Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB diff
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB diff

sleddogsleddog Member
edited September 2011 in General

Me for September:

-Semoweb
-123Systems
+Hostigation
+Bitcable

Fair bit of churn but the QOS has increased substantially.

Comments

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited September 2011

Well, I knew what happened to your 123sys server, but semoweb seems like good, however I didn't try them by myself, tbh ;)

• Semoweb was good... until they forgot their business

• uptimevps
    • chicagovps

both with great prices in this month/quarter and super fast support.

• I don't get the purpose of this thread?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2011

sleddog does - (minus) means direct cancellation or also losing your trust into them as decent providers?
    And same with + (plus) does this means that they are your new host or also that you started to appreciate their quality?

edit. I am thinking about to cancel my both RAMhost vpses.

• Spirit said: edit. I am thinking about to cancel my both RAMhost vpses.

I also find the current situation with Ramhost worrisome...

• Ixape said: I don't get the purpose of this thread?

You know what a diff file is? Basically it records the differences between two files.

• semoweb? those monkeys shouldn't be in hosting business. absolutely none whatsoever knowledge about what they're doing. support outsourced to the moon probably, according to the language they speak. if you want to have your mind at peace, avoid at all costs

• @alex

those monkeys shouldn't be in hosting business

You could say that about at least a third of the companies in this business. I see even more of a problem on shared hosting.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited October 2011

alex said: semoweb? those monkeys

Semoweb's VPS service used to be good. They didn't go overboard on the overselling and they provided a respectable support service. But now that's history -- at least in my experience.

• Incidentally, it seems Semoweb now owns the domain test.com

When I login to their SolusVM I get an email login notification from "[email protected]"

Now how professional is that? :)

• drmike said: You could say that about at least a third of the companies in this business. I see even more of a problem on shared hosting.

so true. I went vps route to be more in control in case something goes wrong, but there are times when you just NEED the support, for whatever reasons.

• I saw that all the time during my wordpress days. Lots of emails and forum posts with "my host did something and now my site doesn't work" or "my host doesn;t have a clue" or "my host disappeared. Can I still get my data?"

• semowebsemoweb Member
    edited October 2011

===========

Incidentally, it seems Semoweb now owns the domain test.com
    When I login to their SolusVM I get an email login notification from "[email protected]"
    Now how professional is that? :)

===========

We keep everything white label ;)

• semoweb said: We keep everything white label ;)

Uh huh.

Most companies that white-label actually buy a domain for that purpose.

• semowebsemoweb Member
    edited October 2011

Why do we need to buy a domain? What does it benefit?

Its like our slaves as well they have competently miscellaneous names...

Think logical why waste when you don't have to, and we are not most companies we run our business as we wish.

• Actually I would think it would be a concern. How do you deal with bounces or replies if they're going to someone else's email address? I would think a working email would be a requirement.

• You are of course free to run your business as you wish.

But if you're going to sending mail across the Internet you should at least start with a valid setup.

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx:test.com

• Hey, it;s for sale:

http://www.sedo.com/search/details.php4?language=us&domain=test.com&partnerid=17505

It's really not. It's owned by network solutions.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited October 2011
    + Hostigation
    - EnetSouth

I'm impressed Hostigation is able to keep performance so high, and Tim is really responsive.

Enet, I heard good things about their VMware solutions, and obviously hosting LET, but this whole support fiasco is unacceptable. It sucks because their OpenVZ VPSes had some really great performance, and it's still performing well right now.

• It sends em just fine ;)

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited October 2011

semoweb said: It sends em just fine ;)

Yup. A lot of spammers say the same thing.

• I'm sure they do.

• Come to think about it, it is against can-spam as a working from address is required:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN-SPAM

Although seems like most providers around here based in the US pretty much ignore that law.

(Oh, I'm so going to open up a can of worms for this.)

cough

I know I've brought this up before but it's a pity that LEA doesn't take into account the legalize of a provider before they get listed. I know we've had providers with warez versions of management programs and the like that have been listed. And the UK corporation laws.

sigh Maybe some day. Right after i get my 96 pixel text probably....

• @drmike: Actually, it looks like it's "Test Central, Inc." just using Network Solutions' whois privacy. Unless that was a comment about the legal/ownership ramifications of whois privacy :)

@semoweb: Spammy-ness aside, I think it's a reasonable and quite smart suggestion to start using a valid email address, especially since I think you do in fact already own a domain :). Not only is it more likely that your real address will be allowed through a junk mail filter, but also monitoring bounce notifications on automatic emails is just basic email etiquette.

There's also the possibility of a customer hitting "reply" on one of those login notification emails to try to contact you for support, as stupid as it sounds. If you controlled the address on that email you could at least send an automated "Please contact us via our ticket system"-type message, instead of the unfriendly "No MX Servers Found" bounce message they'll currently get, or even worse the real owner of test.com could run a mailserver and start intercepting anything meant for you.

Someone once setup a catchall on some domain like noreply.com and posted a report on the sort of stuff it collected. If I recall correctly, I think it even got quite a few emails with bank account login details from people trying to get support from their bank (the bank had sent out newsletters with the address [email protected]). It's not unbelievable that some less than clueful customer might someday send their root password to [email protected] because of your emails.

• @fanovpn Probably. Could have sworn that it was one of the reserved domains put aside by ICANT but I was in a hurry.

It's not unbelievable that some less than clueful customer might someday send their root password to [email protected] because of your emails.

What makes you think they're not already doing that? He wouldn't be getting the emails and, while I haven't seen a header to make sure, he's probably not getting bounced back either. One of the most common complaints in the anti Semoweb threads is his lack of communication. The misconfigured emails may be the cause of that.

shrug But hey, he doesn't see it so so be it. I've given up bitching at hosts about issues. I just point them out and move on. If they don't want to listen and fix their problems, no skin off my nose.

Let me go back to my dreams.

Hmmmm.....

96 pixel text.....