Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean: New Features in Europe: IPv6, CoreOS & More
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean: New Features in Europe: IPv6, CoreOS & More

From their info mail:

Ps! If you signup with my aff. link you will get $10 in free startup credit. Thats two months of free hosting with their smallest plan. Here is my link: https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=6baa1cd0214b

Today, we are excited to announce AMS3, our first region in Amsterdam running v1.5 of our backend codebase. Users spinning up Droplets in the region can now enable IPv6, as well as take advantage of additional benefits, e.g. taking snapshots and enabling networking services without the need to power off.

If you'd like to try out IPv6 in AMS3, we've written up easy-to-follow community guides:

How To Enable IPv6 For DigitalOcean Droplets
How To Configure Tools To Use IPv6 on a Linux VPS
How To Add Additional IPv6 Addresses to your Droplet
How To Configure Your Droplet to Only Use IPv6 Networking

There's also been a lot of excitement throughout our community around our recent CoreOS announcement, and we’re proud to now offer the CoreOS operating system to all developers spinning up Droplets in AMS3.

You can read more about the new region and join in the discussion on our blog post.

Comments

• DO... using 6 dcs in 2 cities...

Thanked by 1rm_
  • What good is having a third location in Amsterdam if they are all below sea level?

Thanked by 1howardsl2
  • @kornnflake said:
    DO... using 6 dcs in 2 cities...

Pretty popular cities (NY and AMS), so a good thing that they don't lay all their eggs in one basket, but use several DCs, so you can have several servers in AMS, and still, if one DC goes down, the others is up.

• myhken said: Pretty popular cities (NY and AMS), so a good thing that they don't lay all their eggs in one basket, but use several DCs, so you can have several servers in AMS, and still, if one DC goes down, the others is up.

No good for the use of private networking.

• @myhken said:
    Pretty popular cities (NY and AMS), so a good thing that they don't lay all their eggs in one basket, but use several DCs, so you can have several servers in AMS, and still, if one DC goes down, the others is up.

@kcaj said:
    No good for the use of private networking.

The pros/cons right there.

• Im sure if they really wanted too they could lease some dark fiber between each datacenter in the same city to create an internal network that works between all 3

• Each datacentre peers differently even in the same city. We are seeing this especially in New York, I think we have 2 or 3 different peering sessions with them and see just that one datacentre per session.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Still it'd be massively more attractive if they simply had 3 different cities instead.

As currently, it only adds confusion. It is not an easy question which one of the three "New Yorks" to use. Not with the peerings being all different, too. I'm not a fan of the recent trend of cutting down user-accessible options in everything, but in this case can totally see how this adds to discomfort and doubt ("did I really choose the best one for me and my visitors?"). Especially considering you [obviously] can't migrate between them at will without losing the IP and even having some downtime.

Thanked by 1howardsl2
  • @rm_ said:
    Still it'd be massively more attractive if they simply had 3 different cities instead.

As currently, it only adds confusion. It is not an easy question which one of the three "New Yorks" to use. Not with the peerings being all different, too. I'm not a fan of the recent trend of cutting down user-accessible options in everything, but in this case can totally see how this adds to discomfort and doubt ("did I really choose the best one for me and my visitors?"). Especially considering you [obviously] can't migrate between them at will without losing the IP and even having some downtime.

^this

• Theres always Vultr where we don't have to launch a new DC or Pseudo DC to offer new features... just sayin.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited September 2014

@DaveA said:
    Theres always Vultr where we don't have to launch a new DC or Pseudo DC to offer new features... just sayin.

I really don't see the hype in DO after using Vultr.

It's literally just a standard VPS host with hourly billing available.

Thanked by 1DaveA
  • Ive been monitoring Vultr ( @DaveA ) with smokeping in all their locations and they are doing much better random spike wise than DO

Thanked by 1DaveA
  • I'm moving away from DO mainly because of their clunky kernel upgrade system (which I'm yet to see in other providers' systems and I have absolutely no idea why they came up with such a system in the first place) and their ETAs that ara never fulfilled.
    Other that that and very slow IPv6 adoption they are very nice.

Thanked by 1DaveA