Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Banana PI Colocation or rent?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Banana PI Colocation or rent?

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
edited September 2014 in General

Hey,

As i saw today you can buy now the Banana PI for arround 40EUR maybe someone would like to offer Colocation for it or a rent option?

Its more powerfull as the Raspberry PI has 1Gbit, 1GB Memory and Dualcore CPU.

Thanks.

Comments

• If you would be willing to slightly up your price I've been eyeing up a Cubieboard3/Cubietruck recently.

AllWinnerTech SOC A20, ARM® Cortex™-A7 Dual-Core, ARM® Mali400 MP2 Complies with OpenGL ES 2.0/1.1

1GB/2GB DDR3@480MHz (960MTPS)

HDMI&VGA 1080P display output on-board

10M/100M/1G Ethernet

Wifi+BT wireless connection with antenna on-board

SATA 2.0 interface support 2.5' HDD, (for 3.5' HDD, only need another 12V power input)
    Storage solution: NAND+MicroSD or TSD+ MicroSD or 2*MicroSD

2 x USB HOST, 1 x OTG, 1 x Toslink (SPDIF Optical), 1 x IR, 4 x LEDs, 1 Headphone, 3 x Keys

Power: DC5V @ 2.5A with HDD, support Li-battery & RTC

54 extended pins including I2S, I2C, SPI, CVBS, LRADC x2,UART, PS2, PWMx2, TS/CSI, IRDA, LINEIN&FMIN&MICIN, TVINx4 with 2.0 pitch connectors

PCB size: 11cm 8cm1.4mm, very suite for installing a 2.5' HDD

Not really what you asked but I've been looking for a Pi with a bit more punch recently too.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Slightly?

• netomx said: Slightly?

The Banana Pi is $55-60ish most places. I guess it is a 200% increase but I still think it's a good, low-cost board.

Some of the ODroids are pretty cool too.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2014

Not a increase, its a decrase, it was around 80EUR last Month/Weeks

• @Infinity580 said:
    Not a increase, its a decrase, it was around 80EUR last Month/Weeks

It's not a very good machine, better to get a cheap kimsufi atom. Will cost you less and the performance is better

• Infinity580 said: Not a increase, its a decrase, it was around 80EUR last Month/Weeks

No, I mean the board I suggested is 200%ish the price.

I thought the Banana Pi was more expensive though, just assumed I was wrong when I re-read the OP.

If you do end up buying the Banana though I'd love to see some benchmarks and stuff. Not a load out there right now except a source or two.

I need something what is cheap and uses direct USB or 12Volt and is power efficent.
    So i go buy 1/2x Banana PI's i wanted to colocated one thats why i created that thread here or rent one.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

The big thing about Banana Pi is that it's supposedly compatible with Raspberry Pi enclosures and other accessories (but not the OS/kernel). So in theory providers which currently offer RPi colocation/hosting, should be able to just drop in a more powerful board into their customized racks/power/remote-reboot arrangements. That's the theory anyhow, no doubt in reality it won't be as simple.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2014

I just read the specs, it says 2A/5V, which is not the same as the Raspberry Pi (only 700mA at 5V). Also the power microUSB connector is on the side, which would be a problem for some RPi colo providers, depending on how they mount it. Also there are many connectors that stick out on the sides, which could be a problem for tight enclosures. So it's not a simple drop in replacement for the Raspberry Pi.

@AThomasHowe said:

I got one, what do you need

• Next thread title "Can I Colo my Samsung s5 please" . :D

• rds100 said: I just read the specs, it says 2A/5V, which is not the same as the Raspberry Pi (only 700mA at 5V).

Strange, I've read somewhere that Banana uses less power than Raspberry. Heat is also non-issue, while Raspberry gets pretty hot, Banana is cool as ice all the time.

rm_ said: The big thing about Banana Pi is that it's supposedly compatible with Raspberry Pi enclosures and other accessories

Yes, but not quite, cases don't fit because it has slightly different layout and the size is not exactly the same.

• vedran said: trange, I've read somewhere that Banana uses less power than Raspberry. Heat is also non-issue, while Raspberry gets pretty hot, Banana is cool as ice all the time.

I don't have a Banana Pi and haven't measured how much it really draws... i just read some specs found online. Perhaps it doesn't really need 2A? Don't know.
    If you have one you can measure it :)

edited September 2014

max 2A, as i saw 0,35A when you playing videos etc. I dont think that it uses the 2A it just for additional devices that you can plug them in without problems i guess.

Its quite fast when you using chrome btw:

RaspberryPI needs ages.

• volkankvolkank Member
    edited January 2015

PeriQ Networks added BananaPI hosting: http://prq.se/?p=rpi&intl=1

They provide hosting, both dedicated and co-location for Raspberry Pi's and Banana Pi's.

RPI's and BPI's are great for smaller services, like DNS, web hosting for small sites, and alot more.

@volkank 21EUR for a BPI is a joke.

Thanked by 2netomx rm_
  • volkankvolkank Member
    edited January 2015

If you are interested in BananaPI co-location, 14 items available on diygadget.com

Unit Price : $ 54.99

FREE shipping to USA & Canada,

5$/order Flat Rate (International) shipping to outside USA & Canada.

http://www.diygadget.com/banana-pi-dual-core-computer-with-arm-cortex-a7-dual-core-cpu-and-mali400mp2-gpu-free-low-profile-sd-to-micro-sd-adapter-and-heatsinks.html

TIAO corp. (d/b/a diygadget.com) has been trusted seller since 2005.

• volkankvolkank Member
    edited January 2015

@Infinity580 Alternatively you could host on playstar.se for FREE;

http://playstar.se/forum/thread/3462

Please email them if you're interested in,; [email protected] and mark the subject with "Pi-Location application" they will respond as soon as possible!

PS. They accept co-location applications from outside of Sweden, They also support BananaPi.

Thanked by 1elwebmaster
  • rds100 said: same as the Raspberry Pi (only 700mA at 5V). Also the power microUSB connector is on the side, which would be a problem for some RPi colo providers, depending on how they mount it. Also there are many connectors that stick out on the sides, which could be a problem for tight enclosures. So it's not a simple drop in replacement for the Raspberry Pi.

The 2A is probably to account for the extra power draw that would be present if you are having the board power a 2.5" Sata drive as well ;-)

I have a Cubbieboard3/Cubbietruck running debian @ Home, not a bad board although you need to use the sunxi kernel if you want the HDMI/VGA to work the stock linux kernel doesn't have the required drivers. The banana Pi might be the same in that regard.

• @Infinity580 said:
    volkank 21EUR for a BPI is a joke.

The banana pi has already been outdone... http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

@sc754 said:

Wow!

@sc754 ODROID-U3 is already out, which has 1,7Ghz Quadcore and 2gigs of RAM.

• @netomx said:
    Wow!

Where have you been?! :P

@David_P said:

Pretty busy :( I haven't made the raffle :(