Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iPhone 6* & Apple Watch Discussion! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iPhone 6* & Apple Watch Discussion!

Comments

• @netomx said:
    And no, I'm not tired of saying those good things about Mexico

Pretty sure corporate contracts are that length everywhere. Certainly are in the UK.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @eddynetweb said:
    Do they allow you to customize the operating system at least a little in iOS 8? Or is it the same o' same locked down experience?

My understanding is that you can now add third party keyboards, adding a feature that Windows Mobile had.

So, some revolutionary changes.

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited September 2014

@ihatetonyy said:
    So, some revolutionary changes.

I'm sorry, I had too. :P

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Nekki said:

Mine are 12 months, sorry pal :p

• @netomx said:
    Mine are 12 months, sorry pal :p

I meant all corporate contracts are 12 months.

• Infinity580 said: The Only Point why people want to have it its because its expensive so its a not easy to reach it and you are a bit special but thats it ( that's what the science said).

Maybe we just like the product we buy and we don't mind paying extra for what we like? I've owned BlackBerry, Android, and iPhones. So far, I iPhone works best for my needs. Thus, I don't mind paying extra for it. Same thing goes with my MacBooks etc...

If you like your Windows PC and Android phone, fine. I like my MacBook and iPhone, which is fine. If my product is more expensive than yours, so what? Why do you care?

To each their own, man. Relax :-)

Thanked by 1srvrpro
  • All the android, apple, windows fans

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd

@Nekki said:

Oh sorry

• @ElliotJ said:
    The screen is far too fragile; putting it my jeans caused the LCD to fail, and after getting it repaired for £160, It failed again a couple months later.

What jeans do you wear?

• KeltharKelthar Member
    edited September 2014

So, a phone that sells for 700€ ($906) in my country (iPhone 6 16GB version) has worse specs than a sub-200 phone.

And then come the people "specs don't matter, software is designed to work for them". Sure. But that's like saying my 35 year old PC is top of the line because it runs the programs that were designed for it.

Having your software made worse so that it runs on worse hardware isn't an "achievement", nor something to be proud of. It's a god damn failure. It's a failure to have your software dumbed down to match the hardware.

Your hardware is supposed to be great, to give developers a playing field to create the best apps/games/whatever they can, not something where they need to wonder what to cut out so that it runs.

• Kelthar said: So, a phone that sells for 700€ ($906) in my country (iPhone 6 16GB version) has worse specs than a sub-200 phone.

And then come the people "specs don't matter, software is designed to work for them". Sure. But that's like saying my 35 year old PC is top of the line because it runs the programs that were designed for it.

Having your software made worse so that it runs on worse hardware isn't an "achievement", nor something to be proud of. It's a god damn failure. It's a failure to have your software dumbed down to match the hardware.

Your hardware is supposed to be great, to give developers a playing field to create the best apps/games/whatever they can, not something where they need to wonder what to cut out so that it runs.

So guys that's the kind of pain which comes out when you can't afford an iPhone. Don't be that guy who ignores quality over quantity.

• raindog308 said: I think all iPhones and most smartphones in the US are sold with a 2-year contract. Otherwise, no subsidy and you're going to pay full price - probably $700ish for the cheapest 16GB model.

Are they really subsidized? I got the impression that cellphone plans are nothing more than credits with rather large interest rates

• srvrpro said: Don't be that guy who ignores quality over quantity.

apple's quality isnt worth to pay premium price

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • namhuy said: apple's quality isnt worth to pay premium price

I have both iPhone and android. When my life is going on smooth, I switch to android.

• I don't really believe in Apple, I'm atheist.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

netomx said: Ha! Corporate contracts in Mexico are just 12 months :)

Then you're paying more per month or more initially. In the US, for example, an iPhone 5S (16GB) is $99 with a 2-year contract. If that was a 1-year contract, then somehow the additional cost will be passed on to you - higher up front payment or higher monthly payment. It's not like Apple is going to say "oh, we're going in to Mexico, I guess we just have to take half as much money".

• Why do people get iPhones with a two year contract when there is a new iPhone model each year? You would be stuck with an "old model" for a whole year?

@raindog308 said:

Nah, you just pay more for the phone, except if the bills are high (they have something called points, if you spend more than your bill, you gain points, changing them to get a cheaper phone renewing the contract)

rds100 said: Why do people get iPhones with a two year contract when there is a new iPhone model each year? You would be stuck with an "old model" for a whole year?

OMG! The indignity!

I've been upgraded through work from 3gs -> 4s -> 5s. The changes between them have really been pretty minimal. Nicer camera is about the only big change and that was more dramatic going 3gs->4s than 4s->5s.

I can't think of anything major my 5s does that my 3gs didn't. I know there are some things (Siri, etc.) but I think I could stagger by, somehow, someway with a 2 year old phone :-)

You can always go to your phone company and pay more to replace ahead of contract.

• Same here, my year old 5S will do me fine for another year, then when 6S comes out, upgrade time.

• KeltharKelthar Member
    edited September 2014

@srvrpro said:
    So guys that's the kind of pain which comes out when you can't afford an iPhone. Don't be that guy who ignores quality over quantity.

Sorry to tell you that I can afford an iPhone. I simply won't purchase one. I prefer buying smart, not buying expensive.

If you think expensive is exactly the same as quality, you're in for a treat.

Furthermore, you're the one ignoring quality over quantity: it's more expensive, so it's better, so, yeah.

I want to get the most out of my money, and that money definitely isn't being used properly by paying a thousand for a phone I bought two years ago. All that Apple has is the brand, and a cult-like following: its hardware is the cheapest they can produce without being massively called out for it, but still crap compared to today's standards.

A dual core, in 2014. And it's only 1.4GHz.

I'm waiting for Apple to start producing toilet paper, and watch people justifying $100 a roll. "I prefer quality, not quantity" "It's innovative: the way the paper folds, it's something we've never seen before" "It's not just toilet paper: Apple gives it an extra, making it super-smooth" "An ass-wiping experience like you've never had before"

• @Kelthar You win my friend :) but I already ate the cookie.

Kelthar said: "I prefer quality, not quantity" "It's innovative: the way the paper folds, it's something we've never seen before" "It's not just toilet paper: Apple gives it an extra, making it super-smooth" "An ass-wiping experience like you've never had before"

Excellent quote! hahaha

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy

Kelthar said: A dual core, in 2014. And it's only 1.4GHz.

And if they put a quad core in it at 2.8Ghz you would not be able to tell the difference.

It's a phone. Any app for it will be certified for the iPhone 6 and run as expected.

@raindog308 said:

I bet you can!

• @raindog308 said:

That's bullocks and you know. Meanwhile, I have two Android phones. I have a single LG Optimus (G2X) smartphone with a single Tegra4 processors; and I can certainly feel the pain of inadaquate CPU when I am trying to do many things (such as 1080p video streaming from my phone, as it has a powerful camera; even though it was released at least three years ago.)

Now, in contrast; I also have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, with a much more powerful processor and more RAM; and damn can I feel the difference when using my favourite applications, which just happen to use a little more resources than the average "hurr durr look at my latest selfie" application that the average iPhone user will use.

Thanked by 1netomx

GoodHosting said: That's bullocks and you know.

I know nothing of the sort. iPhones are black box devices. Developers target specific models. They may say "requires ipad 2" but they don't say "requires 1GB of RAM and at least a 1Ghz processor". Many people who buy PCs can tell you what chip, or at least what chip family (i3, i5, etc.) is in their PC and how much memory it has. Virtually no one can tell you what is in their iPhone or iPad.

People really need to stop thinking of iPhones in terms of their CPU/RAM/etc. specs. No one uses them that way and no one cares.

In the Android world, specs may have more meaning. But even there, developers think in terms of models or generations of models, not like the PC universe where it's all componentized and application publishers list specific components, graphic cards, minimums, etc.

The only people I've ever heard referring to their phones' components are IT nerds, who are a fraction of the purchasers.

@raindog308 said:
    The only people I've ever heard referring to their phones' components are IT nerds, who are a fraction of the purchasers.

Aren't we?

• raindog308 said: No one uses them that way and no one cares.

A good majority of the Android market has already tried an iPhone (been there, done that); and wasn't able to put up with the disgustingly simplified interface, and completely locked down Operating System. (I can't say completely really, since you can break it, and you can break it in very fancy ways, but to the average user; it's completely unconfigurable.)

I'll stick with my 2014 technology, you can have your just-reached-2012 .