Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard Drive Caddy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hard Drive Caddy

I've recently bought a NUC PC to use as a home server for Plex and torrents. The device is tiny so I only have a small SSD for the OS.

I have a 3TB drive with media on it for Plex. At the moment I've got it hooked up to the NUC using a USB to Sata adaptor with the HDD just hanging next to the PC.

I'd like to get a caddy to put the HDD in but not sure if its safe to run a HDD 24/7 using one of these. Your thoughts?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I have a 250GB IDE disk that has been running in the worlds cheapest fanless caddy for 4 years 24x7 and in use, I don't see an issue with it.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I have a 250GB IDE disk that has been running in the worlds cheapest fanless caddy for 4 years 24x7 and in use, I don't see an issue with it.

That's good enough for me!

My other thought was have two external HDD's in caddys, one for my media which only spins up when required, and the other for keeping seeding torrents on which could die easily from all the constant drive reading.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2014

Well which ever method you chose even if that is keeping your spare drive in a tub of water.... it will still be more stable than CVPS :)

• Don't worry about it, most likely the cheap power supply to the caddy will fail first in my experiance...

Go esata or FireWire if you can!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

how much watts use one of these NUC's btw? for example Celeron or i3?

• @Infinity580 said:
    how much watts use one of these NUC's btw? for example Celeron or i3?

I bought the 4th generation i3 NUC. The specs and reviews say its 65W. I think thats pretty good.