Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

25usd credit from digitalocean trying CoreOS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

25usd credit from digitalocean trying CoreOS

... In fact, if you want to try out CoreOS on DigitalOcean, use this limited edition promo code, SFDOCOREOS25 (expires 9/12/2014) and receive a $25 credit to your DigitalOcean account...

source: https://coreos.com/blog/

Comments

• Nice, thanks.

• awesome, thanks!

You have been granted a credit on DigitalOcean! Booyah!

Your balance has been updated and can be viewed at:
    https://www.digitalocean.com/billing

Happy coding,
    DigitalOcean

• You can only enter a coupon code once in do?

• Yeah I can't add it because I added a coupon in the past. Bummer.

• I made a new account. I had two before with $10 coupons applied, but I never added billing info so I never actually used them.

I have $20 on Vultr and $30 on DO now for $5 each :P

• Damn, BLACK50.

• Aww, no way to add your own ISOs like Vultr? :(

• @hostnoob said:
    Aww, no way to add your own ISOs like Vultr? :(

nope

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited September 2014

DO kinda sucks compared to Vultr :/

Can't even use a larger plan for a couple of hours unless you have the full monthly amount in your account...

• hostnoob said: Aww, no way to add your own ISOs like Vultr? :(

No. It's KVM but with a shared kernel like OpenVZ (although you can hack your own kernel in).

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

hostnoob said: I have $20 on Vultr and $30 on DO now for $5 each :P

I have like half a million dollars already in credits at these 'cloud' hosters, but see no use for them whatsoever now with these 2 EUR dedis... (and even before, with the 5 EUR ones)

AThomasHowe said: It's KVM but with a shared kernel like OpenVZ (although you can hack your own kernel in).

It is not shared with other customers, rather just provided by the host (but you still run your own copy of it).

• rm_ said: It is not shared with other customers, rather just provided by the host (but you still run your own copy of it).

Oh really? Interesting. Guess I got the wrong end of the stick.

Any idea why?

• It seems this cannot be applied to an existing account?

edited September 2014

AThomasHowe said: Oh really? Interesting. Guess I got the wrong end of the stick.

Any idea why?

One of the more nefarious possible reasons, is that they want everyone to run a uniform kernel with support for virtio Memory Balooning, which even with KVM allows to oversell RAM on the nodes to some degree. And can't think of any other reason, really.

Thanked by 2AThomasHowe RLT
  • @mpkossen said:
    It seems this cannot be applied to an existing account?

Nope, just new ones

• So DigitalOcean is literally just a hosting provider that allows you to pay monthly :| I thought it was supposed to be a leader/innovator in "cloud hosting"

• rm_ said: One of the more nefarious possible reasons, is that they want everyone to run a uniform kernel with support for virtio Memory Balooning, which even with KVM allows to oversell RAM on the nodes to some degree. And can't think of any other reason, really.

That makes sense. I thought i'd be something to do with their setup like that.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2014

I don't think they use memory ballooning, otherwise your memory total would actually show as smaller when you're not using as much and such. You can also check modules I think to see if it's enabled, although the ballooning itself is of course more obvious.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Also according to https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-update-a-digitalocean-server-s-kernel-using-the-control-panel it sounds like you can install your own kernel, it just needs to be set in panel for boot selection? Not sure.

• Thank you that promo code did work.
    Enough money to play around with DO again.

• can we use coupon code only one time ?

It is showing you have used coupon DIVEIN10 but there is no option to enter new coupon code there ?

edited September 2014

perennate said: otherwise your memory total would actually show as smaller when you're not using as much

I think you're mistaking it for something else. AFAIK the virtio balooning is about signaling to the host OS about regions of RAM that are not being used in the guest OS, so the host OS doesn't have to keep those reserved.

perennate said: You can also check modules I think to see if it's enabled

Sure, it does appear in the modules list. And you can also unload that module just fine if you want.

perennate said: it sounds like you can install your own kernel, it just needs to be set in panel for boot selection?

You can choose a kernel out of a list of predefined ones (typically all pretty old and close to the 'standard' version which comes with your selected distro). But you can't add new kernels to that list.

• Thanks. Opened a new account, added my cc, got 10 dollar credit while i made the account and i opened a ticket for the 25 dollar coupon, got $35 credit now, all for free! :)

• @joodle said:
    Thanks. Opened a new account, added my cc, got 10 dollar credit while i made the account and i opened a ticket for the 25 dollar coupon, got $35 credit now, all for free! :)

How? You got 10$ credit without promo code?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@sonic said:
    How? You got 10$ credit without promo code?

With a referral link, like mine :p

• 3.6 Subscribers are restricted from registering multiple Accounts with the same billing details without first notifying DigitalOcean of that intent. Otherwise, DigitalOcean shall have the right to automatically flag such Accounts as fraudulent or abusive, and Digital Ocean may, without notification to the Subscriber of such Account, suspend the service of such Account or any other Account used by such Subscriber. The use of referral codes by multiple Accounts having the same billing profile is not allowed. DigitalOcean also reserves the right to terminate a Subscriber's Account if it is targeted by malicious activity from other parties.

Careful.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Meh, I clicked the link in the blog post and signed up, it only gave me $10 though.

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited September 2014

Heh thanks! checking LET once a while does have its merits. Half year free VPS.. not bad. If DO turned out to be good I might stay with them..

• @Reetus

Same happen to me, so I opened a ticket and they added $25 more (instead of the default $10)

my balance is now: $35.00