Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wordpress multisite on leb
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

wordpress multisite on leb

ArtDecoArtDeco Member
edited September 2011 in Help

Hello I'm new around here - but I think I recognise a few of the members from wordpress and webmaster forums. After all, how people have "Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner" in their sig?

Anyway, I have only ever used shared hosting with cpanel, but after a few bad experiences with different hosts, a vps for about the same money as a shared account at any of the big name hosts sounds attractive. However I am a bit of a domain junky, and to support my domain habit, I usually set up a wordpress site on each domain and sell it once it gets some traffic.

I am currently holding only 15 domains, but have had 40 or 50 at a time although only a few were active at once.

Since it seems like most of you are only running one or two domains per small vps, I don't expect to host dozens of wp sites on one LEB, but I am wondering if wordpress multisite plus the domain mapping plugin ( Only one instance of wordpress and one database connection) would dramatically reduce the memory required per site and let me join in the fun.

So do any of you "low end geeks" have any advice about this?

Also on another thread Dr. Mike mentioned looking for an OS for his ASUS - I saw mention of someone running Lubuntu on a eeepc 900 on the Lubuntu site. I am running Lubuntu on a laptop so old that it says "designed for windows 2000" on the sticker and it runs ok. Not great but OK.

Thanks in advance,
Art Deco

Comments

• Small WPMU on nginx powered by php-fpm = 140 MB of memory on OpenVZ (was running on 128 guaranteed with 256MB burst). Now on 256MB Xen - no problems at all (nginx+php-fpm+mysql eating something around 110MB with 30+ days of uptime). And I'm pretty sure, that with more tweaking you can get lower memory consumption than mine.

• ArtDecoArtDeco Member
    edited September 2011

Wow. That's pretty encouraging, I was expecting much higher memory required than 256MB. Are you using subdomains or directories? Any control panel?
    ArtDeco

• Directories with no control panel. Don't know if 256MB will be enough for cPanel - never used it on VPS. I hope someone else will share the knowledge on the subject.

P.S. I should note, however, thats there is no way (never heard about any, at least) to run cPanel with nginx. And with Apache you'll need more memory.

• Yeah I know that cpanel won't fly, but never thought it was worth that much anyway - in fact I was surprised that it was a paid product . Looking into kloxo or directadmin, but don't really think I need a control panel anyway... i'll go research nginx for now.

• I have a multisite (5 sites) wordpress on 128MB/256MB. around 30MB are free. no hiccups.

• ArtDeco said: i'll go research nginx for now.

There's the lowendscript
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/wordpress-cheap-vps-lowendscript/

And you can also do "Centmin"

• Andrea and Ron used to require at least a vps for them to install their wpmu setups. Not sure what their policies are currently (I stopped dealing with them when they started hawking their own paid solutions while tooting the "We're not going to promote paid solutions (unless of course it's our own)" horn in the wp/mu.wp.org forums.) but I've done wpmu installs on leb's before without issue. Switching over to nginx and installing at least a file based cache solution (if not also adding in memcache) is a requirement.

I do shared hosting and I have no problem sticking a wpmu install on one of my servers. I'm also not overloading my boxes though as we have a 200-225 client max on them with our outsourced tech support and they're decent boxes no matter what these folks say about them.

We really need to come up with a single, accessible by all, working version of lowendscript. Something that will allow tickets to be tracked correctly, someone managing it who can deal with outstanding issues and move it along. LEA's version has issues and I;m sorry to say is out of date. Xeoncross' version has issues. i have a version as well that adds to both of theirs but still has issues as I royally suck at scripts like this.

Thanked by 1trelawney
  • @komo that's excellent - you are using the current wp multisite, not wpmu, correct?
    @kiloserve Centmin looks like it has all that I will likely need, and it would be great to have a menu as a security blanket since I have never done this before. Thanks.
    ArtDeco

• wp multisite, not wpmu

Same damn thing. Only difference really between them is that multisite has 200+ extra lines in it checking on the difference between the two different versions.

• drmike said: We really need to come up with a single, accessible by all, working version of lowendscript. Something that will allow tickets to be tracked correctly, someone managing it who can deal with outstanding issues and move it along.

I have somewhat of a 'lowendscript' that installs nginx, PHP, FastCGI, and Spawn FCGI, although all from source for CentOS. I'll look into making it public at some point.

• @Tech163 that's the exact opposite of what we need. We already have a lowendscript, about a dozen forks of it and no real way to allow for tracking, ticket monitoring, or issue resolving.

Adding yet another fork is going to make the problem worse, not better.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited October 2011

Standards

I am still working on mine. I checked some of the forks others have made lately and they don't really fix much. I'm expecting to have some more changes pushed soon and I think I'm going to just create a new repo so that tickets for lowendadmin's script don't have to deal with my changes.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited October 2011

The other reason why I'm bugging about this is that I added in an empty command that just creates the site's directory and adds it into Nginx's config files.

@Xeoncross it's hard though for you to keep track of things since all of the tickets and whatnot go to LEA's git repo. Y0u even said that yourself.

edit: I can't remember but I don't recall ever making a ticket for the wp salt hashes being created in LEA's script. They're left as the default.

• drmike said: We already have a lowendscript, about a dozen forks of it and no real way to allow for tracking, ticket monitoring, or issue resolving.

It'll be a bit different, because I intend on creating one for CentOS/Fedora, and possibly add the ability for tickets/etc.

• I wrote a nginx, php-fpm and mysql setup script for CentOS.

• It's like herding kittens :)

• Eddie said: It's like herding kittens :)

Yup. Herding kittens is a lot of fun, just as long as you don't get too hung up when they don't herd ;)

• sigh I had a cat who liked to play babysitter for the rescued kittens we wound up with.