Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to setup vpn client for android pptp
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to setup vpn client for android pptp

Ben_Ben_ Member

Hi,
I am so noob in this but i want to setup pptp server so i can connect to it through android and hide my real ip address and also get access to blocked websites. I am looking to get vps server to setup this. Can anyone have any automated script or tutorial so i can setup pptp server on my vps. I am looking to buy LES vps or Wable vps for it which one will be good? will ipv6 works or ipv4 nat?

Thanks and Regards.

Comments

• IPv6 won't work on Android for now.

Thanked by 1Ben_
  • Ben_Ben_ Member

ok i have got wable vps vpn bundle #1 any tutorial how to make it pttp or l2tp server so i can use it on android.

Thanks and Regards.

• @Ben_ said:
    ok i have got wable vps vpn bundle #1 any tutorial how to make it pttp or l2tp server so i can use it on android.

Thanks and Regards.

Very easy if you use SecureNAT.

http://blog.lincoln.hk/blog/2013/03/19/softether-on-vps/

Thanked by 1Ben_
  • said: Hi, I am so noob in

Why not OpenVPN? Lot's of tutorials on automated scripts (lots of security issues with PPTP as well). Android has had native support for OpenVPN since 4.0 (?).

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Silvenga said:
    Why not OpenVPN? Lot's of tutorials on automated scripts (lots of security issues with PPTP as well). Android has had native support for OpenVPN since 4.0 (?).

Most Android devices don't have OpenVPN built in (need to download app to support OpenVPN) which uses extra battery power. Android devices always have L2TP built in.

So it's better to use SoftEther VPN instead of OpenVPN.

Thanked by 2netomx Ben_
  • Chuck said: Most Android devices don't have OpenVPN built in (need to download app to support OpenVPN) which uses extra battery power.

The OpenVPN API has been embedded into every Android device since API level 14 (4.0, ICS). Any developer can make an OpenVPN client with these APIs. The VPN client built-in uses the PPTP and L2TP APIs and is just another application included by default. Both protocols require another client that controls the built-in and native APIs.

Both would use the same tival amount of power. Arguably the OpenVPN protocol is more efficient, hence uses less power. L2TP/IPSec must encapsulate packets twice (L2TP for transport, IPSec for encryption). Not to mention L2TP/IPSec is less flexible and overly complex.

Chuck said: So it's better to use SoftEther VPN instead of OpenVPN.

Why?

Thanked by 1Ben_
  • Why is SoftEther VPN better than OpenVPN for Android?

Because SoftEther has the option to enable to support L2TP for Android. OpenVPN doesn't. That's why Android device needs to download an app to use OpenVPN.

http://blog.lincoln.hk/images/softether_vps/l2tp.png

I have both OpenVPN and SoftEther VPN.

TLTR

The OP wants to use L2TP. It's better to use SoftEther VPN. With OpenVPN, you need to do some extra steps to use L2TP for Android.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited September 2014

Chuck said: The OP wants to use L2TP.

The OP wanted a PPTP VPN not a L2TP VPN. PPTP VPNs have some security issues so no one here is going to recomend using it.

The main alternatives for PPTP are L2TP through IPSec and OpenVPN. The OP believes him/herself to be a "noob". L2TP is very complex when compared to the simpler OpenVPN. OpenVPN is highly recommended for beginners who want to setup a VPN.

The OP wants a way to hide his IP and bypass censorship. Both protocols can do that. The OP also wants a script to help him/her set it up. There are hundreds of scripts for OpenVPN, not many for L2TP.

Chuck said: I have both OpenVPN and SoftEther VPN.

That is emulated support, hence not fully compatible with OpenVPN clients.

Chuck said: It's better to use SoftEther VPN

Why, what technical benefits are there? Android natively supports L2TP and OpenVPN. The only difference is that most Android devices have a default L2TP client. You just have to download a free OpenVPN app off the store.

SoftEther has yet to be audited by anyone. OpenVPN is arguably safer and more secure. We already know that OpenVPN is more efficient.

Chuck said: Because SoftEther has the option to enable to support L2TP for Android. OpenVPN doesn't. That's why Android device needs to download an app to use OpenVPN.

That cause and effect logic is flawed.

• OpenVPN Access Server... it takes about 5 minutes to setup. Easy to manage web interface and allows up to 2 connections with out having to buy any licenses.

• Thank you guys for help. I don't want openvpn because i have to install client for it and i want to use built in android pptp, l2tp, ipsec etc.. i am trying to install SoftEther now.

• I recommend against SoftEther. I though it's very cool software with a lot of functionality, but it lacks a lot of configuration. You can always install strongswan and configure ipsec, or strongswan and xl2tpd and configure ipsec over l2tp.