Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using ServerPilot.io? Care to leave impressions?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using ServerPilot.io? Care to leave impressions?

BlanozBlanoz Member
edited September 2014 in General

Good people of LET/LEB, has anyone used ServerPilot.io intensive enough to offer any kind of remarks? I'm not very comfortable with a 3rd party horse in my stable and I like to CLI the hell out of my 4 VPSes, but I simply do not have any more time to do it.

Alas, I'm perfectly aware that I will still have to configure e-mail and DNS, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• I have not used ServerPilot.io I have seen there service but in the end I would not want to use a service like this what happenes if they shutdown sometime in the soon putting hacks aside.

I recommend spending a weekend with Ansible or another configuration managment get your scripts setup and store them in a private git repo.

• Hmmm thanks @wojons. Will take a look into Ansible.

• Hi, I'm one of the founders of ServerPilot. It's completely understandable if you don't want to use any third-party service or software to manage your servers. But in case you're only uncertain about whether we in particular are trustworthy, I'd suggest reading more about our team:

https://serverpilot.io/team.html

Thanks,
    Justin

• @ServerPilot said:
    Hi, I'm one of the founders of ServerPilot. It's completely understandable if you don't want to use any third-party service or software to manage your servers. But in case you're only uncertain about whether we in particular are trustworthy, I'd suggest reading more about our team:

https://serverpilot.io/team.html

Thanks,
    Justin

Hi Justin, thanks for replying. I've been stalking you guys for almost a year. I was curious what others might have to say for or against your service. I might just simply go and give it a spin anyways.

PS: forgotten password? 2FA Authentication? Would love to see these available.

• I love ServerPilot on my development servers so far. It's really quick to setup and easy to use. :)

• PS: forgotten password? 2FA Authentication? Would love to see these available.

We're just about to get to some of these obvious but still missing features---if things like a forgotten password reset could be called a feature.

This year we've been focusing heavily on nailing our core service, including launching an API (launched last week), rearchitecting for scalability, and we're just about to launch a new interface. Once we get the new interface launched, we're going to implement a lot of the basic stuff we've been handling manually via support up until now (e.g. password resets, email address changes), a lot of the details that make user experience better (e.g. more documentation, improved learnability for new users), and other good stuff like two-factor auth.

• I would not ever trust people, who thinks that Ubuntu is OK for servers and who do not provide any ways for non-ubuntu users "Your server must run
    64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 or
    64-bit Ubuntu 14.04."

I highly doubt, that they can stay even their own website online in case more than 100 visitors per second. It seems like, that these people never work on important projects. I think, that if you have website about cats or own blog without visitors, you can use ServerPilot. Otherwise you should never use services like this.

Canonical sponsored? Ofk.

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • Profforg said: Canonical sponsored

What do you have against Ubuntu? Canonical is one of the sponsors of Debian!

• @Profforg said:
    I would not ever trust people, who thinks that Ubuntu is OK for servers and who do not provide any ways for non-ubuntu users "Your server must run
    64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 or
    64-bit Ubuntu 14.04."

I highly doubt, that they can stay even their own website online in case more than 100 visitors per second. It seems like, that these people never work on important projects. I think, that if you have website about cats or own blog without visitors, you can use ServerPilot. Otherwise you should never use services like this.

Canonical sponsored? Ofk.

You should try to have less of a head-in-arse posture. Everything is for a purpose and suits certain needs. You'd use Ubuntu until you realize that stability heads off marketing in a server environment. Then you'd (hopefully) switch to Debian/CentOS. You'd use ServerPilot until you realize that it isn't (anymore) the proper solution for you needs. And so on.

There is never a "one way" of doing things.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • Blanoz said: You should try to have less of a head-in-arse posture. Everything is for a purpose and suits certain needs. You'd use Ubuntu until you realize that stability heads off marketing in a server environment. Then you'd (hopefully) switch to Debian/CentOS. You'd use ServerPilot until you realize that it isn't (anymore) the proper solution for you needs. And so on.

There is never a "one way" of doing things.

Well, your words makes sense, but i want to help other people to move faster to the last step (switch to Debian and do not use ServerPilot).