burst) capabilities. I can hit 900Mbps on both vultr and dotvps (or whatever it's called today) without issues - really useful for backups.

Maybe so, but on a VPS this is sorta ridiculous, probably should move to a small dedi or something more able to sustain those speeds. I personally see 40K pps as abusive.