Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need feedback for our open source social network similar to facebook - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need feedback for our open source social network similar to facebook

Comments

• drazilox said: And that's exacly why PHP's native password_hash function should be used. It's very simple and creates secure hash.

And by default it's using bcrypt so you'll be able to find a library in almost every popular programming language.

• I just want to know whatever happened to Buddyexpress.

• If anyone wants to contribute to this open-source cms please do so, themes plugins / mods and even the core coding, do not like something or think it would be better by adding editing code? Go ahead and grab the code!

Thanked by 1lianglee
  • I am not even sure if FB will allow this to continue. Seems like ....you will have some issues with them.

@lianglee Please answer this since I personally going to use it.

• Had a quick look at the code.

You might not want to use variables like this:

$h = input('h');
    if(empty($h)){
        $h = 'index';
    }
    echo ossn_load_page($h, input('p'));

'h', 'p' and $h mean what exactly? Home and page I'm guessing? No comments to explain.

Mixing of PHP and templates. You probably don't want to do this although this isn't a must, you'll probably find it much cleaner in the long run though to have real templates that don't immediately echo to the page. I don't know if I'd want all my CSS files to be PHP files either with processing in them. That'll add some overhead on a social network.

start.php & exceptions - why throw exceptions if you never catch them? PHP will throw an error anyway if your file doesn't exist. Maybe want to use if file_exists() and then include.

Why is the admin page handler a switch? Don't you think that's a little inflexible and easy to get pretty unwieldily?

Why does the theme xml file have tags like 'theme_version'? It's within , I think people will probably understand what you mean by .

Couldn't author.txt and contributors.md be one file really...?

Why do some of your PHP classes have initiators but no constructors?

In this line:

$this->ppage = (int)$ppage;

wouldn't an is_number() check read easier? Especially seeing as types are so loose in PHP.

Password security as mentioned.

You should use some indentation on your HTML too dude.

I just had a glance for 10 mins, I'm sure there's more. It's not horrible though. I think especially as an open source project with a wide potential set of contributors you may wanna rethink a lot of these things because it'll get messy fast.

Also - no GitHub/BitBucket etc? Why?

Thanked by 2sz1hosting lianglee
  • liangleelianglee Member
    edited September 2014

@AThomasHowe said:
    Also - no GitHub/BitBucket etc? Why?
    Couldn't author.txt and contributors.md be one file really...?

author.txt is file containing project owner name, contributors.md contain names of people of contributed to project

See : https://github.com/opensource-socialnetwork/opensource-socialnetwork
    Please send pull requests so we can change the code

See Also : https://github.com/opensource-socialnetwork/opensource-socialnetwork/commit/9e31dc8488efbafe95f241def03246aba47abc29

The index.php has been updated

start.php & exceptions - why throw exceptions if you never catch them? PHP will throw an error anyway if your file doesn't exist. Maybe want to use if file_exists() and then include.

Yes you are right but we used this because in future we are going to add custom exception/error handling page.

Thanks for report!

• @Noerman said:
    lianglee Please answer this since I personally going to use it.

Why not? its open source, php fox also have themes like facebook.

• @lianglee said:
    Why not? its open source, php fox also have themes like facebook.

Link: wpcandy.com/reports/facebook-sues-theme-developer/

Thanked by 1lianglee
  • Because necesariamante must be a clone of Facebook, I think it would be good to make a difference, to show something new

• @jason25 said:
    Because necesariamante must be a clone of Facebook, I think it would be good to make a difference, to show something new

We have alot of difference ^_^

• @lianglee said:

Like what, I honestly see the same

luck and greetings

• Blank page after installing.

• @albertdb said:
    Blank page after installing.

Can you post error_log on https://github.com/opensource-socialnetwork/opensource-socialnetwork/issues ?

• We are going to release new themes

• lianglee said: author.txt is file containing project owner name, contributors.md contain names of people of contributed to project

Yes I get that, couldn't you just merge that into one file though? A bit redundant to have a one line AUTHOR.txt, no?

• @AThomasHowe said:
    Yes I get that, couldn't you just merge that into one file though? A bit redundant to have a one line AUTHOR.txt, no?

Sure, tomorrow we are going to release 1.3 development version so you can see the changes !

• albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited September 2014

I don't have a GitHub user. Here it is:

[06-Sep-2014 21:53:56 UTC] PHP Warning:  include_once(/home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/configurations/ossn.config.site.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/system/start.php on line 26
    [06-Sep-2014 21:53:56 UTC] PHP Warning:  include_once(): Failed opening '/home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/configurations/ossn.config.site.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/system/start.php on line 26
    [06-Sep-2014 21:53:56 UTC] PHP Warning:  include_once(/home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/configurations/ossn.config.db.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/system/start.php on line 27
    [06-Sep-2014 21:53:56 UTC] PHP Warning:  include_once(): Failed opening '/home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/configurations/ossn.config.db.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/system/start.php on line 27
    [06-Sep-2014 21:53:56 UTC] PHP Warning:  implode(): Invalid arguments passed in /home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/classes/OssnDatabase.php on line 149
    [06-Sep-2014 21:53:56 UTC] PHP Warning:  mysqli::mysqli(): (28000/1045): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/classes/OssnDatabase.php on line 25
    [06-Sep-2014 21:53:56 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function query() on a non-object in /home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/classes/OssnDatabase.php on line 53
    [06-Sep-2014 21:54:01 UTC] PHP Warning:  include_once(/home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/configurations/ossn.config.site.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/system/start.php on line 26
    [06-Sep-2014 21:54:01 UTC] PHP Warning:  include_once(): Failed opening '/home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/configurations/ossn.config.site.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/system/start.php on line 26
    [06-Sep-2014 21:54:01 UTC] PHP Warning:  include_once(/home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/configurations/ossn.config.db.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/system/start.php on line 27
    [06-Sep-2014 21:54:01 UTC] PHP Warning:  include_once(): Failed opening '/home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/configurations/ossn.config.db.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/system/start.php on line 27
    [06-Sep-2014 21:54:01 UTC] PHP Warning:  implode(): Invalid arguments passed in /home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/classes/OssnDatabase.php on line 149
    [06-Sep-2014 21:54:01 UTC] PHP Warning:  mysqli::mysqli(): (28000/1045): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/classes/OssnDatabase.php on line 25
    [06-Sep-2014 21:54:01 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function query() on a non-object in /home/hostingo/public_html/ossn/classes/OssnDatabase.php on line 53

• Some other open source social networking
    Elgg
    Diaspora

Commercial social networking for a company
    yammer

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@lianglee said:

Yes - you're missing a lot of Facebook features.

This is just a crappy attempt to clone Facebook. Zero new ideas.

Yawn.

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • @albertdb said:

Its seems the system cannot connect to mysql database, please check your connection else send me server details using Private Message i can fix it for you.

edited September 2014

@raindog308 said:

Yes your right, but what ever we done and what ever we are doing, we are doing it for free, no one is paying us.

edited September 2014

@vampireJ said:
    Some other open source social networking
    Elgg
    Diaspora

Commercial social networking for a company
    yammer

If you see my elgg profile ( https://community.elgg.org/profile/arsalanlee ) you will see that i have more than 45 elgg plugins. I am doing it for free, I personally like working on open source, i like to help people for free.

I also worked on : https://github.com/buddyexpress/BuddyexpressDesk
    https://github.com/buddyexpress/buddymms
    https://github.com/buddyexpress/article_share
    https://github.com/buddyexpress/bdesk_photo
    https://github.com/buddyexpress/bframework

and i and working for open source

• @lianglee said:
    Its seems the system cannot connect to mysql database, please check your connection else send me server details using Private Message i can fix it for you.

Those errors appeared before installing. It can connect to the database because the DB tables have been created and have been filled by the installer. But after clicking Finish, you get a blank page and no more errors appear on the error_log.

I've sent you a PM.

• I looks like a facebook clone to be honest, I would edit it a little and then it could work.

• raindog308 said: Yes - you're missing a lot of Facebook features.

This is just a crappy attempt to clone Facebook. Zero new ideas.

But Facebook is a monopoly. It's very bad.

Such CMS is really cool idea. Even if there will be many little social networks.

I guess unique features will come soon) It's just a birth state. When facebook release first version it had less features than this CMS.

Thanked by 1lianglee
  • @Profforg said:
    I guess unique features will come soon) It's just a birth state. When facebook release first version it had less features than this CMS.

Yes you are right, we have plan to develop messenger for Windows OS (not mobile ), messenger for mobiles. many things.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• So what do you do for realtime stuff?

• I think we all should give the guy a chance and his project a chance. Every special project started out with small beginnings.

But the question perhaps of everyone in here for @lianglee is- you are already a contributor for elgg- why do you need to start a new project? What is perhaps missing from elgg that would be satisfied by your new project?

Thanked by 3Pwner Noerman Clouvider
  • @vampireJ said:
    I think we all should give the guy a chance and his project a chance. Every special project started out with small beginnings.

But the question perhaps of everyone in here for lianglee is- you are already a contributor for elgg- why do you need to start a new project? What is perhaps missing from elgg that would be satisfied by your new project?

This. Anyone who makes open source software and makes everything freely available gets a thumbs up from me!

+1 @lianglee

PS: Ignore the stupid trolls.