Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Closed, thanks Crissic Solutions) Open source encrypted messaging project looking for a sponsor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

(Closed, thanks Crissic Solutions) Open source encrypted messaging project looking for a sponsor

subrosasubrosa Member
edited August 2014 in Requests

We're Subrosa, an open source project to provide accessible end to end encryption. We have a web app where you can IM, voice, and video call someone (or groups) encrypted with strong cryptography. We're a FOSS project, developed by volunteers to counter mass surveillance and data mining of personal conversations, and we're looking for a sponsor for a medium VPS.

In exchange, we'd be happy to display a prominent blurb in the home tab of our app, seen by everyone who signs in. In addition, we'd be happy to include a banner in our homepage, along with mentions on our pages. Our audience tends to be quite technical, and those that would be interested in VPS/dedi hosting, SSL certs, etc.

Update: Thanks to @SkylarM from Crissic Solutions for sponsoring us a server. We really appreciate it!

Update: Thanks to http://zxhost.co.uk/ for sponsoring us a EU relay node.

Comments

• Wow, that's awesome! :)

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited August 2014

@GoodHosting and @Nick_A should take care of you :)

• Contact me. I'm interested.

• Tossed you a PM.

• @subrosa, I would highly recommend if you're short on time to go with @SkylarM's offer of help, he runs an awesome service. Otherwise wait for @NickA from Ramnode (the best VPS host in the industry, not my words, the words of a huge poll three times in a row).

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I can also offer you some VPS for this project, as I'm highly interested in such a solution as well. HMU if you are still inetrested.

• Thank you @0xdragon, @SkylarM, @AlexBarakov and others who offered privately.
    We've decided to go with Crissic Solutions for our main server.

We're still in need of a very small EU VPS for a small amount of TURN relaying. Please contact me if you're interested and have EU servers. Thanks again!

• Not sure if Crissic is the best choice for that specific project. SkylarM, you may run a professional service, but for me this thread completely spoiled it -> What kind of privacy does an end-vps user have?

"As necessary we may check common transmission directories to verify if it was installed as part of a script (a few of these install it by default) and to verify that the users intent is good (IE not downloading movies, etc)."

Checking directories? sorry, nope, none of your business ;(

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited August 2014

@chrisp said:
    Not sure if Crissic is the best choice for that specific project. SkylarM, you may run a professional service, but for me this thread completely spoiled it -> What kind of privacy does an end-vps user have?

"As necessary we may check common transmission directories to verify if it was installed as part of a script (a few of these install it by default) and to verify that the users intent is good (IE not downloading movies, etc)."

Checking directories? sorry, nope, none of your business ;(

Don't install torrenting software and we won't go anywhere near your container. It's against our AUP to install and/or utilize torrenting software. At least we're transparent about what we do, plenty of other providers do the same but would never admit to it because they are scared to.

I'd rather protect legitimate users and provide the best service I can rather than ignoring the fact that users are abusing their services for malicious intent.

• Thanks @chrisp for bringing that, I agree it is icky but plenty of providers run automated scripts to scan for abuse, and I think Skylar runs a professional and honest service.

For Subrosa specially, we're simply a 'dumb pipe' that transmits and stores encrypted data, and the security doesn't rely on someone peeking (our DB can be made publicly even and message confidentiality would still be protected).

• I am very interested in this.

• @subrosa said:

our DB can be made publicly even and message confidentiality would still be protected.

how is that?

• @Mark_R said:
    how is that?

Symmetric keys, probably.

This discussion has been closed.