Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GIVEAWAY: 64MB KVM @ MaximumVPS.net
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GIVEAWAY: 64MB KVM @ MaximumVPS.net

J1021J1021 Member
edited September 2014 in General

Hello,

I have a VPS at MaximumVPS.net of the following specification:

64MB RAM
5GB HDD
56GB Data transfer
KVM - SolusVM
1 IPv4 - 0 IPv6
Jacksonville, Florida

Renewal price is $8.50, renewal date 15 Aug 2015.

Please post in this thread to show your interest, I'll pick who gets it around Monday evening.

Comments

• I'll take it if you are willing to give it.

• I'd like to take it. Also to prevent that you continue ddosing CF HK ;)))))))))

• How do you even get an OS to BOOT on a 64mb ram vps?

• how much usable RAM do you get on a 64MB KVM? o.O

• what os is running on it ?

• @Rallias said:
    How do you even get an OS to BOOT on a 64mb ram vps?

Linux OS like debian, centos (both minimal install) or maybe Damn small Linux have a very small footprint I believe. That's why there are some provider have this tiny plans on their service lists.

• I wouldn't mind taking this. Not sure if I get it but it wouldn't hurt to try. ;)

• much to small - sorry - not mine

• @sirmbhe said:
    Linux OS like debian, centos (both minimal install) or maybe Damn small Linux have a very small footprint I believe. That's why there are some provider have this tiny plans on their service lists.

@hostnoob said:
    how much usable RAM do you get on a 64MB KVM? o.O

Just as long as you don't run CentOS 7 ; which has a base memory footprint of 140M. And CentOS 7 Desktop minimal is much worse too, requiring an astonishing 768M just to boot properly.

Compared to CentOS 6.5 x86_64 Minimal clocking in at 37M usage, or 218M usage in Desktop minimal (much less.)

• socialssocials Member
    edited September 2014

@GoodHosting said:
    Just as long as you don't run CentOS 7 ; which has a base memory footprint of 140M

Definitely not. More like around ~60MB.

Edit: Yep, just tested. It was 59MB after boot. And that was with NetworkManager running/enabled (!).

• @socials said:

Install a system from the NetInstall (or Minimal) media using the GUI installer (default method) and select the package selection "Minimal" (first option). You do not even need to include the "Compatibility libraries" optional sub-package.

Let the system install, then resize your RAM down to 64MB and watch the system fail to boot (not even kidding, I had issues with initrd not being able to load, and the default kernel settings for things such as the ramdisk and shmalloc are far too high as well.) Remembering that CentOS 7 comes only in a 64 bit flavour, we can expect it to be slightly larger than CentOS 6 (memory footprint wise) just based on the duplicated libraries, let alone the extra crap that systemd brought along.

In our lab, we did the following:

VCPU: 1
    #CPU: 10000 / 10000
    RMEM: 1073741824 b (1 GB)
    DISK: 10737418240 b

We then completed a standard installation using the NetInstall ISO, and restarted the VM. After applying "yum update -y" we then rebooted the machine one more time, then resized the VM to the following specifications:

VCPU: 1
    #CPU: 2500 / 10000
    RMEM: 67108864 b (64 MB)
    DISK: 10737418240 b

The system failed to boot, completely failed. Even after removing some unnecessary packages that the system installed, and manually configuring a lot of kernel options related to memory buffers, removing the virtio balloon driver, and other things; we were still unable to boot the system every time* (some times it would, other times it would not.)

Even when the system did boot, it had less than 10M left for applications.

• What @GoodHosting said. I've done the testing, CentOS 6 at the time I did it needed a minimum of 163 MB of ram to boot (64 bit, minimal)

• Use Debian 6 32bit, minimize it using Minstall, and you would get less than 20MB memory usage :D

• Quite small, but I'm interested :)

• @Rallias said:
    How do you even get an OS to BOOT on a 64mb ram vps?

Why not? My Debian uses 10 MB RAM.

• @Chuck said:
    Why not? My Debian uses 10 MB RAM.

KVM?

• @hostnoob said:
    KVM?

OpenVZ.

• Interested. If you give it to me, I'll (try to) use it in my rtmp (re) streaming cdn cluster, with a bunch of LES and similar.

• @Chuck said:
    OpenVZ.

Ah, KVM uses more RAM than OpenVZ. I think because it has to load it's own kernel, but I'm not sure how much more memory it uses.

• @hostnoob said:
    Ah, KVM uses more RAM than OpenVZ. I think because it has to load it's own kernel, but I'm not sure how much more memory it uses.

Under OpenVZ, you generally need only load a few tasks (generally less than 10 if tuned.)

Under KVM, you are a fully fledged physical system; with 100-200 tasks to boot. (many are kernel threads created per physical core / processor / CPU, and some created per segment of RAM (such as loop* and /dev/shm and the other related things.)

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • GoodHosting said: Under OpenVZ, you generally need only load a few tasks

That's why openVZ is some times better depending of the need, especially if the vps is low end specs. Of course, this is valid only if the provider is reputable and the node is not overcrowded.

• @jvnadr said:
    Interested. If you give it to me, I'll (try to) use it in my rtmp (re) streaming cdn cluster, with a bunch of LES and similar.

How do you stream/restream RTMP?

• yywudiyywudi Member
    edited September 2014

this is memory usage in my Maxmium 64M KVM vps.
    Debian 6 32bit, install nginx/php/pptpd/openswan/xl2tpd/shadowsocks, really enough memory for my private VPN usage.

free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 58 53 4 0 12 16
    -/+ buffers/cache: 24 33
    Swap: 112 2 110

Private + Shared = RAM used Program

>

56.0 KiB + 25.5 KiB = 81.5 KiB init
    68.0 KiB + 21.0 KiB = 89.0 KiB logsave (2)
    76.0 KiB + 26.0 KiB = 102.0 KiB _pluto_adns
    76.0 KiB + 38.5 KiB = 114.5 KiB logger
    76.0 KiB + 52.0 KiB = 128.0 KiB _plutoload
    116.0 KiB + 23.0 KiB = 139.0 KiB xl2tpd
    120.0 KiB + 40.5 KiB = 160.5 KiB syslogd
    136.0 KiB + 31.5 KiB = 167.5 KiB xinetd
    148.0 KiB + 43.0 KiB = 191.0 KiB cron
    100.0 KiB + 96.0 KiB = 196.0 KiB _plutorun (2)
    152.0 KiB + 51.0 KiB = 203.0 KiB pptpd
    180.0 KiB + 46.0 KiB = 226.0 KiB ss-server
    276.0 KiB + 14.5 KiB = 290.5 KiB dhclient
    216.0 KiB + 126.0 KiB = 342.0 KiB getty (6)
    388.0 KiB + 113.0 KiB = 501.0 KiB su
    420.0 KiB + 112.0 KiB = 532.0 KiB dropbear
    252.0 KiB + 351.0 KiB = 603.0 KiB udevd (3)
    1.0 MiB + 404.5 KiB = 1.4 MiB nginx (2)
    1.0 MiB + 739.0 KiB = 1.7 MiB pluto (2)
    956.0 KiB + 2.9 MiB = 3.8 MiB php5-fpm (3)
    5.0 MiB + 911.0 KiB = 5.9 MiB bash (2)

16.7 MiB

• Can I have it? Minecraft server. LOL.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • 0xdragon said: How do you stream/restream RTMP?

Mostly with nginx-rtmp module. Easy, fast and gorgeus! Using a server as the main streamer (not public) that pushes the stream to 8-12 restreamers. Then, a page with a player that randoms pick the stream from one of the servers.

• @jvnadr said:
    Mostly with nginx-rtmp module. Easy, fast and gorgeus! Using a server as the main streamer (not public) that pushes the stream to 8-12 restreamers. Then, a page with a player that randoms pick the stream from one of the servers.

So is it theoretically possible to re-stream online TV (BBC iPlayer etc)?

• I don't know the nature of the stream from bbc. If it is an rtmp:// stream, then you simple have a push command on rtmp-nginx module. If it is not, then in most of cases you neef ffmpeg in the vps to convert the stream to rtmp and, then, stream it. In the second scenario, you need a more powered vps (1GB memory 2-4 cpu cores, depending on the node/overselling). In the first scenario, you can do it with a very low end machine (my restreamers are from 96MB to 256MB!, all with single vcpu).
    If you drop me with some rtmp url's, I can test it and stream it for u.

• @jvnadr said:
    I don't know the nature of the stream from bbc. If it is an rtmp:// stream, then you simple have a push command on rtmp-nginx module. If it is not, then in most of cases you neef ffmpeg in the vps to convert the stream to rtmp and, then, stream it. In the second scenario, you need a more powered vps (1GB memory 2-4 cpu cores, depending on the node/overselling). In the first scenario, you can do it with a very low end machine (my restreamers are from 96MB to 256MB!, all with single vcpu).
    If you drop me with some rtmp url's, I can test it and stream it for u.

How would I be able to see where the stream is coming from?

• In some streams (the easy ones) you can simply discover the stream in firebug (Firefox addon), depending on what platform they are streaming (wowza server, red5 or any other solution) and what player do they use. In other cases, such the big networks/tv channels, you have to use url/stream snippers (google them there are a lot of programs out there, some of them for free). But have in mind that some networks change often their streaming url or/and parameters, and some others do provide a complicated or protected stream that cannot easily be restreamed. Play with it a little, later today I'll try to find the bbc one/two urls to see their format.

• @0xdragon In a quick look, I saw that bbc uses authentication for allowing a player to show it. I'll search it later, cause I have to go for now. I'll pm you then.