Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a VPS where to run masscan
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a VPS where to run masscan

DaniCDaniC Member
edited September 2014 in Providers

Hello, i'm looking for a vps provider that will allow me to run masscan https://github.com/robertdavidgraham/masscan (mainly on port 80/8080 but others are not necessary excluded).

Actually mass scanning networks will generate a lot of abuse requests, which obviously the provider should not consider.
Just that, no spam, not hacking not other malicious activity.
I need this for research purpose, as later i need to compute on produced data for a reasearch i'm doing.
Bitcoin-accepting and 1gbps port preferred.

Just to be clear, since i understand that the network connection in shared, is possible to set a rate limit for the software, so a provider can tell me which one to use not to bother the shared line.

Obviously i won't run it 24/7, i just need to perform 2/3 scans, which duration may vary a lot depending on network speeds.

Budget <20$

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited September 2014

Whoever you go with; stay out of Germany.

You may be better looking at HackForums to cater to this.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • you can get an ecatel box for 29 euros/month.

• @cloromorpho said:
    you can get an ecatel box for 29 euros/month.

they add 10 euros setup fee and 10 euros "tax" ontop of it (not mentioned on their website.)

• @wych said:

You may be better looking at HackForums to cater to this.

Actually i won't ever consider anything that comes from there.

@cloromorpho said:
    you can get an ecatel box for 29 euros/month.

Seems a bit overpriced, also 1gbps is preferred.

• @DaniC said:

What about a cheap online.net box?

• @wych said:

Can you please elaborate?

• DaniCDaniC Member
    edited September 2014

@Harald said:

Germany has a bullshit law where 'hacking' may be easily applicated to everything. They have some anti portscanning law and other idiot policy even against hacking tool developers.

An online.net box may be an option, but actually i don't know how they would react to that. Do they monitor what happens? What about abuses? Masscan may get HUNDREDS of automatic abuse reports (just consider how many networks are in the world).

• My question is why the hell are you needing a mass IP scanner tool?

Thanked by 2hostnoob netomx
  • @Harald said:

Basically what DaniC said.

@DaniC said:
    An online.net box may be an option, but actually i don't know how they would react to that. Do they monitor what happens? What about abuses? Masscan may get HUNDREDS of automatic abuse reports (just consider how many networks are in the world).

I can't see them being happy about it, but I also see no other place he could get a 1gb Port and maybe someone who is OK with it.

@Mun said:
    My question is why the hell are you needing a mass IP scanner tool?

That would be nice to know.

• @Mun said:
    My question is why the hell are you needing a mass IP scanner tool?

My question is how the hell this could be your business?

You know that i can answer you whatever i want.

However, believe me or not, i just want to build a big index where compute data. I want to render some maps about devices geographic distribution and ISP distribution, as well as router model for ISP and other stauff like that.

Consider that if i had bad intentions i could do it just the bad way, trough hacked servers or shady providers.

• In many cases you can't even host the data from said script. Thus why I ask.

• DaniCDaniC Member
    edited September 2014

@Mun said:
    In many cases you can't even host the data from said script. Thus why I ask.

I'm curious now, which cases? All data gathered are in fact already public, and i do not do any harm since i do not look for vulnerability and target scanning is randomized, so it doesn't cause problems on low bandwitch subnets.

• @Mark_R said:
    they add 10 euros setup fee and 10 euros "tax" ontop of it (not mentioned on their website.)

You gotta pay extra if you need a provider who doesn't care about shady shit like port scanning.

• @DaniC said:
    I'm curious now, which cases? All data gathered are in fact already public, and i do not do any harm since i do not look for vulnerability and target scanning is randomized, so it doesn't cause problems on low bandwitch subnets.

Just because you wont use it to harm, doesn't mean no one else will you as a source to harm.

• @hostnoob said:
    You gotta pay extra if you need a provider who doesn't care about shady shit like port scanning.

Obviously, and I like to support that. but I'm just pointing out that the advertised prices are not the real total amounts at ecatel.