Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WordPress Appliance/Image and Provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WordPress Appliance/Image and Provider

squibssquibs Member
edited September 2014 in Help

I'm finding shared hosting is getting bogged down by WordPress installations with complex themes and more than a handful of plugins. I know from past experience that I can get excellent speed on a modest VPS with nginx and some caching.

Just wondering if there's a premade ISO for hardened, optimised WordPress available, and a provider who can accept custom ISOs at Digital Ocean prices? The idea is to take the grind out of building the WordPress environment using something built by someone with more linux smarts than me. Closest I've come so far is loading centminmod on top of a clean centos install.

Comments

• Just remembered vultr have custom ISOs. Now I just need the ISO!

• definedcodedefinedcode Member
    edited September 2014

We're happy to take an ISO/tarball for our KVM plans (submit a ticket) or we can use any OpenVZ template you have for OpenVZ plans. Most providers will allow this too, I believe. We offer plans that are pretty similar to DO's prices.

The only template I can think off that comes with WordPress preinstalled is: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/wordpress

If you setup a VM with hardened WordPress yourself we can then create a template off this and provide it to you to reinstall as and when you wish.

A sample plan for you from our latest offer:

VZ 1024

RAM: 1024MB
    Unmanaged
    6GB PURE RAID SSD
    10TB Transfer (in/out)
    100mbit uplink
    1 IPv4 address
    Native IPv6 on request (up to 20)
    OpenVZ Virtualisation
    Strasbourg, France
    Price: £3.25/month
    Order: https://definedcodehosting.com/client/cart.php?a=add&pid=4

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

There is no one-stop shop when it comes to Wordpress or any other blog platform.

TurnkeyLinux is the closest you get but that is probably not optimized for your usage.

Best bet is to document your installation with all the changes you made so you can, when everything is up and running, recreate the installation anywhere you like.

After some time you will learn how to automate some parts and make the installation faster for each time.

• @MikHo , That is a great suggestion....superb :)

• Don't know if this is your cup of tea, you might take a look at Cloudways - http://www.cloudways.com

They use Digital Ocean Droplets & Amazon AWS to deploy their custom wordpress app. Currently offering the same price as DO per month. From my previous experience, they run LAMP stack + Memcached + Varnish on their instances.

Or you can use EasyEngine script - https://rtcamp.com/easyengine/

Easy Engine install a vanilla wordpress with nginx FastCgi cache enabled. However their nginx rules are custom and hardened. For example they move wp-config.php out of htdocs, etc.

Thanked by 2AhsanParwez squibs
  • @MiKHo Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at, and quickly rejected Turnkey - I would look at it as more for dev/sandbox than for production. As for creating my own - I know enough about Linux to know I don't know enough about Linux.

@Faizi cloudways could be a great solution - thanks. I'm checking out the free trial now.

In general, would centminmod on a fresh linux install be considered "production ready" from a security perspective (if we ignore DDOS)?

Thanked by 1AhsanParwez
  • Hi guys,

I am the WordPress Community Manager at Cloudways.

@Faizi Thanks for your recommendation and @squibs for checking out our cloud hosting platform.

I will give you guys a brief about our services and platform that we have built.

Cloudways is a PaaS that is built upon DigitalOcean and Amazon Web Services EC2 infrastructures. You can easily manage your DO and AWS servers with Cloudways platform in just few clicks.

General server configuration while using DO or AWS through Cloudways is:

1- Varnish
    2- Memcache
    3- Apache
    4- Nginx
    5- Debian Linux
    6- PHP
    7- MySQL
    (All updated and running on latest versions)
    This server setup ensures reliable performance and maximum speed and utilization of server resources, best for all php based applications and websites.

Cloudways Platform has following features:

1- 15 real time monitoring features.
    2- Vertical Server Scaling
    3- Service Management (Nginx, Varnish, MySQL, Apache, Memcache...)
    4- Advance Server settings (Upload size, execution limit, memory limit etc.)
    5- SSL Certificate Configuration
    6- Automatic Backups
    7- Server Addons (Email settings)
    8- Dedicated IP
    9- Unlimited Domains
    10- Unlimited Application Installations with single click
    11- SFTP connection
    12- Dedicated MySQL Database
    13- Application Restore
    14- Application and Server Cloning
    15- Git Integration and Deployment Via Git and much more...

I hope that explains a lot :)

If you guys still have questions feel free to contact me.

--Ahsan

Thanked by 2squibs sirmbhe
  • @AhsanParwez: Why use Varnish, Nginx and Apache when Nginx alone will do the job of all 3? It seems like a real Frankenstein setup.

• @Symlink said:
    AhsanParwez: Why use Varnish, Nginx and Apache when Nginx alone will do the job of all 3? It seems like a real Frankenstein setup.

I use nginx and apache side by side and IMHO, it's much better that nginx alone or apache alone. The flexibility and ease of apache, and the performance of nginx. I also used to use varnish with apache, but never use all three of them.