Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One of my projects: HomepageMe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

One of my projects: HomepageMe

vahevahe Member
edited June 2012 in General

Just wanted to share one of my projects you guys might find useful. It's a website that let's you make a page (homepage) with links to your favourite sites, similar to Opera's speed dial. Also lets you assign keyboard shortcuts to each link for quicker access.

It was mainly targeted for students, since having quick access to course websites was a pain. Now, I guess you can use it for any sort of links.

homepageme.com

Comments

• Not gonna lie, that is real cool

• Kind of Igoogle? Yea, I like it.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

You may want to look at this for websites that you did not pick a logo for: http://screenshots.fanaticaldev.com/ :)

Thanked by 1Liam
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Damn, that looks cool.

• vahevahe Member

@joepie91 said: You may want to look at this for websites that you did not pick a logo for: http://screenshots.fanaticaldev.com/ :)

I've been looking for a service similar to this, this one looks good :)

@luis123456 said: Kind of Igoogle? Yea, I like it.

Similar, but no widgets. Another difference is, you page will be accessible anywhere without logging in at homepageme.com/yourusername (unless you decide to make it private)

@Jack said: That site doesn't work!

How does it not?

• vahevahe Member

@Jack said: That site doesn't work!

Looks like it's taking forever to generate...

I suspect it has some kind of timeout for screenshot generation. You may want to shoot the dev an e-mail to ask about it.

• subigosubigo Member
    edited June 2012

Good luck. There's quite a few other sites that do the same thing.

Example: http://myfav.es

@subigo said: Good luck. There's quite a few other sites that do the same thing.

Myfav.es is too bloated imo. HomepageMe is nicely clean and simple :)

• yomeroyomero Member

The fanaticalVPS site says it uses this

http://cutycapt.sourceforge.net/

So, must be easy to reimplement it.

• vahevahe Member
    edited June 2012

Just implemented the screenshots with bitpixels.com. So far so good :)

Thanked by 1yomero
  • yomeroyomero Member

@vahe said: Just implemented the screenshots with bitpixels.com. So far so good :)

It has an API or something I guess?

• vahevahe Member

@yomero said: It has an API or something I guess?

Yep, very simple though. But that's what we need right?

• @subigo said: Good luck. There's quite a few other sites that do the same thing.

Lot of other sites that offer hosting too, so good luck to you as well :)

• subigosubigo Member

@taipres said: Lot of other sites that offer hosting too, so good luck to you as well :)

Nope. I'm the only host in the world. Thanks though.

• TazTaz Member

@subigo you got the best TOS. Small and simple.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@vahe not gonna lie, I wanted to make that project for YEARS, and never made it. Congratulations you made it, and so nice!

Thanked by 1vahe
  • subigosubigo Member

You should create an option that doesn't require logging in (just a cookie).

• vahevahe Member
    edited June 2012

@netomx said: @vahe not gonna lie, I wanted to make that project for YEARS, and never made it. Congratulations you made it, and so nice!

Thanks, I've actually had a site similar to this since 2007. This is a better/redesigned version.

@subigo said: You should create an option that doesn't require logging in (just a cookie).

With a cookie, you'd lose all the customization when you delete your browsing data, and also the page wouldn't be accessible from any other computer. Anyway, registration takes only a few seconds.

• vanarpvanarp Member
    edited June 2012

It looks great. I like the simple UI.

I think it helps to implement Authentication by FB/Twitter/Google as well.

How about implementing PassPhrase authentication for those who hate to keep userid/passwords ? It makes people creative :-)

Would you mind sharing what vps config is powering this site?

Thanked by 1vahe
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

btw @vahe , I wanted to use it for school pages, lol.

• vanarpvanarp Member

@vahe In addition to my above feedback, I feel the need for instructions on how one can make the website as his/her homepage in various browsers.

Thanked by 1vahe
  • AdamAdam Member
    edited June 2012

One suggestion: Add the ability to build search queries.
    Create new shortcuts (such as 'Ctrl + g' for Google) that launch a modal box (e.g. lightbox) with your search form. After that, just forward the user with their query.

Since all the providers you have listed implement GET for their searches, you can forward the query without worry.

• vahevahe Member

@vanarp said: @vahe In addition to my above feedback, I feel the need for instructions on how one can make the website as his/her homepage in various browsers.

@vanarp said: I think it helps to implement Authentication by FB/Twitter/Google as well.

Thanks, @vanarp. This two are planned next update in addition to a short how-to video. I'm not sure what you mean by passphrase authentication :/

• vahevahe Member

@Adam said: One suggestion: Add the ability to build search queries.

I've thought about it, but I think it's easier to add Google and make 'g' the shortcut. Now just press g and start typing the query.

• Site design is simple and elegant. Great job :)

I feel its pretty much similar to all browsers. Please try something innovative :)

• vahevahe Member

@samrixe said: I feel its pretty much similar to all browsers. Please try something innovative :)

Well, at the time of making, the only browser with a similar feature was Opera.

• vanarpvanarp Member

@samrixe said: I feel its pretty much similar to all browsers. Please try something innovative :)

I humbly disagree. It is innovative with ability to launch fav sites with a single key stroke. Also, not all browsers have such good functionality without plugins.

Thanked by 1netomx