Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

windows or linux?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

windows or linux?

RandyRandy Member
edited June 2012 in General

i am thinking to sell winows vps only as i am better in windows over linux
i am aware that most of the users here are linux users

what do you guys think ? i m more in to windows over linux? should i do what i do at best , rather then handling linux
as i am selling windows would solus still be a good option for me? (reloads are required to be done via recovery)

Comments

• If you do not know linux how do you expect to be able to run a node?

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • RandyRandy Member

i never did say. that i dont know to uuse it

• @Randy said: i never did say. that i dont know to uuse it

@Randy said: i m more in to windows over linux? should i do what i do at best , rather then handling linux

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/3275/

• RandyRandy Member

i sm just better in windows

• jcalebjcaleb Member

try it man...

• RandyRandy Member

and your point is? when its one man show?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

i mean try that market. it might be good.

• TazTaz Member

I wish life was as simple as left and right click. Learn Linux. Trust me, it will be fun.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Do what you know.

• RandyRandy Member

yes. i am still learning that is why i offer windows for now.

thanks for the tips

• KairusKairus Member
    edited June 2012

Why are you asking us? What if none of us want a Windows server, will you offer *nix servers even though you obviously don't know much about it? This doesn't seem like a decision that you should ask random people about....

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2012

I think they mean that since the host will be linux and there is the most work, then guests are of little importance as of what you are more familiar with.
    OVZ cant do windows, but Xen and KVM can, however, Xen is linux and KVM is by definition part of the linux kernel.
    If you like to do vmware of some sorts, that is their own kernel (suppose you dont do workstation or server :o) and is also much more *nix than windows.
    I suppose you could use some sort of panel to setup things for you, but **** will happen, more likely sooner rather than later, and you will be out in the cold without serious help.

OTOH not many providers are offering windows guests these days, there are many ppl that want to move into virtualization and dont know linux at all, however, I suppose it is hard to admin and since that uses full virtualization, there is a lot of overhead, even with PV drivers, you will have fewer guests on the node and the price will have to be high.
    A windows LEB is possible, IMO, but would be a small one.
    Also, there could be malware problems killing the guests and hammering the node, while putting windows on the net is something I didnt dare to do yet more than through an USB GSM/CDMA stick of some sort.
    M

• RandyRandy Member

i i uss xen and solus. thanks 4 the tips my vps wil be low priced.
    just hope that there will be customers. even tho i offer windows vps only

I am sure there will be customers, especially with a low price, but I dont think it will be worth it, anyway, good luck :)
    M

• RandyRandy Member
    edited June 2012

Thanks, can you explain what is "not worth"? as in which part

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Profit. You'll be lucky to sell a cheap Windows vps (for what we consider cheap here) and not lose everything plus some the first time you hit a drive failure.

• license costs via MS SPLA are pretty high...(in my opinion)....so I don´t think you can provide "really" cheap windows vps at all...cos you already have about prox. 5 USD per win 2k8 std....so tell me how do you want to sell it "really cheap" :-)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

but he will have a different market, right?

• mistertmistert Member
    edited June 2012

well of course you unlock a different market for your company...but "only windows" is quite useless in my eyes...It should always be a good mix out of both (unix and windows-vps)....
    we´re offering also windows-vps...but the feedback is quite small (only a few orders per month...in opposite to a few hundred of linux...)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

he could market it on another community. maybe .net developers or something. just an idea

• well...but for .net you can use mono on linux also...so the customer can save the license costs as well...but yeah...this could be a specific market for his idea...but...on the other hand...will he get rich with it? (.net-community isn´t that big at all)...I don´t think so... :-)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

he could try. we'll never know

• RandyRandy Member

as for now the license cost is not an issue and also its much cheaper as i get them from my provider.

i dont wana get my hands on linux just yet its gonna screw things up i am still in a progress of learning.

jcaleb, thanks :)

• Randy you strongly remind me of the Randy from How I Met Your Mother

• RandyRandy Member

LOL , IS THAT A GOOD THING OR BAD THING ahhahhaa :D

If you dont want to get your hands on linux, dont start this. The host will be linux and this is where the problems will happen mostly.
    I strongly advise you dont try unless it is for your friends that like to test stuff till you understand better the problems that can arise.
    M

• @Maounique not in every case...you could use hyper-v... :-) So even the platform would be windows/microsoft... :-)

• RandyRandy Member

yep. i am learning on my own vps box :)

• @Randy did you ever think about starting as a reseller of some bigger provider? So you´ve got the technical backround of this provider and you can learn the basics etc pp slowly?

@mistert said: @Maounique not in every case...you could use hyper-v... :-) So even the platform would be windows/microsoft... :-)

I stand corrected, forgot about hyper-v.
    M