Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big 8TB HDDs are here
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Big 8TB HDDs are here

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Apparently Seagate is releasing a 8TB spinning disk in a 3.5 inch format. That's pretty impressive, even just a year ago such density seemed like it would be ages away.

I'm not a fan of Seagate, period, but I can admit that such big disks, if found reliable, could be worth a look. Right now the largest drives ColoCrossing routinely uses are 4TB RE4s (a tried and true rock solid platform).

Read more about it here if you are interested: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2599020/cloud-storage/seagate-scoffs-at-helium-ships-world-s-first-8tb-hard-drive.html

Thanked by 1Mark_R

Comments

• Everytime a bigger sized disk comes out, I think "damn, that's how much info I'd loose if it broke."

• Just imagine the Software build times!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

Somehow offers like Hubic's 10TB for 10 EUR do not seem to be that unrealistic (or even attractive!) anymore.

Thanked by 1tommy
  • I didn't even know there were 4,5,6 and 7TB disks yet.

Thanked by 1Silvenga
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2014

@rm_ this 8TB HDD costs 600EUR for now. Granted the price will probably decrease after some time, but 10TB for 10EUR per month still doesn't sound bad. Only if it was usable...

Thanked by 1Mark_R
    edited September 2014

rds100 said: this 8TB HDD costs 600EUR for now.

Yeah I was already thinking that while looking at 6TB drives, which are much more reasonably priced now.

rds100 said: but 10TB for 10EUR per month still doesn't sound bad

There's not just raw space, but "how much would you actually use", e.g. I don't think I'd fill more than 4-5 TB of Hubic even if I tried hard. So over 12-15 months it becomes cheaper to just buy my own HDDs to store (backup) this data instead of Hubic. The only undisputed benefit of Hubic instead of own disks/servers is that it's an offsite location.

• @hostnoob said:
    I didn't even know there were 4,5,6 and 7TB disks yet.

I'm not sure how you missed 4TB drives, but there don't seem to be many 5/6/7 drives out there.

• I'll be the first to take them if you offer these at CC.

edited September 2014

Detruire said: there don't seem to be many 5/6/7 drives out there.

There are no 5 or 7 TB drives, but 6TB were the ones that made big news prior to that 8TB one, and by now are produced by multiple vendors and are getting cheaper and more popular.

• @rm_ said:
    There are no 5 or 7 TB drives, but 6TB were the ones that made big news prior to that 8TB one, and by now are produced by multiple vendors and are getting cheaper and more popular.

Seagate and Toshiba have 5TB external hard drives available with fairly reasonable pricing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178501
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149522

Thanked by 1rm_
  • i never filled my 2T yet.

• ehab said: i never filled my 2T yet.

try this then
    http://www.supernews.com/

• @rm_ said:

Compared to 4TB drives which are now all over the place (partially thanks to being common in "external" form), 6TB drives are still rare.

• @black said:
    Everytime a bigger sized disk comes out, I think "damn, that's how much info I'd loose if it broke."

RAID?

• blackblack Member
    edited September 2014

@kcaj said:
    RAID?

Costs twice as much. Might as well buy 2x4TB drives that has a good track record.

• Sure the capacity is large but imagine how much the drive will slow down at around past 5tb. My 2tb drives slow down at around 200gigs clocking at 50 read and write.

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited September 2014

I honestly didn't even know there where hard drives above 5TB+.

• Any spinning disk above 4TB is simply not worth the trouble at 7200 RPM. Will take ~22 hours to fill this thing even with only zeroes. A RAID6 recovery for a single disk will take around a week. Knowing Seagate, it's not very unlikely to have another disk fail while recovering from failure of one disk :)

• OMG that is AWESOME!

@eddynetweb said:

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @black said:
    Costs twice as much. Might as well buy 2x4TB drives that has a good track record.

Pretty much. As drives get bigger, rebuild times are going to be insane. Even though RAID isn't a alternative to backups, I'm sure if there is a large enough amount of data, backing that up at regular intervals could be a pain in the butt.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • Every time a bigger HDD comes out, I always think, "Who needs that much space, really?"

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@CharlesA said:
    Pretty much. As drives get bigger, rebuild times are going to be insane. Even though RAID isn't a alternative to backups, I'm sure if there is a large enough amount of data, backing that up at regular intervals could be a pain in the butt.

That's what I was wondering too. I imagine a RAID rebuild with those drives could be quite a nightmare.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

It will be cost effective for remote data synchronization techniques but what if the HDD gets corrupted. Massive loss of data will occur -_-

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited December 2014

@Jeffrey said:
    Every time a bigger HDD comes out, I always think, "Who needs that much space, really?"

ME!! :D My MediaCenter pc with all DVDs I ever have bought, rented, loaned etc has become a collection of 1.500 DVDs. 50/50 4.5 GB or 8 GB disks.
    But that do only take some few TB of disk space. My new bluray collection, now with around 200 blurays in it (most at around 45 GB) take lots more space.
    And I will continue with buy, rent or loan new blurays, so I will need more and more space.

My computer has now 7 x 3 TB disk in it (and one SSD for OS). They are all pretty full now, around 400 GB left total. I'm now using three disks from one of my home servers to store new files on. And have ordered a HDD docking and a USB 3.0 card so I can add 4 more disk local on my computer. Then my next logical move is to upgrade from 3 TB to 6 TB disk. They cost around $350 each here in Norway now. A 3 TB around $150.

With the new HDD docking, I can "buy" some time, hoping the price goes down on 6 TB, and maybe 8 TB also will get a OK price when I really need to upgrade. (after using 4 x 3 TB in the docking). And there are also backup issues.

All of my DVDs + around 120 blurays I have on disk offsite. (if the house burns down). But after I got lots of new blurays from Black Friday (around 50) and the disk I don't have backup of, upgrading is the best backup solution money vice. I then just copy all data from 3 TB disks to 6 TB disks, then send the 3 TB disks out of the house.

If not I just now need to buy a 3 TB disk just for backup.

So it's people that me that always need bigger disks. And it's always best to double the disk space, when you think about money. Going from 3 TB to 4 TB is not a good investment.

• I don't trust them.

Don't they require Helium to work correctly? What happens when that gas leaks out after wear and tear?

Imagine rebuilding a RAID with those in it. No thank you I'll stick with 4 x 2 TB 24/7 duty cycle enterprise drives.

I wouldn't even use these on an R1Soft server.

• No, these are not with Helium as far as i know. The enterprise drives were with Helium, this one uses different recording method and doesn't have so many platters.

And with such a drive i wouldn't use RAID. I would rather copy archives to one drive and from time to time rsync them to another. It's caller "Archive drive" for a reason.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

said: I'm not a fan of Seagate, period

Yeah, me neither.

Jeffrey said: Every time a bigger HDD comes out, I always think, "Who needs that much space, really?"

8TB is not really THAT much data. If you think of a typical HD movie being...2.5GB or so in mp4 format?

(8 * 1000) / 2.5 = 3,200

That's a lot but it wouldn't be that hard to chew it up. Heck, if you don't compress blue-ray rips it's less than 300 movies :-)

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I don't think ColoCrossing has purchased a single Seagate drive in the past 4 years. We had a number of really negative experiences with their enterprise disks and haven't tried them again since.